need easy kicker ramp ideas- Mtbr.com
    a'buh?

need easy kicker ramp ideas

ok, now before everyone starts telling me how much of a lazy [email protected] i am for not searching for this, I did search, and the easiest plan I found still involved lots of complicated measuring and curved cutting of plywood. I just don't have the tools/skills/time/patience to do that. So, my question is: what is an easy way to make a nice, slightly curved kicker? It doesn't have to be portable (it's for a permanent step-up) or very big, and it can be made out of slats like a bridge.

thnx for the help
    "Don't just huck yourself: be skilled, be trained, be ready, be prepared, then give 'er." -Dylan Tremblay

mtbr member

dirt??

If it doesnt have to be that big, could you make it outa dirt? It's a bit of work, but it certainly won't require much in the way of tools like constructing one outa wood. I've also seen some 'kickers' that have a slight dirt tranny at the very bottom, but then are just a straight ladder...there is no lip at the end, but it might work and it's pretty easy to make. I'm sure other people will have some good ideas too...

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingwalrus
    ok, now before everyone starts telling me how much of a lazy [email protected] i am for not searching for this, I did search, and the easiest plan I found still involved lots of complicated measuring and curved cutting of plywood. I just don't have the tools/skills/time/patience to do that. So, my question is: what is an easy way to make a nice, slightly curved kicker? It doesn't have to be portable (it's for a permanent step-up) or very big, and it can be made out of slats like a bridge.

thnx for the help
    easiest, non scientific way is to take a sheet of plywood, tie a string to the eraser end of a pencil and, holding that end a some fixed point of your choosing, trace an arc on the plywood. if the arc looks good (its the curvature/radius) you want, simply cut the plywood then use that piece to trace it onto another sheet of plywood and cut that one as well. these are your sides and should be identical. Now, cut 2x4's (or even better, 2x6's) to form ribs between the two pieces of ply you just cut. the width depends on how big you want the ramp to be. space these no more than 8" max, apart and make them flsuh to the lip of the plywood sides (run the boards up and down, not flat on their sides. I usually just tackk it together with some nails until its formed up, then use screws. once the ribs are in it will still feel a little wobbly but not to worry, the next step squares that up. mark the ply sides with a pencil at the location of your ribs then measure and cut two pieces of 1/2" play for the top. make sure you measure to the edge of each side and be sure to leave the very top piece a little longer to run down to the ground at the bottom of the ramp. now simply use screws to put on the first top pice, then the second.

thats about as simple as I can make it. I could get into more details about how I build but since you don't want that type of plan, this should do. one thing I didn't mention is that I like to have a small deck on mine but Id advise leaving at least 6-8" of "deck" beyond the top lip for stability reasons. to do this, just trace your arc for the side pieces leaving that much extra and brace it with a 2x6 laid flat.

hope that is what you wanted.

tools required: pencil, string, jigsaw, screwdriver, beer
    cost: depends what you can find in the dumpster at the local construction site
    time: roughly one hour start to finish if you understand my directions

good luck bud, have fun...
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

a'buh?
    thnx I may just have to throw on the big boy pants and actually make a decent thing that involves such intricacies as screws and measuring.
    "Don't just huck yourself: be skilled, be trained, be ready, be prepared, then give 'er." -Dylan Tremblay

It's not bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingwalrus

thnx for the help
    A picture is worth a 1000 words...
    Of course, I had the tools/skills/time/patience to do this but there are plenty of folks/carpenters that work for beer.

BTW- WestCoastHucker made a kick-ass kicker too, maybe he will post his...purrrrrdy flames WCH!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Soap

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

I may be overanalyzing this but...

Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    easiest, non scientific way is to take a sheet of plywood, tie a string to the eraser end of a pencil and, holding that end a some fixed point of your choosing, trace an arc on the plywood.
    Any general rules on what radius and launch angle produce good results?

VIA
    banned
    Well ... here is the easyer thing that you can do...
    Just by looking at the picture you know how to do it... don't need much tools/skills to do this ramp... (and is mobil...I named "The RampaMobil")
    Good luck and you're welcome...
    Attached Images Attached Images