Need help with a build..- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Need help with a build..

Well I'm completely new to all this, but I have been doing a lot of reading the last couple days to try and build this myself, but it's not working out to well. Like I said I'm new to this, so I'm asking some help from the veterans to help me build a decent bike for DH/FR. I have the frame picked out and now I just need the components. I have my eyes set on the Banshee Scythe frame unless you have other suggestions for me. I'm 5'10" 210lbs. I want my budget to stay anywhere from $3500-$4000. I'm not sure what parts are compatible with this bike or if everything is universal for every frame. If I could get some help I would greatly appreciate it. I'll keep doing some reading myself. Thanks

-Nate

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Click here for frame info

Thought I would make it easier for people to get the info of the frame so they could help you a little more.

Just to let you know, you are going to get a lot of brand loyal people in here saying "brand A is better than brand B" but it is a lot of personal preference. Check the reviews on this site, and try to do a bit of research before buying something they recommend.

Also a good idea since you are new, would be to pick up a decent used frame, just to make sure you like it. It is the end of the season and you should be able to get a decent bike for pretty cheap.

Glad to Be Alive
    if you are not sure what you want and prefere....then I say save ur money and buy a used bike.....ride the used bike 6 to 9 months then sell it pretty much for the same price you bought it for. Now you still have the same amount of money as before to buy a bike that YOU prefere.

Don't blow your money now....this is your third biggest purchase in life.....a house, car and then mtn bike...be wise with ur money
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Brackish
    A good reference might be to ask the Banshee boys themselves what parts they would recommend for your riding style. But if you really want some ideas, if I were to build up a banshee Scythe for myself it would look a lot like this (I'll leave color preference out of it):

Banshee Scythe frame with Fox DHX 5.0 coil shock.

Rock Shox Boxxer Team fork.

Straitline stem. Truvativ Hussefelt if you're on a budget.

Syncros FBI headset (this is a 1.5 to 1 1/8th reducer headset, necessary for the fork choice above because the fork has a 1 1/8 steerer tube).

Deity Dirty 30 bars: strong and light, super wide so you can cut them down to whatever length you need.

Avid Code or Elixir brakes. Juicy 5s if you need to keep it on the cheap. I use 203mm rotors on my big bike, so that's my recommendation.

Good lock-on grips, either ODI Rogue or Ruffian depending on whether you like your grips thick or thin, respectively.

SRAM x.7 9-speed shifter pod and rear derailleur. Why X.7 and not X.9 or X.0? Because sh!t gets beat up on a hard-use bike, and X.7 works great and costs less to replace. I don't run a front derailleur on my Dirtbag and I wouldn't on a Scythe.

Deity Vendetta cranks with deity Alibi 4B 34 or 36 tooth sprocket. Gamut chain guide and bash guard.

SRAM 970 cassette and chain

I built up a set of custom wheels using Universal cycles last year, and I wouldn't trade them in for anything: Hope Pro II hubs (you'll need a 150mm rear hub,be sure to consult with Banshee about the axle type before you buy a wheelset) laced to Mavix EX 729 rims with DT Swiss Champion spokes and brass nipples. Under $500 bucks, shipped. Bombproof this season, I could not be happier with them.

Pedals and saddles are a personal choice, you can figure that out. For reference, I've run Wellgo B-67 pedals for years, they're cheap and durable with a wide footbed.

Thomson Elite seatpost, light and strong. You'll need 30.0mm seatpost, and a 34.9mm quick release (if the frame doesn't include one). I like Salsa QRs.
    Last edited by carbuncle; 11-06-2008 at 10:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for all the help guys.

I was looking at more frames and came across this bike, what do you think about this one?

Sinister R9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate_0022

I was looking at more frames and came across this bike, what do you think about this one?

Sinister R9
    That is a top of the line everything bike for an awesome price.

mtbr member
    yeh tht looks good,
    as killersloth said look at people suggestions but dont fully trust them reasurch them first
    here is my 2 suggestions:
    1: fox 40 rc2 ftw!
    2: fox dhx5.0 COIL do not touch the air vertion i have seen many reach the bottem of trails and end up with no rebound dampering at all as they get to hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

I would endorse this purchase

Sinister R9
    The components are incredibly high end and a great frame. This is something you could be happy with for years if you decide you like how it feels. That is an incredible price for all that is listed and would be any of ours dream first DH rig.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bxxer rider
    yeh tht looks good,
    as killersloth said look at people suggestions but dont fully trust them reasurch them first
    here is my 2 suggestions:
    1: fox 40 rc2 ftw!
    2: fox dhx5.0 COIL do not touch the air vertion i have seen many reach the bottem of trails and end up with no rebound dampering at all as they get to hot.
    Pretty much disreguard anything this kid says.

******ed or Branded??

Sinister R9

don't let this bike go. Bid till your ears bleed!!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Sinister R9
    BEST. BIKE. EVAARRR.

haha im a little biased since i ride one. but seriously, thats a killer deal.

my R9 was my first bike too. it is a very fast ride. it takes a while to get used to because of the long wheel base, but u get used to it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    DO a lot( a LOT ) more research before you buy, since it seems you dont know a lot(no offense) about bikes, so to speak. Check out the reviews section of MTBR, it will help a lot.

Good luck, and take your time choosing/deciding

EDIT:

Here are some common websited where you can look arounf:

Pricepoint.com (my favorite)
    Jensonusa.com
    Greenfishsports.com
    cambriabikeoutlet.com (google that to make sure thats right)
    wheelworld.com
    Buy My 2010 Mint COndition Transition Covert LARGE 150mm Full suspension. 2000 firm see classified add

dirt visionary

Sinister R9

Killer deal ....very hard to pass up. shocks and wheels cost that damn near not to meantion the frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks again for all the help guys. I've been reading the review section non stop now. I think I'm picking up on stuff pretty fast. I'll just keep looking, but that R9 had me wanting it more and more I look at it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    if itll make your decision easier...the R9 is hand welded by one of the best welders out there. Frank the Welder. check out www.sinisterbikes.com. post on the forum. you'll get hooked.

Members who have read this thread: 0