neck brace help- Mtbr.com

Thread: neck brace help

mtbr member

neck brace help

absolutely no experience with neck braces. any advice on picking one out would be super helpful. are there any quirks i should know about sizing or rideability? i have no access to a dh bike shop. everything local is xc or road oriented. lame i know.

Uphill? What's that
    I used the alpinestars neck brace and liked it but sizing can be an issue. The new Leatt 5.5 can be adjusted for the perfect fit without any tools and is nice and lite..

mtbr member
    best 2 options at the moment are the leatt and the new atlas - different features depending on what you like - its a bit of a preference thing but since you don't have any ability to try them on, then pick which one looks the coolest - leatts are easy to fit once you measure your chest and shoulders and id assume the same with the atlas - both the modern leatt and the atlas have bike specific models which is important because the rear table needs to be lower on a bike to accommodate our different riding position on steeper sections of trail (we don't sit upright like the moto guys, instead more forward) - as long as you get one of the newer bike specific models, you shouldn't have any problems. Just ride with it a lot until you get comfortable with it and then you'll forget you're even wearing it

mtbr member
    I just recently purchased an Atlas neck brace. I chose it over the leatt simply because I liked the design of it better. The Atlas brace features 2 rear support pads that sit on your shoulder blades compared to the Leatt which has a single rear support that sits on your spine. The Atlas is very easy to use as you just simply slip it over your head and use the included straps to secure it. I found the Leatt brace very cumbersome to put on with it's hinge and clasp (very aggravating!!) If you have a local motorcycle shop near you they should have neck braces. Cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Either the A-Stars or the Leatts are good. Sizing is pretty easy. I have a Leatt and they are easy to adjust. There's really only two sizes. IMO, the most important thing is making sure you have a compatible helmet, because they can really restrict your movement. IE if you try to use a moto helmet, you won't be able to move your head back far enough to see on most dh stuff.

mtbr member
    Thanks a ton everyone. After watching a bunch of YouTube reviews and production guys talk about the Leatt, I decided to go with it. I found a 5.5 online for 289 brand new and thought it was a pretty killer deal. I'm pretty stoked to try this thing out once the weather gets a little warmer. I do like the ease and adjustability of the new Leatt, but I will say the redesigned latching system is just a small plastic 1/4" button. I'm sure they did their testing, but it just seems like the "weakest link" of the whole system. over all it seems to fit really well. haven't tried it with my helmet just yet. it's hilarious because it seems that I am ALWAYS on the border of two different sizes. with my Giro cypher (went w medium), I was literally on the border between Med and Large, w the Leatt, 37" chest is border of med and large (went w large) and bell super 2r medium and large (DEF go w medium). anyway, now I'm just rambling...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    If you read the Leatt fitting description, the sizes overlap. The smaller size on the biggest settings fits the same as the bigger size on the smallest settings.

mtbr member
    I ended up calling Leatt directly and they were super helpful with all my questions. The suggested getting the large so it wouldn't be "maxed out" that way I can make it larger if I want to use pads or if I gain weight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Just don't lose any weight