Neck Braces...might not be a bad idea- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Neck Braces...might not be a bad idea

Saw these two on sick lines, anyone sport one yet?

http://www.descent-world.co.uk/index...sk=view&id=788

http://www.leatt-brace.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bike Ninja |||
    everyone is thinking it... i'm just saying it....

DO A SEARCH!!!!

many topics have aroused in the past month about the leatt neck brace.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by chooofoojoo
    everyone is thinking it... i'm just saying it....

DO A SEARCH!!!!

many topics have aroused in the past month about the leatt neck brace.
    Dude, it's turds like you that give this forum a bad rap. Apparently 191+ people who also viewed this thread cared enough to view it and maybe, just maybe, might give insight to some local rider who didn't know about them and buys one and it ends up saving his or hers life. No everyone isn't thinking it, and if you want to moderate the board, then volunteer and become one. Last time I checked, you weren't one. Otherwise, let people post without belittling them.

Bike Ninja |||
    Quote Originally Posted by MqtRider
    Dude, it's turds like you that give this forum a bad rap. Apparently 191+ people who also viewed this thread cared enough to view it and maybe, just maybe, might give insight to some local rider who didn't know about them and buys one and it ends up saving his or hers life. No everyone isn't thinking it, and if you want to moderate the board, then volunteer and become one. Last time I checked, you weren't one. Otherwise, let people post without belittling them.
    quite the logical fallacy there. if 191+ people have viewed it, yet nobody chimed in, that might indicate that I have already spoken for them who knows.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...att+neck+brace

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...att+neck+brace

put your reading glasses on.. there's plenty of info in those two topics alone.

General Rabble-Rouser
    I could see it being quite useful on a pro-race level. CG is going to be using one, and others may follow.

It's an understatement, but what a bummer it would be to break your neck. My GFs Dad broke his neck in 3 places in a car wreck and has to wear a Halo until late March. Luckily he can still walk

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    maybe, just maybe, might give insight to some local rider who didn't know about them and buys one and it ends up saving his or hers life.
    QFT

And I'm the one who started the thread in that first link.

Threads about safety gear = good.

moaaar shimz
    Repeated threads about safety = not good.

Use the search function.

a tight kick sound
    Why are repeated threads about safety not good? Most times I would agree that repeat threads are bad but here I think it might be different. Plus these are very new products that we don't know a lot about yet.

Why would a neck brace only benefit pro level racers? I would think anyone who puts themselves in harms way might benefit from one...especially those of us less skilled riders. Less skilled riders may be more prone to putting themselves into dangerous situations and not have the best skills to get out of it like a pro. Thus a neck brace might be more benefitial in this case no?

mtbr member
    Yeah, I almost broke my neck a couple times when I was first getting into mountain biking. Couldn't check my rear view mirrors for a month after each of those crashes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by boone
    ...especially those of us less skilled riders. Less skilled riders may be more prone to putting themselves into dangerous situations and not have the best skills to get out of it like a pro. Thus a neck brace might be more benefitial in this case no?
    ..this totally makes sense to me - I consider myself a "beginner" mountain biker, but I am seriously considering purchasing one of these....

Bike Ninja |||
    Why are repeated threads about safety not good?
    Repeated threads about safety are good, as safety is a huge part of our sport and industry. however, repeated threads about the SAME product asking the SAME question should be kept to the absolute minimum.

Call me crazy but these two arguments sound the same :
    Saw these two on sick lines, anyone sport one yet?
    --taken from this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Uruk-hai
    Anyone going with a Leatt neck brace for the 2008 season? Any input from those who have already used them?
    -- taken from here

Anyways, to restate information posted in previous threads, The leatt braces are an excellent idea and product that gives a great amount of protection to your neck and upper back. They seem to be somewhat overpriced, however that is a subjective claim as one cannot put a price on safety. TLD makes a dope color scheme, as does KTM and numerous other manufacturers. The bulkiness has proven to be a complaint of some, however Post #18 on this thread shows that with proper set-up it proves not to be a hindrance to riding.

I Welcome All
    hey, wear a leatt and its amazing, nothing like you would expect it to be. Its really confortable but if you want to wear body armor with it, it has to be a rockgarden or else it wont fit very well, you can PM me with any questions
    but to sum it up, its well worth the mulah!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I recently started using a Leatt on my moto bike, now won't ride without it. When I start riding DH this spring I plan on trying it out. If you don't notice it why not?
    www.jettmtb.com

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Karupshun
    I could see it being quite useful on a pro-race level.
    umm....I think everyday DH riding too
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

i drink shower water
    i cant stand pressure suits. im not rocking one of those.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hab1b
    i cant stand pressure suits. im not rocking one of those.

you have to wear a pressure suit ??

FRO one and Leatts one are two different neckbraces.

Maybe one fits better to one person with a specific armor on.

Maybe it will fit you fine in your armor with the right one ?

People have different body shapes, which is why some armors dont fit you

same goes for if a brace like this will fit you or not with a specific armor.

Point is, if possible, try before saying no offhand.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    What are the benefits of such device?

dressed to play
    my fro systems one arrived today. Looks good, really light.
    Hopefully get a chance to try it out tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    i have a buddy that races motocross and he owns a leatt brace. i tried it on with a dh helmet and it seems pretty nice. u still have good movement and its fairly light... personally i wouldnt use one though

i drink shower water
    every pressure suit i have worn i hated. they are bulky and uncomfortable. I am interested in the the new spyder d3o. i could be in to that. its preference. i raced all season with no pressure suit. i am aware of the risk, i am just not comfortable in them.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    If i come off as bashing people for not wearing armors and protection, that wasnt the point, im all for personal choice.

I hear it a lot from people who havent even tried on different armors.

i mean personally 661s pressure suits dont sit well on me, i tried a dainese full body that felt spot on though.

And something like these neck braces, well its one of those things, i personally havent tried one yet, i am hoping i get a chance though, ive seen some positive reviews on these things, and the general consensus seems to be that the FRO and Leatt feel ok, just a matter of getting used to, and not restrictive to movement at all.

For my own testing ill be wearing one to the local tittiebar, and sit right up front, at least then ill know if they REALLY protect against whiplash

Go for the throat
    I can't really tell from the pictures. How do those things protect from extreme forward/downward movement of the head - the kind that would result in your chin touching your chest? I guess that flap in the front does it but I can't see it well enough. In football, a lot of guys wore those big horse collars like Brian Cox of the Dolphins used to wear. All they did was prevent your head from snapping back, but most serious neck injuries (in football anyway) are the result of head-on collisions where the head rolls forward and down toward the chest. To prevent this from happening, some players had a strap that attached to the back of the helmet and to the back of the shoulder pads that prevented lowering of the head.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

General Rabble-Rouser
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    umm....I think everyday DH riding too

My everyday DH riding doesn't push me to the limit where I feel that a neck brace is worth the effort of wearing on a hot sunny day.

If I was trying to compete or really ride hard outside my personal boundaries, I can totally see how good one of these could be.

a tight kick sound
    Quote Originally Posted by Karupshun
    My everyday DH riding doesn't push me to the limit where I feel that a neck brace is worth the effort of wearing on a hot sunny day.

If I was trying to compete or really ride hard outside my personal boundaries, I can totally see how good one of these could be.

I agree with this for the most part. However last year I was doing a practice run and hit this small stick/root in the trail and out of nowhere the chin strap of my helmet was diggin up sand! Happened so fast I didn't even know what hit me.

In other words things happen that we cannot control some times even when we are riding within our limits. Just a thought and it probably does not happen a lot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I agree with this for the most part. However last year I was doing a practice run and hit this small stick/root in the trail and out of nowhere the chin strap of my helmet was diggin up sand! Happened so fast I didn't even know what hit me.

In other words things happen that we cannot control some times even when we are riding within our limits. Just a thought and it probably does not happen a lot.
    I gotta agree with you guys..my everyday riding isnt really that intense..i could see wearing a neck brace racing but i try to wear the least possible gear when i race cuz i freeze up and its hard to move cuz im short...i also ride moto and i've seen guys wear them on the track i did try one on and its not that restrictive when i ride moto but theres no way freeriding and doing stunts that this would work..i move way to much when i ride jumps and stuff...idk maybe its not something id like but its deff a great idea

Members who have read this thread: 0