Need a new frame/bike!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Need a new frame/bike!

Hello everyone

Been lurking for a while but need your recommendations on something.

My Orange Patriot got its headtube/downtube box section badly dented in while at the Fort William DH course in Scotland a couple of weeks ago and I'm not happy with using it for downhill anymore so its going to be turned into a long travel trail bike.

Now i'm looking at replacement frames and was looking for recommendations.

I'm 5'10, 230 lbs (spend a lot of time in the gym so its not gonna come down a whole lot!) so it obviously needs to be strong! I ride mostly downhill, never drop more than 6ft (scares the hell out of me and I think my ankles would snap! )

Been looking at:
    Demo 9 (2004 obviously) - on offer at the moment at an online store with 500 off
    VP-Free

But any frame/bike will be considered as long as I can get it here

Not overly interested in another Orange (223 etc), ride well but the paint and warranty aren't exactly great (1 year).

Have a 888 fork I'd swap onto it, everything i'd be buying new pretty much I think.

Any help would be appreciated.

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    well going from what u can see...

id say a big burly kinda bike would do u quite well...i would reccomend a banshee scream...but i dunno if you would be able to get ur hands on one and its more of a freeride kinda bike...DEMOs are great burly bikes that can take the big hits and pretty much most abuse you can throw at em...there quick also and suit 888s very well...RMXs are great big hitting burly bikes also but i also dont know if you could get one of would want one on the basis alone its a single pivot freeride bike...great bikes tho...big hits are nice frreride bikes...built up with some DH componentry your 888 and the 24" in the rear which would suit ur height could be a cheaper way of building up a very tough bike...there more on the heavy side tho...

ahhhhh...bit of a mental blank here but if you would like any more suggestions i can think about it some more later...but if you want more detailed responces then just ask...

but as for VP-Frees go...sweet bikes...i dunno how a big guy like your self would go on one...for a freeride bike there rather nimble in design...the strenght of the frame would be amazing seems as its a santa cruz but mght not feel as solid underneath you as you orange...i can assure you the DEMO...scream...RMX definatly would feel solid...

anywas its my dinner time so if you want more just ask...and good luck...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thanks BJ-

Didn't even realise we could get Banshee over here, they are under B Bikes here for some reason, so I'll definitely look into them.

The RMX is also worth considering since my preferred local shop is a RM dealer.

I was having the same thoughts about the VP Free, I was looking at them before this happened as a kind of mega long travel trail bike, but now my orange will go into that role.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Giving this a bump for anymore suggestions of bikes/frames I should look into.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you are worried about warranty (ie: like your Orange), stay away from the RMX...6mths, voided by competitve racing. However it is a strong bike. Astrix makes a pretty solid DH ride as well....Mike Wilson has sure put it through it's paces. I'm looking at their FR bike, and they have been great in terms of answering my annoying questions. Also, you don't see 500 of them on the trails, so that's a nice bonus. What about other DH bikes like the Turner or Ventana El Cuervo. You are looking at the VP-Free, why not the V10 (more of a race geometry)? These should all be solid rides....no idea about availability for you though. I guess if you want it bad enough, you can always have it shipped

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Turner is an option, was impressed by the review of the 2005 in Dirt Mag (think you guys can get it over there).

V10 looks almost delicate in a way, I'm kinda scared my fat ass will be too much for the poor thing (sure it wouldn't though).

At this point I'm willing to look into anything since i'll have the chance to do lots of (annoying for you guys ) research while I scrape the cash together.

Don't know if we can get ventana (probably can from somewhere though), we have all the major 'boutique' brands though (foes, intense, yeti, santa cruz, devinci etc)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, if you want strong, Foes is probably tops. I don't think you'll find a stiffer bike...any number of owners here could back that up, and with the curnett shock, you've got a sweet suspension system. Dunno if I'd consider Devinci a boutique brand, but I'm a little wary of their new frame...8 lbs, 8" travel...doesn't sound super-strong to me, but I'm not basing that on anything other than the weight :P

Just my 2 cents, I'm not really a DH'er, but I'm bored, so I'm just mentioning some of the more obvious choices

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hope hey

the vp free and v10 are burly bikes, i have seen people thart way 200 to 250 on em up in whislter they held up fine. I also own a v10 and they are a burly bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby
    Just my 2 cents, I'm not really a DH'er, but I'm bored, so I'm just mentioning some of the more obvious choices
    Any help is appreciated!

I guess I classify Devinci as boutique as they're rare over here, but so are most things that aren't Orange or a Spec Big Hit.

Thanks Downhilling Machine. I REALLY like the look of the new V10 was just wary of its racing tag and my fat a**, lol.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

well

yeah i have a vpfree for practicing and the v10 for my downhilling, i think they are awsome bikes, and i have a triple 8 on mine, and it rides so smooth.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thanks will definitely reenter it into the decision process then!

Chinky on a Stinky
    May 2004
    you should consider any model of the stab primo with a moster T cuz that frame is freakin strong

my overweight friend was turning a blind corner at full speed and a car ran smack into him at about 20-25 mph. there was absolutely no damage to his 00 stab primo, hell, there was more damage to the car cuz the bumper was hanging off, and there was a big dent in the hood (my friend just got some scratches)

anyway my point is that stab primos are incredibly strong frames, build it up with an avalanche and a monster t, then u've got one tough DH machine (smooth ride btw)

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I hadn't really been considering Kona's to be honest as I've had three friends go through like 10 different replacements on the Stinkys, is the Stab substantially stronger enough to consider it, or have they changed their methods enough since 2002? (None of them ride them anymore)

I'm just wary you know how it is once you see something break something multiple times.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    In my experience, I haven't seen that with the newer stinkies/stabs, but I hear you. I would be wary too. If you don't have confidence in your bike (even if it's not well-founded), your riding will be severly compromised. Once the seed of doubt is planted....

Again, not saying anything about the Kona's, but just something to consider

Chinky on a Stinky
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chimponarope
    I hadn't really been considering Kona's to be honest as I've had three friends go through like 10 different replacements on the Stinkys, is the Stab substantially stronger enough to consider it, or have they changed their methods enough since 2002? (None of them ride them anymore)

I'm just wary you know how it is once you see something break something multiple times.
    well, since my friend's stab is a model 2000, i don't no much about the newer stabs

they still are built like tanks though. if i were you, i'd look into a stab primo frame

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'll take a look at one if I get chance (which is the main problem with this country is getting to see them first!). Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Hi Guys

Decided on a 2005 demo 9 I think. Just got to decide on sizing.

I'm leaning towards a small but thought I'd see if anyone had any opinions to the contrary (i'm 5'10).

Any help would be apprecated.