Need help jumping- Mtbr.com
    dirt visionary

Need help jumping

I seem to have a problem with jumping on my new sxtrail. I have been freeriding my med enduro with 50mmstem for somebit. I jump very well on the enduro but I bought an sxtrail because I am progressing . Anyways with the sx I am getting too front heavy ie too much weight over front of the bike causing me to do nose dives of large and small jumps I have to really throw my weight back to keep somewhat level what gives? Is my large sx too big? It has a 50mm stem also now and it helped some but not enough to go as big as I can on the enduro.

Help
    thx

The Bad
    i would say stiffen your ride up you wont get the buck factor... try compressing a little to... it works for me... im on a Glory 8 with the 66 sl1-ata and a fox dhx 4.0

The Beaver
    its all about rebound... higher the better for jumping

here's my techniques photo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

dirt visionary
    okay but shouldn't my 06 enduro and 07 sx trail feel close to the same? I can hit 20ft gaps,doubles and stepdowns no problems on the enduro but when it comes to the sx I can't get it right.

Both bikes have the same head angle but different rear travel. All air 5.5 rear and 6" front for the enduro and all coil 6.7"in the rear and 6.5 up front for the sxtrail . Both bikes have almost identical TT lengths also. I have messed with the rebound alot and still haven't had much luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwehahaha
    its all about rebound... higher the better for jumping
    Higher as in more rebound damping (slower rebound), or higher as in faster rebound?
    If you're mainly FRing on the bike, you don't need super fast rebound, eventually it's just going to start bucking you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork
    okay but shouldn't my 06 enduro and 07 sx trail feel close to the same? I can hit 20ft gaps,doubles and stepdowns no problems on the enduro but when it comes to the sx I can't get it right.

Both bikes have the same head angle but different rear travel. All air 5.5 rear and 6" front for the enduro and all coil 6.7"in the rear and 6.5 up front for the sxtrail . Both bikes have almost identical TT lengths also. I have messed with the rebound alot and still haven't had much luck.
    Are you sure about the HA of both bikes being the same? I thought the SXT was slacker than the Enduro... could be wrong though.
    But even slight tweaks in the GEO are going to make the bike act differently. You just have to adjust again and get comfortable again.
    Unless you're rebound is set wicked fast in the rear or wicked slow up front, it's not you're shock settings that are messing you up. Just readjust to the new bike.

dirt visionary
    Yeah actually the enduro is more slack. My all mt Sl is taller than my 160mm 66 and my enduro has the slack BB shuttle in it. Plus I think the 5.5 in the rear instead of the pro's 6" also slacks it more.

I have adjusted everything that I can and have done tons of runs on our local freeride/dh spot and to get it close to right I have to throw my weight back pretty hard. I am trying to find someone local with a med or small sx trail as I am only 5'7" so maybe because I am not 6" my weight is more over the front triangle than the rear like I am on the enduro.

mtbr member
    Yeah actually the enduro is more slack. My all mt Sl is taller than my 160mm 66 and my enduro has the slack BB shuttle in it. Plus I think the 5.5 in the rear instead of the pro's 6" also slacks it more.

I have adjusted everything that I can and have done tons of runs on our local freeride/dh spot and to get it close to right I have to throw my weight back pretty hard. I am trying to find someone local with a med or small sx trail as I am only 5'7" so maybe because I am not 6" my weight is more over the front triangle than the rear like I am on the enduro.
    Well regardless of pitching your weight forward or not being the issue w/ a large frame. Being 5'7" warrants a med. frame. The large is too big for you. Especially if you're FRing.

Thunder Chunky
    Quote Originally Posted by GnaR9
    Well regardless of pitching your weight forward or not being the issue w/ a large frame. Being 5'7" warrants a med. frame. The large is too big for you. Especially if you're FRing.
    ditto...im 6'2" and im using a 19" frame which is bascially the same as a large...u need a med.
    Purple Popcorn

dirt visionary
    So would that be enough to throw me off? I had no issues with my old bighit either so I know its not the weight it was also a med . I went with this large because that was the only size I could track down and on a normal ride it felt smaller than my enduro at first.

mtbr member
    So would that be enough to throw me off? I had no issues with my old bighit either so I know its not the weight it was also a med . I went with this large because that was the only size I could track down and on a normal ride it felt smaller than my enduro at first.
    Different body position. I don't know the specifics obviously but you're sitting different on the bike.

Thunder Chunky
    yeah you are leaning over more and most of your weight is in your upper body which is being shifted forward by having to lean forward to grab the bars. At least this is my guess but im no expert lol.
    Purple Popcorn

dirt visionary
    Thats the way I am seeing it . A 6ft guy is going to have longer legs and arms which would put their weight further back. Me with my short legs and semi long arms has me forward of the BB .On the enduro I am center to behind the BB. I was really hoping to make the large work but I can see I will have to sell it and go for a med.

dirt visionary
    Well I got my 2008 medium with all the same componets and it is like night and day . Jumps just like my enduro now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Glad you figured it out, a bike that doesn't jump rignt has problems!
    Go BIG or Go HOME

Members who have read this thread: 0