Need new tires- Mtbr.com

Thread: Need new tires

Chinky on a Stinky
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by freerider167
    Ok so my specialized ones wear out really fast in the rear idk why, but anyways i need a set of good tires about the size of 2.4 specialized. i'm going to use these tires for Trail, FR and a little DH and Urban. i need some good tires that don't wear out too fast some that would last me most of the year. Also the tires need to have decent rolling reistance. anyone know of any good tries?
    price range?

im just donna suggest mobsters or minion supa tackys
    Straight outta Compton..............

Team Tony Train - FR/DH Forever!!!!
    Sponsors: White Devil Syndicate (we're workin on it 'aight?)

DREAM THEATER

mtbr member

Need new tires

Ok so my specialized ones wear out really fast in the rear idk why, but anyways i need a set of good tires about the size of 2.4 specialized. i'm going to use these tires for Trail, FR and a little DH and Urban. i need some good tires that don't wear out too fast some that would last me most of the year. Also the tires need to have decent rolling reistance. anyone know of any good tries?

mtbr member
    how is the wear life? price doesn't really matter to me as long as they last and are good.

mtbr member

Can't believe I'm going to say this...

But just got a couple pairs of the Bontrager Big Earl tires and they are awesome. I'm running the 2.6 ones. I was definitely sceptical, but they are getting quite a good reputation as a solid FR tire and I have to say that after putting them to use this past weekend, they live up to that reputation. I have been a Maxxis fan for the past 4 years, but these are equally as good as anything I've run from Maxxis (minions are awesome 90% of the time, but pack up badly in steep, wet, mulchy trail conditions) and better than my last set of Michelins for free riding.

The only complaint that I've heard with the Bontrangers is that they wear out fast. I guess that's the price of soft rubber though. I've only had them for a few days, but so far, everything has been excellent. Still want to test them in the wet (might be a problem for a while , but I've heard good things about their wet condition performance as well.

Just another choice....
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by knollybikes.com
    But just got a couple pairs of the Bontrager Big Earl tires and they are awesome. I'm running the 2.6 ones. I was definitely sceptical, but they are getting quite a good reputation as a solid FR tire and I have to say that after putting them to use this past weekend, they live up to that reputation. I have been a Maxxis fan for the past 4 years, but these are equally as good as anything I've run from Maxxis (minions are awesome 90% of the time, but pack up badly in steep, wet, mulchy trail conditions) and better than my last set of Michelins for free riding.

The only complaint that I've heard with the Bontrangers is that they wear out fast. I guess that's the price of soft rubber though. I've only had them for a few days, but so far, everything has been excellent. Still want to test them in the wet (might be a problem for a while , but I've heard good things about their wet condition performance as well.

Just another choice....
    they sound sick, but i need some long lasting tires that won't wear out fast. i'm willing to pay good money, but they would need to last.

Quote Originally Posted by freerider167
    they sound sick, but i need some long lasting tires that won't wear out fast. i'm willing to pay good money, but they would need to last.
    1. How did you wear out your tires so freaking fast?
    2. Check out the Marzocchi tires (made by Nokian). I've had good luck with a Nokian Gazz 2.3, but the Spec 2.4 is sig. bigger. Harder rubber will last longer, but it won't hook up as well, esp. when it gets wet. Also, to save $$ you can swap front to rear or keep front and get a new rear. Front wears a lot slower than the rear, and there is no reason to throw out a good front or let is rot in your garage until the rubber goes bad.

Tires are often quite personal and they are also highly dependent on what type of terrain and weather you're riding in. Good luck.

mtbr member
    idk how i wore them out but i have been on hardpack stuff and road stuff more and i guess attitash had something to do with it(especailly being the first time there).the current tires are soft compound and really made offroad only.i am thinking about getting some marzocchi or syncro tires but idk yet. i am prolly going to swahp out the treads and replace them with new ones later.

Bad Hand In Life
    I'd have to say that hands down for me, with your needs, I'd buy a set of Panaracer FR's. Just like the XC version, they will last you atleast a year. They actually measure to about a 2.55'' tire, and with lower pressure will probably spread to about a 2.7''. I live in VT, so I've put those tires through their paces in all conditions (rock'n in snow). Also, they are inexpensive. The rolling resistance isn't bad at all. I ride Urban, FR, XC, and Downhill with them basically every day. Oh, and they have a MX-esque look to them as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IFELL
    I'd have to say that hands down for me, with your needs, I'd buy a set of Panaracer FR's. Just like the XC version, they will last you atleast a year. They actually measure to about a 2.55'' tire, and with lower pressure will probably spread to about a 2.7''. I live in VT, so I've put those tires through their paces in all conditions (rock'n in snow). Also, they are inexpensive. The rolling resistance isn't bad at all. I ride Urban, FR, XC, and Downhill with them basically every day. Oh, and they have a MX-esque look to them as well.
    just what i am looking for. thanks!!

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by IFELL
    I run one on the front and couldnt be much happier..... I wouldnt say they are quite 2.7 though.... but definately 2.55...
    Nice tire... lasts long.. good grip(dry) good rolling, good priced, not too heavy... Just what you are looking for....
    Fills an 03 junior T
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

Schmeow Productions
    skidding is childish.

idk what tires to get.... i only run slicks.

Glad to Be Alive
    michelins
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

soviet pride
    larson TT or kenda kinetics is all i have to say
    im all about midget drops

Now riding Fox Shox!
    Jan 2005
    Hey guys... Im looking for a tire that:
    - is light
    - super soft compound and sticks to anything from mud to hardpack to sand
    - lasts forever
    - rolls like slicks
    - can run 10psi without pinch flatting

mtbr member
    If you use super tacky on urban, yes they will burn fast...on anything they burn fast...They rock for grip, that's what you pay for...If you want tires that last longer....they won't stick as good. DO you want to eat it or spend some more?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikepinkbikes
    larson TT or kenda kinetics is all i have to say
    how is the wear live on Kinetics?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestix
    If you use super tacky on urban, yes they will burn fast...on anything they burn fast...They rock for grip, that's what you pay for...If you want tires that last longer....they won't stick as good. DO you want to eat it or spend some more?
    as long a the grip is decent i'll take it. and no i don't skid on my bike on road but if you have been to attitash you would maybe know what i'm taling about. all i need is a high counpound tire that is good for dh fr, but can do urban without wearing out quickly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    I run one on the front and couldnt be much happier..... I wouldnt say they are quite 2.7 though.... but definately 2.55...
    Nice tire... lasts long.. good grip(dry) good rolling, good priced, not too heavy... Just what you are looking for....
    Fills an 03 junior T
    my friend has a pair, and he likes them and he went to camp with his bike. i'll see how much they have worn and if they haven't worn too much i'll pick up a pair. they seem nice for the price too.