need help bad! plz help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

need help bad! plz help

im only 13 so money is kinda a factor in this but i can work over the summer to put towards my next bike. right now i have a kona shred and i have been riding it alot in the past year. most of my riding consists of narrow technical trails but i also do some bigger drops like 15ft. wit nice trannys. nearby there is a small dh trail that i wanna try but not wit my shred.

when i try to land bigger drops on my shred the chain jumps off the sprockets...is that cuz the bike cant handle it or is that something im doing wrong?? it even happens sometimes just over speed bumps in town...also if u guys have any hints for how to land those faster drops round 15ft. smoothly that would be really appreciated.

i have been looking at some slightly used 04 gemini 2000's for $1,500 to $2,000. Would a gemini be a good buy for wut i wanna do?

Thanks for helping me try and get better at biking...i feel like a loser asking u d*** good bikers dumb questions like this

Authority is dead!
    It's either your chain is too long (doubtful) or you need a chainguide that will keep your chain where it's suppoed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by bhamrider22
    im only 13 so money is kinda a factor in this but i can work over the summer to put towards my next bike. right now i have a kona shred and i have been riding it alot in the past year. most of my riding consists of narrow technical trails but i also do some bigger drops like 15ft. wit nice trannys. nearby there is a small dh trail that i wanna try but not wit my shred.

when i try to land bigger drops on my shred the chain jumps off the sprockets...is that cuz the bike cant handle it or is that something im doing wrong?? it even happens sometimes just over speed bumps in town...also if u guys have any hints for how to land those faster drops round 15ft. smoothly that would be really appreciated.

i have been looking at some slightly used 04 gemini 2000's for $1,500 to $2,000. Would a gemini be a good buy for wut i wanna do?

Thanks for helping me try and get better at biking...i feel like a loser asking u d*** good bikers dumb questions like this
    For the love of Oi

Rent a house at Attitash

mtbr member
    Okay, to keep your chain from falling off you need a cahinguide. I highly suggest and E13 at www.evilbikes.com

Next, if you can really honestly do a 15' drop you are better than 75% of the people here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    uhh, you could try shortening your chain to make things tighter. Put it on the biggest gear in the back and the biggest on the front so it's as long as it'll ever need to be. Then look at your derailleur and see if the hanger is pulled way forward (meaning a tight fit) or if it's still hanging down (big chain). I'm not really much of a mechanic but I'd take out almost all the links you can with the chain on the biggest gears so its a tight fit.

Oh another idea. The hanger on your derailler controls the chain tension. Perhaps your hanger is stiff so it doesn't take up the slack very quickly. Try lubing things up. You could also try replacing the hanger spring. This would be dirt cheap. Your local bike shop probably has a couple used deraileur spring beating around or a new one would only be a couple bucks. This in combination with shortening the chain may fix the problem...just a few guesses.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    save up for a new bike instead of spending alot on a chainguide

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull
    Okay, to keep your chain from falling off you need a cahinguide. I highly suggest and E13 at www.evilbikes.com

Next, if you can really honestly do a 15' drop you are better than 75% of the people here.
    First off im looking for a full suspension bike cuz the trails i ride have alot of roots and rocks and are kinda steep and its annoying with a hard tail. But that E13 would help.

And on the 15' drop part i have literally no clue how i landed it i just held on for my life and went off it. when i landed i racked my self on the seat hella bad but stayed on the bike. so idk if it was skill or luck....

If anyone has experience wit the gemini 2000 would u post the pros and cons about it and if u would suggest it.
    Last edited by bhamrider22; 03-06-2005 at 12:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

if that link works its the gemini im looking at

nvm...stupid comp
    Last edited by bhamrider22; 03-06-2005 at 11:49 AM. Reason: doenst work

DOME Freeride Mafia
    Check your chain length - if it's too long, remove links.
    Up your p-tension to help hold back chain slack. Don't run on your granny in front - run on your middle chainring and try to go from there. If all else fails, get yourself a chainguide.

As for the 15' drop, I'm not saying that you didn't do it, but your explanation as to how you landed it sounds, well................

Glad to Be Alive
    need a chain guide and a kona Stinky
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus
    Check your chain length - if it's too long, remove links.
    Up your p-tension to help hold back chain slack. Don't run on your granny in front - run on your middle chainring and try to go from there. If all else fails, get yourself a chainguide.

As for the 15' drop, I'm not saying that you didn't do it, but your explanation as to how you landed it sounds, well................

yah maybe it wasnt 15'. my friend just told me i exaggerated it (i do that alot) lol..it was more like 9 ft. but theres a 15' i wanna try when i get my new bike

Soul Cycles
    Jan 2005
    I'd look into a Transition Dirtbag at transitionbikes.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    15' now down to 9' lol word, i think you should get a stinky man or mayb a used BH i just got one i'm around you age n its ****in sick good luck, also i would look into a beefier bike then the cannondale gemini 2000 if your lookin at doing 15+

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    A Kona Stinky is a great bike for the money. It's still a lot of dough but you'll get a very capable freeride bike....You could try and find a used one somewhere...

mtbr member
    Check my sig...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal