need advice for BC/Whistler trip- Mtbr.com
    Don't skid

need advice for BC/Whistler trip

OK I got the dates set for a BC/Whislter trip this summer. Now I need some advice from you guys that have been there. And I'm sure others will have similar questions too.
    I will have 6 full days in BC plus two half days for driving. Whistler is a must but I would like to do some other trails as well.
    So I was thinking of spending 2 full days at Whistler and maybe 2 days in Squamish and the some time on the N. Shore.

Those who have been, what do you think? Is it worth sacrificing days at Whistler to hit these other places? Is two days enough at Whistler? Also are the weekends much more crowded than the weekends? I was thinking of hitting Whistler during the weekdays to avoid the crowds.

How hard are the trails to get to on the N.Shore and in Squamish? Are there local shuttle services? What trails are a must?

And camping, where to camp around Whistler, Squamish and Vancouver? Anything else you guys can add would be helpful.
    BTW I'll be up there from July 28-Aug. 4.
    Before that I'll spend about 10 days ripping it at Falls City, that should kick @ss. Man, is it summer yet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KONA_in_SB
    Those who have been, what do you think? Is it worth sacrificing days at Whistler to hit these other places? Is two days enough at Whistler? Also are the weekends much more crowded than the weekends? I was thinking of hitting Whistler during the weekdays to avoid the crowds.

How hard are the trails to get to on the N.Shore and in Squamish? Are there local shuttle services? What trails are a must?

And camping, where to camp around Whistler, Squamish and Vancouver? Anything else you guys can add would be helpful.
    BTW I'll be up there from July 28-Aug. 4.
    Before that I'll spend about 10 days ripping it at Falls City, that should kick @ss. Man, is it summer yet?
    1) yes, hit other stuff - Whistler is awesome, but so are the trails on The Shore - I haven't ridden Squamish, but I hear good things about the trails there, so it is probably worth spending a day or two - as for the Shore - one day ride Seymore - you can shuttle with your group if you have a truck and enough people (with 3-4 it works out great, 2 or 3 ride, one drives to the bottom and picks up, you rotate drivers) OR you can use the "Huckwagon" - but plan on being on the Shore on Sat or Sun if you want to use the regular Seymore shuttle service - it's cheap and easy - you start on CBC which is one of the most amazingly well-built trails you'll ever see - pretty great intro to riding skinnies and so forth - then choose from a number of different lines down the mountain (Corkscrew to Boogeyman being one of the sickest - but try Ned's Atomic Dustbin and Severed Dick too)
    spend a day doing Seymore for sure - and probably another doing Fromme - if you use Huckwagon on a weekend day, it's pretty easy

http://www.huckwagon.com

for Mt Fromme - you park (somewhere down the hill, the neigborhoods that are close are all lame about parking) - and ride up to the top (an hour or a tad more) up an easy logging road and then chose your lines down - (Upper Oilcan to Crippler or Ladies Only is a classic- but don't miss Pink Starfish or Air Supply to see/ride the bigger stuff)

DON'T miss the Shore - Whistler is great, but The Shore has some of the best trails in the world and with 6 days, it would be a shame to miss them...

finally, check out Gutsploder.net - click on the various spots, look at the maps, click on the green flags and you will see pics of some of the best stunts on each trail
    http://www.gutsploder.net/

2) there is some camping in the Whistler area - but there are CHEAP deals on condos - if you are splitting it between a group, it's hard to beat a condo close to the mountain and village and hot showers and/or hot tubs after a day on Freight Train and Clown Shoes are probably going to be key...

Don't skid
    Macrider,
    Thanks for the 411. The Shore sound sic. Unfortunately my 'group' of riders is only me and one other buddy right now. Its hard to get people to commit. It don't matter though, we'll have a good time.
    Anyone else want to chime in on this.
    Who's ridden in Squamish?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My friends and I always do a 5 day trip that goes something like this....

Fly into Van wednesday afternoon, rent Ford F150, assemble bikes.

Wake up Thursday and shuttle the hell out of Mt. Seymour, drive to Whistler in the afternoon.

Wake up Friday and rock Whistler

Wake up Saturday and rock Whistler, drive back to north Van.

Wake up Sunday and ride Mt. Fromme, fly home.

We stay in the same hotel in north Van. on the 1st and leave our bike boxes there. If you have an extra day I would rock Squammish.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KONA_in_SB
    Macrider,
    Thanks for the 411. The Shore sound sic. Unfortunately my 'group' of riders is only me and one other buddy right now. Its hard to get people to commit. It don't matter though, we'll have a good time.
    Anyone else want to chime in on this.
    Who's ridden in Squamish?
    Well then, be sure you are on The Shore on at least one weekend day so you can use the Huckwagon to shuttle Seymore - Fromme you can do whenever 'cause you have to ride up...