Need Help Chosing a New Bike- Mtbr.com
    Steve
    Jul 2006

Need Help Chosing a New Bike

Hi guys.

I currently own 2 bikes, a 2007 Norco Rival and a 2004 Norco Sasquatch.

When buying the Rival, I made the Mistake of buying one with a frame too large. I still rode it for a few months but it was never very stable downhill and over jumps, so I bought my friends Medium-size 2004 Sasquatch from him as he didn't want it anymore.

The Sasquatch has served me great and all, but it is a little old and it is about time that I upgrade.

I am going to sell both of my bikes and hopefully get about 1000 dollars out of doing so, and then I will have a further 1000 dollars to spend. So my budget is 2000 dollars Australian.

The problem is, I don't no what to buy. I was thinking of getting either an 08 Rampage, Manik or Sasquatch. But I have heard that the 08 Norco's aren't as good as the previous models. Is this true?

I want to buy another Hardtail, as I am more of an all around rider. I go from street to jumps to a little bit of downhill, so a squishy just wouldn't be viable all around. The downhill tracks around here are nothing serious and a hard tail seems to be fine on them. However, if I ever travel to harder tracks, I still want the bike to be viable.

So yeah, any help is appreciated. If you have any questions just ask

i drink shower water
    what a bout a commencal absolute. or a giant stp.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

mtbr member
    Sounds like a Banshee Wildcard, or a Transition Bottlerocket would suit you fine. Granted they're both full squish, they'll still suit the DJs just as well as the other harder tracks you might go to.

Ideas Above My Station...
    The Wildcard is not even close to the type of bike he's looking for....!?

Surely a Transition TOP would be better than the Bottlerocket, considering he said he doesn't want Full Sus. (Even the Transition Double is more suited to Dirt Jumping / street etc.)

Steve
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by juanbeegas
    Sounds like a Banshee Wildcard, or a Transition Bottlerocket would suit you fine. Granted they're both full squish, they'll still suit the DJs just as well as the other harder tracks you might go to.
    They are both VERY nice looking biks and look like they would be good for all around freeride, and still handle downhill with that huge travel.

Any Idea where I can get pricing on these bikes? I am more of a hardtail person but that has more to do with the fact that I can't afford a squishy.

Steve
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hab1b
    what a bout a commencal absolute. or a giant stp.

I do like the look of these bikes, the asking price isn't too bad either, they sell STP's locally here. However, I do not think that the small travel will handle more serious riding.
    Sure, they would be great for riding around the streets, and superb on dirt jumps. But I don't like the idea of throwing a dirt jumper off drops.

I was leaning more towards a Shore Freeride Hardtail but now I'm considering squishys if there are any for less than $2000 Australian.

There are so many bikes to chose from, I don't know what to buy.

mtbr member
    I was thinking a TBC double - 3 inches of squish, DJs like a HT and is overall a killer little bike... so i hear.

shouldn't be too far out of your price range either.

Steve
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan_daugherty
    I was thinking a TBC double - 3 inches of squish, DJs like a HT and is overall a killer little bike... so i hear.

shouldn't be too far out of your price range either.
    looks fair nice.

Hmmm.... Can you get Transition Bikes in Australia?

And another Question, does anyone own a Norco Manik 08 Model? Are they any good?

mtbr member
    how about the marin rock ridge
    if its in buget and you can get marin's down under?
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

Steve
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bxxer rider
    how about the marin rock ridge
    if its in buget and you can get marin's down under?
    Hmm looks like more of an All Mountain bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steve695
    Hmm looks like more of an All Mountain bike
    my freand had the north side trail which he use for a bit of FR and thats the lowest modal of the rocky ridge, so it should be able to do big stuff, you would be able to put some bigger forks on it as well
    ]

Steve
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bxxer rider
    my freand had the north side trail which he use for a bit of FR and thats the lowest modal of the rocky ridge, so it should be able to do big stuff, you would be able to put some bigger forks on it as well
    yeah true, the frame does look nice.

How much are Tripple Clamp forks?

I really wanna get into downhill, but on a hardtail

Brackish

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange-Goblin
    The Wildcard is not even close to the type of bike he's looking for....!?
    Why wouldn't it be? He's already said he does a little of everything from Street to DH. It might be a bit much in the travel department, but if it can handle SS, it would be a sick bike for pretty much anything...

I was leaning more towards a Shore Freeride Hardtail but now I'm considering squishys if there are any for less than $2000 Australian.
    Another bike I might throw into the mix... A Mongoose Khyber(jensonusa.com has them for about AUD$1800 before shipping(I can't seem to access the site to see what shipping would be like on a complete bike though)). I don't own one, but a friend does and I've tried the bike. The thing feels like a HT on the DJs with the added bonus of squish for botched landings.
    I'm waiting on the release of the '09 Soul Cycles Matador myself and I'll pretty much use it for DJs, light DH and day to day Street riding.

Brackish
    Quote Originally Posted by juanbeegas
    Why wouldn't it be? He's already said he does a little of everything from Street to DH. It might be a bit much in the travel department, but if it can handle SS, it would be a sick bike for pretty much anything...

Another bike I might throw into the mix... A Mongoose Khyber(jensonusa.com has them for about AUD$1800 before shipping(I can't seem to access the site to see what shipping would be like on a complete bike though)). I don't own one, but a friend does and I've tried the bike. The thing feels like a HT on the DJs with the added bonus of squish for botched landings.
    I'm waiting on the release of the '09 Soul Cycles Matador myself and I'll pretty much use it for DJs, light DH and day to day Street riding.
    NSMB gave the Khyber a pretty good review, looks like Mongoose is stepping up as a good value/reasonable quality brand: http://dev.nsmb.com/page/s/2493/revi...e-khyber-super.

mtbr member
    yeah true, the frame does look nice.

How much are Tripple Clamp forks?

I really wanna get into downhill, but on a hardtail
    well depends on the fork
    ]

Steve
    Jul 2006
    My god that's nice

Will to Win
    another vote for the vagrant. you can get it with a domain uturn and have 160mm for DH and 115mm for the DJs. and its a bombproof frame... i mean BOMBPROOF.... wait i meant NUCLEARBOMB-PROOF!
    2008 Transition Dirtbag Custom
    2003 Schwinn Moab 2 Singlespeed

Steve
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by albertomannil
    another vote for the vagrant. you can get it with a domain uturn and have 160mm for DH and 115mm for the DJs. and its a bombproof frame... i mean BOMBPROOF.... wait i meant NUCLEARBOMB-PROOF!
    Yeah it does look pretty tanky

Members who have read this thread: 0