Need a new rim , some good suggestions?- Mtbr.com
    RideDirt

Need a new rim , some good suggestions?

Hey guys, so basically my rear rim is dented up pretty badly right now. I have a few more runs left on it but i would like to fix it. I run the MTX 33 rims that came on my 2012 Kona Operator . Its my fault since i let out some air pressure for the dusty loose conditions and decided to hit some rocky trechy sections and rock gardens lol .

Im around 200lbs geared up and im not the smoothiest rider also , i just started riding this year . I really like the thickness of the MTX 33 rim but i was wondering if you guys would recommend another rim ? Maybe something a little lighter just as strong? Might be a good reason to maybe build a rear wheel for now and then finish up the front later this year.. What you guys think ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    stans flow, mavic 723, mtx 33 or 31's. I have all of them and they're great.

mtbr member
    The previously mentioned rims are great choices but I would also throw DT Swiss FR 600 and FR 630's on the list. I ride the FR 600's and they are very durable as well. The FR 630's are cheaper than the 600's and weigh about 30 grams more per rim so may be better suited for a larger rider (I'm 160 lbs).
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

turtles make me hot
    If you don't ride tubeless, the Salsa Gordo is an excellent rim.
    I like turtles

RideDirt
    Currently I am running with tubes ... Ill look into some of these rims

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    as a 200lb beginner you need something stout. don't focus too much on the weight. of course you don't want a boat anchor but a light rim will cause nothing but unwanted downtime and expense. you've got a lot of hard hits in your future. Have you checked some of the pre-build sets like the Azonic Outlaws? Can be had for a good price. I found myself in your situation many years ago. Bought a pair to ride out the season, "upgraded" over the winter and still have the Outlaws as a spare set. Can't tell you how many times I've lent them out. Something to consider.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Have you checked some of the pre-build sets like the Azonic Outlaws? Can be had for a good price. I found myself in your situation many years ago. Bought a pair to ride out the season, "upgraded" over the winter and still have the Outlaws as a spare set. Can't tell you how many times I've lent them out. Something to consider.
    That's a good point. The Outlaws are hard to beat at that price point. I have a good friend who just put them on his 303 RDH and he's no beginner either.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

DownhillBAWS
    outlaw or dmax

RideDirt
    Yea I see that outlaws are a popular solid rim . Ok great , I'll look into all that , since rock gardens are more my forte .

Glad to Be Alive
    for your weight the Outlaws are a great value and strong
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    for your weight the Outlaws are a great value and strong
    LOL...in fact it was SMT who suggested them to me when I bashed the hell out of my DT 5.1s. had to be 4, 5 years ago. Just paying it forward...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Also look at the new Stans ZTR Flow EX. It's wider and stronger rim than regular ZTR Flow.
    "Flow" is characteristic of the rider, not of the trail.

Now with More Wood
    If you DO decide that you want something a bit lighter, but still very strong, have a look at the Halo Freedoms. They perform better than their weight (and pricepoint) would suggest. At 550gms, they are about as light as you can go and still have a DH worthy rim. They take a serious beating, their profile holds up really well.

Members who have read this thread: 0