Need a new bike - input?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Need a new bike - input?

I have a K2 flying monkey right now, love it, but there are some upgrades that need to be done in order to get it where I want it, and I think I'd rather spend that money on a new bike.
    stock:

removed obnoxious fender and big and small gears up front. (1x9 now).

I'd like to stay hardtail, but I feel like everybody here preaches FS due to the nature of the forum. I like freeride-ish jumping and such and getting into dirtjump (but don't want a dj-only bike). I like the small-ish geometry of the monkey but I was wondering if there was a better HT freeride frame out there that jumps smoothly yet can take the light DH/freeride courses as well.

So I can either
    1. rebuild basically everything on the K2 (cranks, bashguard and guide, brakes, fork).
    2. sell half the monkey and move good parts over to scratch HT freeride build.
    3. sell whole monkey and get new (used) complete bike.

What do you say?

Picture Unrelated
    First things first, I would try and sell the K2 complete. It will be easier to sell, you won't have a bucket of parts left over that you can't sell, and it will be far less hassle if you don't have to spend time physically parting out the bike.

As for bike options, you might want to consider slopestyle bikes. The first bike that came to mind reading the description of what you want to do was the Transition Bottlerocket. It's a great bike, tons of fun, and should be all the things you want out of a bike. There's some other bikes worth considering but I don't have any first hand experience with any of those. Hopefully others will jump in to fill in the blanks.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Mountain Dew enthusiest
    I second the bottlerocket option. I have one and I love it. But if you really want a hardtail, I'd go take a look at the Transition TransAm. I haven't gotten to ride one but I've heard some really good things about them.
    wishes Iowa had mountains

'11 Transition Bottlerocket frankenbuild
    '09 Origin-8 Interrogator frankenbuild
    '80 Rumme

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alex55
    I second the bottlerocket option. I have one and I love it. But if you really want a hardtail, I'd go take a look at the Transition TransAm. I haven't gotten to ride one but I've heard some really good things about them.
    The TransAm is geared towards xc/am so I don't think it would be be the bottlerocket equivalent of a hardtail. Maybe something more like an evil faction...

mtbr member
    id say this is the worst site to ask about a new bike since its far too opinionated, bias and obnoxious.

just wait for the culprits to arrive.

my honest advice to those starting is to do long travel hard tail with travel adjust to keep the xc/dj capabilities of a hard tail. and with the longer travel will keep dh open and the hard tail will teach you good technique. (about as unbiased advice as you can get...)
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    see if you can get your hands on one of these

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by bxxer rider
    id say this is the worst site to ask about a new bike since its far too opinionated, bias and obnoxious.

just wait for the culprits to arrive.

my honest advice to those starting is to do long travel hard tail with travel adjust to keep the xc/dj capabilities of a hard tail. and with the longer travel will keep dh open and the hard tail will teach you good technique. (about as unbiased advice as you can get...)
    You have no fewer biases than anyone else that posts here so don't try and play "holier than thou".

Post your honest opinion; that's all anyone asks or expects of you. Should you decide to provide commentary on top of your opinion it will be dealt with accordingly.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Wanna ride bikes?
    Jamis Komodo works for what you want:
    Hardtail
    Built for jumps and the slopes, but able to do trails if built correctly.

The only thing people can rag on it is for

1. Not liking Jamis,
    or 2. Not having the best components right off the bat, but they get the job done until you can get something better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    You have no fewer biases than anyone else that posts here so don't try and play "holier than thou".

Post your honest opinion; that's all anyone asks or expects of you. Should you decide to provide commentary on top of your opinion it will be dealt with accordingly.
    was just making a leap of faith and not posting an opinion, just sensible advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougie
    see if you can get your hands on one of these

stiffest frame on the planet!!!

l have a bud who owns one of those... l think l broke my back riding it, it's so rigid.

at 45, l'm over the hardtail rigs but l test ride them from time to time.

l'm a big fan of the Transition line (that's why l sell them).

Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

i be lurkin
    dam that evil so sweeet. heres my opinion on what to get...and a reasonable price

me: "mom dont ride yer brakes "mom: "shut up"

Members who have read this thread: 0