Need a glove with a specific protection area- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Need a glove with a specific protection area

Hi all,
    often when I fall the hands are the first to meed the ground. So palms take most of the impact, especially the area in the attached drawing. Most gloves provide good protection for knuckles and other areas. Wrist guards protect just the wrists.
    Does anyone knows about a glove which has a decent shock absorbtion of the area shown in the attachment?
    Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

外国人
    Jun 2007
    not trying to be a wiseass, but you can try "falling" by using your forearms parallel to the ground. learned this from being a french ring decoy (the one who gets bit). if that fails, you can try falling with landing your shoulders first and then rolling off. i assure you, this comes second nature with practice

StraightOuttaCompton
    for that, you could try EVERY glove made. All gloves have some padding right there. you arent going to find a glove with a hard plastic insert there or anything.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    falling like that is a good way of breaking your wrist. Very efficient.

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    tuck and roll buddy

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    I agree that your falling is flawed. not that mine is any better, I just manualed out and ended up beaking my back some how. The general rule is to let your core take the hit. arms and legs like to snap
    OMG GUISE IT HAZ A AIER SHOCK WTF OO DUZ THAT?!?!?

OTB
    bikma cost more thn carma
    i am new to dh and i have the same prob...my palms r always bruised up. i saw a pair of dh gloves at poison spyder in Moab that had hard plastic molding over the palm area. didnt get em cuz it seemed like it would be uncomfortable, but now i wish i had...cuz i cant find em anywhere! going for some thick motorcross gloves meself...Good luck..i feel your pain!
    Be still and know.....

Glad to Be Alive
    when u fall u want to make a fist...that way u don't break ur wrist.....
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

...idios...
    That circle on the OPs picture made me wince. This thread should be made Sticky so everyone gets to understand the potential for big damage by aiming for your palms in a fall.

'Palms first' is instinctive when we're on our feet, but falling from a bike will usually be from (relatively) a much greater speed and, more importantly, from a greater height. Even if you don't break a wrist, the impact will travel as far as your shoulder, with dislocation and/or a broken clavicle both being possible outcomes. I'm sure there are numerous testimonies on the DH/FR forum.

Three cheers for Tuck and Roll...
    Last edited by SteveUK; 08-05-2008 at 01:17 AM.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I have always read about Tuck and Roll as being the way to go, but have never practice it. I have always been afraid if I mess it up ie don't have my head in the right postion that I could end up with a broken neck. This maybe a phantom fear so if anybody have any pictures or video they could post of a correct tuck and roll please post.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Single Track MTBer
    I have always read about Tuck and Roll as being the way to go, but have never practice it. I have always been afraid if I mess it up ie don't have my head in the right postion that I could end up with a broken neck. This maybe a phantom fear so if anybody have any pictures or video they could post of a correct tuck and roll please post.
    you don't have to roll headfirst, you can roll sideways. The idea is to keep moving AFTER you hit the ground, and not stop WHEN you hit the ground. The slower you come to a stop, the less chance there is of hurting yourself (not 100% of the time, but about 99%)

Honestly, the best advice I can give is take up a martial art like akido if you have trouble with it. Since they make you fall, throw yourself at the ground, and then fall more for the first year, over and over and over, its a good way of getting practice

otherwise, if you don't have the money for that, go to your local gym and find some mats (most gyms will have em) and throw yourself at them. Don't just drop to your knees, but actively jump off the ground, and make sure your shoulder/chest hits first. Don't throw yourself up, but throw yourself forward. Try all sorts of falls - summersaulting, rolling sideways, landing on your chest and sliding etc. Its gonna hurt some until you figure it out, but better you figure it out in a safe soft environment then by breaking yourself repeatedly on the trail.

Ideas Above My Station...
    Thats brilliant advice!

I used to do it when i BMX'ed, it saves alot of hurt. Tuck'n'roll is the key. I cam off full pelt in a huge loose-rock patch on the moors a few weeks back, and the tuck'n'roll meant the large expanse of my back took the abuse, but because i was rolling the impact is lessened, the bit i hurt the most was the arm that landed a bit first because of the angle i landed at. Dead arm for the rest of the day.
    So, practicing the tuck and roll will ensure you do it right, and for the most part come out pain-free.

Good suggestion William42!!!!!

OTB
    bikma cost more thn carma
    until the tuck n roll becomes your first instinct...i got them down to $41.95 cuz the find.com had them listed for that...good luck...

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/177...nger-Glove.htm
    Be still and know.....

Members who have read this thread: 0