need to fit a 1 1/8 fork to a 1.5 steertube..help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

need to fit a 1 1/8 fork to a 1.5 steertube..help

so i just picked up a new frame but it has a 1.5 headtube and my current fork is 1.125. so im wondering what is the best way to fit the fork with the frame.

should i get the reducer that presses into the frame and takes it from 1.5 to 1.125. and then you use a 1.125 headset

mtbr member
    FSA DH Pig Zero stack headset the best,plus you get way oversized bearings HPIM0984.JPG

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Get reducer cups which press into the frame, then you press a 1 1/8" headset into that.
    or
    Get a headset that is a 1.5in reducer, like the Big Fat Pig.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    were could i pick one of those headsets up at

mtbr member
    Try universalcycles.com. That's where I got mine from. There are some other websites that have them also, but can't remeber which sites they are.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    ok so getting a headset that has really big bearings and fits directly into the frame seems like the best way to go...am i wrong?

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...7&category=502
    so i want part # 617-8710 the one that is 1.5 to 1.125

and then i will just press into the 1.5 headtube and then i slide my 1.125 fork in and im good to go right?

mtbr member
    Merkyworks, you are right. That is the correct headset in the link. Your 1 1/8 will fit in a 1.5R headset. It's only the ball bearing tho. I have the loose ball bearing and it's a creaky biatch. I'm gonna get the cartridge style to replace the loose ball bearing headset. FSA makes a couple different 1.5 reducer headsets. The cartridge bearing are the better to get unstead of the loose ball bearing type.
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...6&category=502

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    while i do agree that cartridge bearings are better...i have had nothing but loose bearing headsets and they have served me well...plus they are much easier on my wallet which is alot light after buying that frame so i dont have to cash for the "really nice" headset, so ill just have to settle for the "nice" headset

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i use a cane creek flush reducer that i love...well that and i bought my fork it had a cut steerer...E.thirteen makes reducers which allow you to run an internal headset in them...just some more options.
    so this is how you add a signature!!

run, hide, it's a bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by MattP.
    Get reducer cups which press into the frame, then you press a 1 1/8" headset into that.
    or
    Get a headset that is a 1.5in reducer, like the Big Fat Pig.
    i would not suggest this way - getting a Big Fat Pig 1.5 to 1 1/8 headset is better - it keeps the stack height down and it is less to knock out if you have to change your headset - i have the reducers but if i had to do it again i would get headset that does it.
    **! I'd rather sh!t out Mark Weir than watch him pedal up a hill !**

mtbr remember
    hey merkyworks, I have some of the zero-stack 1.5 - 1.125 reducer inserts if you're interested. That way you could save some bucks and use a 1 1/8 headset you already have. just pm me if you are interested and we could discuss.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Merkyworks
    while i do agree that cartridge bearings are better...i have had nothing but loose bearing headsets and they have served me well...plus they are much easier on my wallet which is alot light after buying that frame so i dont have to cash for the "really nice" headset, so ill just have to settle for the "nice" headset
    My 1.5R FSA PIG is very creaky no matter what I do to fix it and also the bearings on the bottom of the steertube aren't sealed very well. I can't seem to keep out the grime and grit and if I had the time, would have to clean them every 1-2 weeks. I finally have given up on cleaning them and will just get the cartridge bearing when they wear out. I do agree that the cartridge is $$$$. At the time, that's why I went with the loose ball bearing. Only riding 1-2 times a week now, hopefully it will last me till spring.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    well i have the pig on my xc and dj bike and its been fine for about a year now, but i dont ride when its wet and i live in tx so perhaps that might make a difference

Is flexy
    e-13 reducer cups with an FSA orbit is headset...very nice set up.

mtbr member
    I've only had mine on for bout 2 mos. and it hasn't been too wet up till just recent. I had to clean and regrease the bottom bearings after just the first two weeks of having it. I might just have a bad seal or something. It's alright tho. I'll just wait till it wears out and by then, I can afford the cartridge style. Prolly should have sent it back from the start, but oh well, it works for now.

Members who have read this thread: 0