Need Opinions About going tubless- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Need Opinions About going tubless

Are there any of you out there that ride downhill and freeride with tubeless tires? I have never rode tubeless, but just bought a Ventana El Cuervo that has tubeless tires. I don't usually pop many tires, but I do tend to do a lot of jumps and drops (more freeride than racing style). Do downhill tubeless tires hold up on drops? I am a bit worried, should I just put tubes in them to be safe?

freeride jerk
    if you do more freeride i would just get some new freeride/downill tires with tubes. I have had the kenda nevegals for about 8 months now and they havnt popped or gone flat yet. and i do the same type of riding as you.
    Im no genius but if the tires say tubless i wouldnt put tubes in them since there deigned for, well....not having tubes.
    get some tubes dude.
    SHANTY

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Read ya, I was just thinking about using my old rims and tires from my old DH bike if I were to pull the tubless off.

mtbr member
    Tubless tires with stans goop work pretty damn good fro FR. I have had good success with the wirebead nevegals and ghetto tubless kit as well.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I ride quite a bit of DH/FR and I'm setup tubeless. Currently running converted Maxxis ADvantage 2.4's. For resort days I usually run Minion/Highrollers tubeless.

Bottlerockin'
    ...and they are fine for doing big-bigish sized drops/hits?

mtbr member
    you cant pinch flat them.....

Quote Originally Posted by coiler8

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    The big thing I've noticed with some converted tires is that they tend to squirm around even if they don't totally come off the rim on big drops. I've done some honest 15+ footers on converted Blue Grooves, it was sketch. On the ADvantages, I haven't gone that big yet but what I have done, they feel rock solid.

On actual UST Maxxis Minion/Highrollers I've noticed no weird behavior what so ever.

Bottlerockin'
    cant you "burp" air out of them though?

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    cant you "burp" air out of them though?
    Yes, I've had that issue on super light converted tires but no on heavier tires or UST specific tires.

mtbr member
    I think if you dent the rim you're screwed though. Anyone do this?
    Hubbard Bike Club

Bike Ninja |||
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn
    I think if you dent the rim you're screwed though. Anyone do this?
    If you dent a rim with a tube, you're screwed as well, because you probably pinch flatted.

you can always throw a tube in a tubeless set up if you can't get it to seat on the trail.
    i've run tubeless for a good 8 months now of hard riding, large drops (everything at keystone.. yes. finally got jaws! ) and only burped a bead once, lost about 4psi.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

Bottlerockin'
    is tubeless a pain to maintain? they can only last 3 months correct? how long would you say the initial set up is? i have tubeless michilen dh24s on transition revolution rims with dh tubes right now and am considering running tubeless...

mtbr member
    is tubeless a pain to maintain? they can only last 3 months correct? how long would you say the initial set up is? i have tubeless michilen dh24s on transition revolution rims with dh tubes right now and am considering running tubeless...
    Tubeless isn't hard to maintain at all. The only downsides I've found w/ a tubeless set up is one, the initial set up, you get better at it the more times you do it, but it's always going to be more trouble than just putting a tube on, and two, if you switch out tires a lot, it takes longer and is way more involved than again, just putting in a tube and going. And if you do flat on a ride it sometimes can be a huge pain and take a long time to get your tire full of air again. I've kept the same tire on tubeless though for over three months w/ no problems, but the stans was all gone when I finally did take the tire off. It did hold air fine though. The plus I've liked and keeps me thinking about going back to a tubeless set up is that I can run higher pressure and get close to the same traction. Means less dents on my rear rim than w/ a tube and a better rolling tire. So for the time being, tubes for everyday riding, tubeless for racing if I'm not feeling lazy.
    If you don't have a UST rim I'd sugest either the Maxxis rim strips (if you can find them still) or ghetto w/ a BMX tube. I hate the Stans strips, pain in the ass. Maxxis's are way easier to inflate, and the BMX is about as hard as the Stans strips, just a small fraction of the price.

Bike Ninja |||
    easy. they maintain great, but then again i change tires every month - month and a half.

There is some website that has a whole big write up on how to ghetto-tube but it's real easy if you ask me.

take a 20" tube, stretch it around the rim
    flay the tube open and open up the flaps so they cover the beads
    wipe a bit o' stans on the bead of the rim (well.. the tube that's covering the bead. it helps the tire seal better)
    install on side of the tire
    put two of the stan's red cups of sealant in the tire
    install the other side
    fill er up with air (50-55psi for first hour.. insured the bead seats)
    then drop 'er down to whatever psi rocks for you.

i probably made it sound harder then it is.

haven't had a problem at all with any of my tubeless set ups, nor any of my customer's set ups. most people wear out their tires before they need to redo their set up.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Just this evening, I decided to throw on some beefier tires on my wife's bike before we rode. I spent a total of 15 mins pulling off the current tubeless setup and converting 2 non-tubeless tires. Helps to have an air compressor but a good floor pump will do when combined with a little Stans.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    Just this evening, I decided to throw on some beefier tires on my wife's bike before we rode. I spent a total of 15 mins pulling off the current tubeless setup and converting 2 non-tubeless tires. Helps to have an air compressor but a good floor pump will do when combined with a little Stans.
    air compressors are a must.....anyway..... UST rim the best....very easy to run tubeless without the hassels of a rim strip....usually takes as long as to take a tire off and put a new one on and then 2 scoops of stans and fill with air....helps to use soapy water to get the rim to seal easier......
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Mavic ex 823 w/ tubless michelin DH 32 tires....not a single problem so far. I ride them pretty hard, definately use soap and water to seat the bead. Stanz goop if you please, not really necessary though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    1) Running a tube in a tubles tire is fine, just unneccesary weight, but good for a trail fix
    2) You don't need stans in a UST tire, even if using a rim strip
    3) Dents in your rim aren't the end of the world, within reason
    4) Air compressors aren't mandatory, but they do help

I personally like UST tires because I think that stans is an unneceasry hassle because the choices in UST tires are pretty good nowadays

i like rocks
    i've been running a ghetto tubeless setup on azonic outlaws using some 2.5" dh casing kenda short trackers for about two weeks now, i ran them with "standard" tubes for a day.

the first one took me about an hour to figure out. the second one took 10 minutes. i lost a half pound, they have been 100% reliable (daily riding; urban/dj/commuting on the week days, trail, shore, urban and dj's on the weekends) and feel -really- good. its hard to describe, but they roll faster, have better traction and track better tubeless.

i'm sold on it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. It sounds like I should be fine, and can always carry an extra tube with me in my pack just incase.

My Cuervo has the following on it right now, and I rode it last night for the first time and they seemed to ride really well:

Front - Mavic 729 Disc Rim with a 2.5 Kenda Tire (John Tomac Series)
    Rear - Mavic 823 Disc Rim with a 2.5 Maxxis UST Tubless Tire

For those of you in the know, will this set up work well for me? (Again, thanks for the advice as going tubless has been like starting over on the learning curve)

Members who have read this thread: 0