Need help identifying new fork...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Need help identifying new fork...

I'm new here...not very good with computers. I'd post a picture if I knew how. Here goes...I bought a new to me(used) fork. Thought when I bought it it was an 888. Don't think so anymore now that it's actually in my possession. Here goes my best description...Double crown fork..8" travel that actually measures little bigger with no air in it and cycle it to get measurement...Through axle...dropouts have one bolt in each dropout...bottom of right leg has adjuster knob(believe for dampening, unsure though)...bottom of left leg has a round thing unsure of it's function at this point as well(doesn't seem to move) Top of each tube has schrader valve for air. 1.5 steer tube. I've been searching and trying to find picture of one that looks the same.

I know I sound dumb. I'm stumped as what I bought. Guy I bought it from thought it was an 888, I took his word for it. Thanks..

Glad to Be Alive
    look at 2008 or 2009 888 ata....see if the pictures match...might be an 888 air shock
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    look at 2008 or 2009 888 ata....see if the pictures match...might be an 888 air shock
    I dont think they are a 888, he said it had only one bolt per drop out, which leads me to believe that it is a Super T, Junior T or Drop off triple, because all 888's had 2 bolts per drop out didnt they?

Abowman: How wide are the stanchions? The tubes that slide into the lower parts, are they 32mm wide?

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_M2R
    I dont think they are a 888, he said it had only one bolt per drop out, which leads me to believe that it is a Super T, Junior T or Drop off triple, because all 888's had 2 bolts per drop out didnt they?

Abowman: How wide are the stanchions? The tubes that slide into the lower parts, are they 32mm wide?
    you are right the 888 in the pictures I have seen have 2 bolts....hmmmm
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I though the same thing with the dropouts too. I don't even know if it's a Marzocchi fork. It has NO markings I can find, so that isn't helping. Stanchions measure exactly 1 5/16. If my conversion method is correct thats 33.3375mm. (1 5/16 goes to 1 1/4 plus 1/16, so 1.25 plus .0625 1.3125x25.4) Thats how I came up with that answer.

Meh.
    Host the picture on photobucket. Link it to here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Are you sure about the steerer tube size? Who makes a dual-crown fork with a 1.5?
    "Sarcasm- the body's natural defense against stupid"

moaaar shimz
    ^^ my exact thoughts.

I gotta pee
    Quote Originally Posted by FA-Q
    Are you sure about the steerer tube size? Who makes a dual-crown fork with a 1.5?
    Risse Racing makes a 1.5" steerer kit for the 888

http://risseracing.com/product_accessories.shtml#88815

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Does the arch on this fork have an M shape to it? The arch is right above your tire. Also is it all black like a newer marzocchi?
    Does the fork look kind of like this
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1799897/

Antitheist & Kitten lover
    Race Mojo Wheels | Read VitalMTB

mtbr member
    May 2009
    sounds like you got a Super-T. If it is a newer one then it has 185mm travel, the older ones were 170. Try it out dude!, its not a bad fork at all.

Glad to Be Alive
    arrrrrrr
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_M2R

Don't think it's drop off triple. The one I had did have the shraders at the top of each leg but it didn't have an external rebound adjust.

mtbr member
    FAIL FAIL FAIL!

You can't post pics? Did the seller have pics?

FAIL FAIL FAIL!

1.5" triple

Sound slike this:

FOR SALE:
    Sweet honda downhill racing mountain bike. Sweet front and back shocks. Single pivot, disc brakes. HONDA!! Gnarrrr!!!! $250

You send money, get this:

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ruralrider528
    Does the arch on this fork have an M shape to it? The arch is right above your tire. Also is it all black like a newer marzocchi?
    Does the fork look kind of like this
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1799897/

Looks very much like that. In fact may be that. It is all black, but crowns have been painted. And it's not a 1.5 steer, it's 1 1/8. It came on a frame I picked up, didn't care much what fork it was, it came with what I really wanted. Anyhow what is that in your picture?

Meh.
    The picture is of a Drop Off Triple...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Ok, I'm still stumped. All the information I can find on any Marzocchi I can't find anything that doesn't have springs. What I have is air only. No springs. or I got it missing parts, but It seems to work alright from the little bit I just tried it. I even put in on my old bike and tried it(very little, blizzard today) Rebound adjustment works, but I still don't know what the fork is. I'm going to try posting pictures today, see if anyone can tell me some more information.

mtbr member
    Is that a Marzocchi with a boxxer upper crown? That'd be my best guess
    I'm GNARcissistic

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by abowman
    I may have the picture thing figured out...here goes. I hope someone can help me out.

]
    06 - 08 Jr T entry level OEM fork for Kona or Norco ...the air is for pre-load ...it is not an 888

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    06 - 08 Jr T entry level OEM fork for Kona or Norco ...the air is for pre-load ...it is not an 888
    I know it's no 888. Whats really confusing me it that there are NO springs. Take the top caps off, it's open tube down to the dampner system. Let the air out and it won't hold up it's own weight. Doesn't the JR T have coils? I know by now I sound like I have Forrest Gumps IQ, but thanks for the help anyhow.

Meh.
    Somebody may have removed the springs.

It looks like a Drop Off Triple or a Junior T. They're basically the same.

No Fear
    If it only has one bolt on each drop out and your sure its a marz so with a adjuster knob at the bottom it a Super T or Junior T.

Glad to Be Alive
    I know it's no 888. Whats really confusing me it that there are NO springs. Take the top caps off, it's open tube down to the dampner system. Let the air out and it won't hold up it's own weight. Doesn't the JR T have coils? I know by now I sound like I have Forrest Gumps IQ, but thanks for the help anyhow.
    the air pressure is your spring

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SABER_MTB
    If it only has one bolt on each drop out and your sure its a marz so with a adjuster knob at the bottom it a Super T or Junior T.
    this... I think the Super T came as an RCV model (rebound and compression adjust)

the black knob is rebound adjustment, it looks like you may just be missing the red compression knob.

and yes, someone removed the coil spring.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks guys, Pretty sure it's a super t. I've never taken a fork apart before, this has been a learning experience. Anyhow, I think I got it figured out. Now question is do I use it? How does super t compare to the boxxer u-turn? Which would you use?

Glad to Be Alive
    Thanks guys, Pretty sure it's a super t. I've never taken a fork apart before, this has been a learning experience. Anyhow, I think I got it figured out. Now question is do I use it? How does super t compare to the boxxer u-turn? Which would you use?

call marzocchi and send it in for a complete overall.....or ask about crash replacement/trade up...you might get a smoking deal on an 2010 888

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    hav a look at the back of the leg on the other side to the brake mounts, should be a number in a cirle like 05. its not the year of manufacture of the fork but of the lowers. so if its 04 then your forks lowers are 05 then your forks are 05 or newer. there should be an adjuster on the bottem leg on the brake mount side to adjust your rebound, set your air pressure evenly and adjust the rebound ( the smaller inner 4mm bolt) with a small adjustable spaner. the crown is a direct mount marzocchi, im faily sure boxxer crowns dont fit marzocchi

mtbr member
    It's supposed to be coil sprung. The tard who owned it prior to you must've thought it would be cool to remove it and have an "air sprung fork"....

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dowst
    It's supposed to be coil sprung. The tard who owned it prior to you must've thought it would be cool to remove it and have an "air sprung fork"....
    Yep, thats exactly it I think. I now that I know what the fork is, decided to just run the Boxxer. I'll send the Super t out to be serviced/rebuilt, and try it when it's been fixed. I took it apart, but I really have no idea what I'm doing with it. I never took a fork apart before. I'll decide which one I'll be using this season after a day on the Super once it's fixed..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It could very well be a dumb Marzocchi OEM one-off - ie air sprung from the start. You'd be amazed what Marzocchi has passed off when it comes to OEM. We had a whole batch of Drop-Offs from Rocky Mountain that only had a ported piston head for damping - no piston, no cartridge, no shims - just a piston head (it looked like a mini-star nut).

Members who have read this thread: 0