Need plan B fast! Alternate for Keystone- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Need plan B fast! Alternate for Keystone

/so the weather forecast isn't great for 8/1-8/5 in Keystone, CO. sooo... asking for any plan b options.

live in LA... so other than Northstar and Mammoth (been there, done that - kinda thing - wanting someplace i haven't been - any suggestions as to where to ride? looking for strictly dh . prefer black and double black trails. driving so Whistler isn't exactly an option.

help.. plz!

Glad to Be Alive
    how about Durango in lower colorado...they have some elite DH races there
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    how about Durango in lower colorado...they have some elite DH races there
    would the weather forecast differ between Keystone and Durango? Never been to Colorado so don't know the climate and regions.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuttle-Run View Post
    would the weather forecast differ between Keystone and Durango? Never been to Colorado so don't know the climate and regions.
    yes yes...very different but look it up....furthermore...weather is always changing in the rockies near the Denver area...it might look like hell now in the forecast but be all sunny when the days come...man it is still 7 days a way...just plan on driving somewhere and watch forcast
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    yes yes...very different but look it up....furthermore...weather is always changing in the rockies near the Denver area...it might look like hell now in the forecast but be all sunny when the days come...man it is still 7 days a way...just plan on driving somewhere and watch forcast
    coolio. thanks for the weather information.. not making a decision until thursday or friday, but just want to have an alternate in case weather goes really bad... will keep checking

thx!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    You're in the mountains...weather can change any second.

You'll be fine, if not drive to Winter Park or Sol Vista.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeRidin' View Post
    You're in the mountains...weather can change any second.

You'll be fine, if not drive to Winter Park or Sol Vista.
    thx! sounds like everyone is saying GO! ...

newless cluebie
    Sep 2009
    Angelfire?
    My Trifecta: Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro, Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC70, eBay Carbon Hardtail

mtbr member
    Like others have said your plan B options should be Sol Vista, Winter Park, Vail. All are within an hour or so of Keystone.

You must be looking at some kind of extended forecast. Its the Rocky Mountains, the weather changes all the time. In any event, some rain will do the mtns some good, and tacky up the trails for ya.

Rain is an okay thing. Lightning is what closes down the lifts and will make you want to kick puppies. So bring your rain gear and tear offs. Doubt you'll even use 'em. No need for mud tires, our sandy terrain really soaks it up, especially in that part of the 'hood.
    Biker? I don't even know her.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    We have had so many days lately we thought would end in storms and we never had a problem. Go with the flow once you're here.

Awesomist™
    Heck, if ya'll are gun be here for 5 days, you should really taste everything CO has to offer. Try and hit Keystone, Vail, Winter Park AND SolVista as there all inside of 2 hours from each other. SolVista isn't open during the week so much, but they do have Thursday evening and Friday afternoon shred hours, so keep that in mind. I'd skip Durango, I don't think they're really running anything good in the summer there. Telluride, however, is getting pretty awesome and worth a day if you want to ride there on your way in (or out) of Colorado.

Cheers!
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Oh no you di'int
    May 2009
    Wow, you can't trust a weather forecast in colorado past 3 days. You just have to just roll the dice unfortunately. Usually it is just afternoon thundershowers.

mtbr member
    Natural Ice?
    Gnar Cal!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by knumbskull View Post
    Wow, you can't trust a weather forecast in colorado past 3 days. You just have to just roll the dice unfortunately. Usually it is just afternoon thundershowers.
    i keep seeing similar responses... i'm convinced to go... now convince my driver. without him... i'm screwed and can't get out there!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    thank you everyone for your input! i'm convinced i'm in... but well... i'm not the one driving out there... convince the guy driving so i can ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    wait are you going to CO or still planning a trip?

if CO:
    sol vista definitely. small hill with big features. seems like it was built by actual serious riders.
    vail NO. huge hill with no real challenge and a bit further from DIA than the others in summit & grand county.
    winter park maybe(kinda tame)

Southern CO/NM:
    Angelfire a big Hell Yeah. awesome place. just get ready to be shut down by lightning. they won't run the lifts when it is going.
    Durango area: lots of sweet trail riding but not much lift access DH IIRC. dunno about wolf creek.