need input on some FS bikes- Mtbr.com
    Madmaxx

need input on some FS bikes

After years of hardtail riding, it's time to add a new FS bike to my collection. I would love some input on the following bikes and/or other suggestions.
    Gary Fisher HiFi
    Santa Cruz Nomad, Blurr, & Heckler
    BMC Superstoke & 4-Stroke

I'm looking for something relatively light (no overbuilt Red Bull Rampage stuff), come with a nice fork (gary fisher seems to always skimp in that department), no as pricy as an airplane, and smooth, consistnet rear suspension (none of that breaking point crap were it's soft in the first 2 inches and then hard as a rock for the rest of the travel). Thanks in advance.
    Texas Swimming and Diving... GO BABY GO!

When in doubt, go faster
    Yea fisher realy doesnt pay enough attention to their forks.
    Sorry i cant help you with those bikes.

Premium Member
    What kind of riding are you doing? Only cross country trails? Are you interested in fast downhills, drops, and jumps at all? If so, what size?

How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

For an all around bike (for everything from trail riding to DH to drops) the Nomad is IMO the best bike for you. The VPP design is efficient and it's light but strong. It's a very middle-of-the-road design where it can do everything. The Heckler is similar, but single pivot and with less travel. Both sound like good bikes for you.

The Blur and HiFi are IMO too XC for all-around riding and they'll end up being fragile.

I'm not familiar with BMC.

The thing about buying a bike is that fit is the most important thing. Your bike could have the best fork in the world but if it doesn't fit right it won't matter. Then comes geometry (how the bike will handle) and design. So you've gotta know what you're gonna do with it and what features you like from certain bikes. Then comes the suspension and wheels.

mmmm, caffeine!
    It depends on what kind of riding you'll be doing.
    If you want a light FR/AM bike, than i'd say go for the Nomad.
    But if you want a "hard core" FR bike, than there are quite a few options such as the:
    Cove Playmate & G-Spot, Kona Stinky, Stinky Delux, Stinky Dee-Lux, Stinky Supreme,
    and a hell of a lot more........so it's up to you.

Madmaxx

some more info on me

i'm 5'11", 180lbs., aggressive rider, lots of downhill, lots of jumps, don't think i've ever done a drop over 5ft. (i'm workin on it though). I do a good amount of climbing, but i'd be on my Jericho for a ride like that. All-in-all, i want something that's not too heavy for medium climbs at the moto-cross park, but can still handle summer trips to Whistler.

any info on bikes i should stay the hell away from would also be great

Max

pwn3rator
    vp-free is what you want, or an uzzi, or an sx trail...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by scabrider
    vp-free is what you want, or an uzzi, or an sx trail...
    great choices for the best....

less cash stinky/Coiler or used Bullit
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

ride hard take risks
    Versus Blitz II is a sweet do all bike that can handle any type of riding you can dish out. Needle bearings at all pivots with zerk fittings for easy lubrication & simple to maintain. If you think you need more than 6.7 inches of travel then look at the Trigger with 7.5-8.5 inches of travel.

http://www.versuscycles.com/blitz_detail.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Madmaxx

yo Dogonfr

yo Dogonfr, bike looks nice... weight? how long you been riding one? what kind/size of chainrings you got upfront? How much ya pay? you build it up yourself?

KOKOPELLI RACING
    i have an ellsworth moment that i love. give it a go before you plunk down your loot.
    kokopelli racing

Mountain Biker
    This bike would be good for you too.. or the nomad... or a sx... or a balfa!!
    Be at the Rio on June 12th at 7:00pm!

Premier of Sonar!

mtbr member
    The Hi-Fi and 4-Stroke are XC race bikes. Not what you want at all. Same with the Blur XC. A Blur LT might be OK, but if I was you, and wanted a Santa Cruz I'd be trying to decide between the Nomad and the VP-Free. All the other suggestions people have posted sound good too, though the Uzzi and the Trigger are definatly overkill. Not that that's nessicarily a bad thing. The VP-Free's probably more bike than you really need too. As for the Superstroke, it's a nice trail bike, but the geo's a little steep to be a really stellar descender/ small drop bike. The Transition Bottle Rocket (green bike right above this) is a good choice.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Madmaxx
    yo Dogonfr, bike looks nice... weight? how long you been riding one? what kind/size of chainrings you got upfront? How much ya pay? you build it up yourself?
    That one was the early ones Versus took to Interbike & is now a piece of art hanging on the wall. I have the original Blitz, saving my pennies for the Blitz II. My old Blitz is 2 years old but cannot be compaired to the new Blitz II. Weight depends on components that depend on how you will be riding, Versus built one to 32 pounds but there is alot of CF for that. So you can say you can build a Blitz II from 32lbs up. On the chain rings, 22-34 is a good combo unless you plan on doing DH.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...t=versus+visit

The 32lb Blitz II
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    That 32# Blitz looks like a pretty reasonable build- definatly able to handle my skinny ass. Nice.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    That 32# Blitz looks like a pretty reasonable build- definatly able to handle my skinny ass. Nice.
    Ya you could probibly DH that bike.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Ya you could probibly DH that bike.
    If I can hit 3'ers on a 19# XC hardtail, I could definatly DH that.

Madmaxx

Kona Coil Air!

What about the Kona Coiler... 6" rear, 6" front, comes with a $1000 kick ass fork, XT components, DH crank with guard, 30lbs total weight, and one is on sale right now for $2,100! Anyone have any reason not to buy??? Speak now of forever hold your piece because if my credit card clears I will have it by the end of the week!!!!

Max

not really a noob
    gary fisher= crappy handling
    santa cruz= crappy bushing and bearings
    never heard of BMC as bikes, but it is the same initails as the counties hospital. great staff.
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD

I post too much.
    Coil-air looks like a nice bike to me. Pretty much an all-rounder as opposed to a specific riding type, which seems to be what you want.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    You should check out the Yeti AS-X. It weighs in at about 37 pounds (at least, my size M one does) but it's extremely climable, especially for its weight. Fun bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardcore newbie
    never heard of BMC as bikes, but it is the same initails as the counties hospital. great staff.
    www.bmc-racing.com

They make some SICK XC and road bikes. Nothing DH worthy though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Madmaxx
    What about the Kona Coiler... 6" rear, 6" front, comes with a $1000 kick ass fork, XT components, DH crank with guard, 30lbs total weight, and one is on sale right now for $2,100! Anyone have any reason not to buy??? Speak now of forever hold your piece because if my credit card clears I will have it by the end of the week!!!!

Max

Where did you find that at? I am having trouble finding coilers on the net

mtbr member
    Also I hear that the coiler is an awesome bike to start out with. I got alot of suggestions about transition bikes to

resident cynic
    From what your saying and the bikes you listed it sounds like your coming from an XC background. There is alot of fun techy stuff in Austin that you could benefit from having a bike like the Transition bottle rocket: Mid range travel, beefy frame, short chainstays, slack head angle, and a stable platform for pedaling. This bike would also be good for the stair gaps and skinnies that abound on UT's campus. Seriuosly though, forget bikes like the Fishers and BMCs. They are designed for XC riding, not fun riding.

mtbr member
    billy talent is awseome
    IS THIS SOMETHING YOU CAN SHARE WITH THE REST OF US AMAZING LARRY ?!?!?!

aircooled VW FTW

mtbr member
    May 2006

Nicolia

Just another suggestion that you should consider is the nicolia fr great bike adjust from 4 to 7 inches and you can adjust head angle to climbs great and go down hill great very beefy to comes with a 5 year warranty to

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hardcore newbie

mtbr member
    I suggest rocky mountain Switch S1. I transfered from ht to fs and the Switch did the job for me. It only ways 36 pounds with 7-8 inches of travel front and rear thats pretty lite. This bike can do any thing you throw at it from downhill at resorts to trail ride to even some jumping.

Members who have read this thread: 0