Need help with 66SL ATA- Mtbr.com
    MOBtown

Need help with 66SL ATA

Listen to this sh*t. I bought a 66SL ATA on ebay. After waiting 14 days (for some "we only ship on this day" ********) it's finally in. After opening a Marzocchi box, that looks like
    it's been through Afghanistan, I find my fork in a plastic bag covered with
    fork oil . Could this possible be normal??? There was also a bag with
    a manual and an adapter for a shock pump. Was I supposed to get a black
    Marzocchi travel bag with this?

So- I need to know:
    1. If it is normal for the fork to have some oil on the crown, stantions, and
    the top of the lowers.
    2. Was anything NOT included that should be. ie. black travel bag, swag,
    ect...

-> SickLines.com <-
    You should've gotten the black travel bag unless it was an OEM model. DId the auction say it was going to include it? There shouldnt be oil on the fork / stanchions/crown. Was it new?

MOBtown
    Here are the pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images

MOBtown
    Yes, the seller is a bike shop in Lansing, MI. They said that the fork would be "new in box."

I post too much.
    I'd get my money back. Make a few hundred ebay accounts and give them bad feedback.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    That's not right

MOBtown
    I just go the phone # to the bike shop and gave them a call. They said that one of there employees is responcible for the email acount. However, the guy that I spoke with said that he remembered the fork being in the shop and he said that it was in perfect condition, no oil leaking, no loose top cap. They said that his name is Scott Dreyer and that he was not in at the moment. I am so pissed off I could take this greasy fork beat this Scott guy to death

When I first opened the box, it apeared that the top cap on the right leg (ATA adjuster) was making a spewing sound, like it was leaking air or tiny amounts of oil. Is it possible for the ATA adjustment to come loose during transit causing the oil to leak out? And, how much oil could have leaked? The box was not saturated, but it did have a few spots where oil had come into contact with the cardboard. Should I tighten the cap, whipe off the oil, and give it a go??? OR should I wait a week or two for a new fork?

My new signiture will read "I HATE SCOTT DREYER"

-> SickLines.com <-
    i wouldn't ride it, you'd probably only end up messing it up if its low on oil.

Outcast
    When I recieved my SL ATA, it had a LITTLE oil on top of one of the top cap areas, and no black bag. It came from a reputable dealer, out of a box, with a manual and the air adaptor only.
    You fork is probably fine, most likely you will need to check your oil levels before you ride it, and I recommend you read the 66SL ATA set up thread in the suspension forum.
    And all this anger your holding inside of you to direct at the shop employee isn't really doing you any good IMO.

MOBtown
    I just got through reading the 66SL ATA set-up thread. I think I am going to suck it up and give it a go.

Renegade-Thanks for the advice, makes me feel a little better.

What is the simplest way to check the oil levels?

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by PALMEJ1
    I just got through reading the 66SL ATA set-up thread. I think I am going to suck it up and give it a go.

Renegade-Thanks for the advice, makes me feel a little better.

What is the simplest way to check the oil levels?
    Well, the best way to check oil volumnes is to drain the oil, however, if you don't want to go that route:
    The left leg [ata.par leg] only uses 10cc's of oil, which is a very small amount. It's sole purpose is lubricating the leg. The right leg, the RC2 leg, has much more oil, as your damping cartridge is in there. You can check the oil level by:
    Letting all the air out of both legs of the fork.Unscrew the top cap from the right leg. If you don't have the tool for it, you need to stop by a local bike shop and get one. The top cap remains fastened to the damping rod. Compress the fork all the way till it bottoms. The measurement from the top of the leg to the top of the oil is 70mm. Measure this with a small scale

Members who have read this thread: 0