Nasty crash- Mtbr.com

Thread: Nasty crash

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Nasty crash

I was dropping mushroom rock for the second time and I had a phantom shift on my power stroke which threw all my timing off. Needless to say much carnage ensued shattered right radial head, and right scaphoid; compound fractures on right humeral radial fossa, and right radial styloid; fractured left radial head, radial styloid, and hairline on my upper jaw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KAdlgrOTHY

banned
    The guys on the side didnt even move, what fags. I would ask how ur were, but it sounds like ur ****ed up!

Hows the bike?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Holy **** how do you feel right now?!!??!?!

Could you put the injuries in lamence terms
    Hucks to Fackie

moaaar shimz
    Damnnnnnnnnn that was quite a crash, hope you get well soon mate.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm doing ok, basically my right wrist and elbow were turned to jelly, left wrist and elbow were fractured, and I'm missing some teeth for a few months while I wait for my jaw to heal up. The bike seems fine, though it looks like the headset is a little pulled out. I'm hoping the headtube isn't ovalized.

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    ouch... heal up soon dude... then go back and conquer that sucker...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Oh and I ripped alot of tendons and ligaments in my elbow. And they drilled a whole in my hip and pulled a bunch of bone out to reshape my elbow joints.

Glad to Be Alive
    man so sorry to here and see this. Man healing vibes
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

not a forum admin
    weaksauce buddie - freakin weak.

well - heal up - hit that biotch again if you can. w/ no mis-shifts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    That has to be the worst wreck posted here with the smallest amount of fanfare, *****ing or attention whoring... props on chuck norris-ing the carnage from that wreck.

AKA shitbird
    h o l y s h i t !!!!! That was ugly as sin, Fvcked to the 10th power ugly. Get well dude!
    JRA

AKA shitbird
    WHOA!! I just saw the video from the other side of that wreck, with sound! It hurts even more to watch that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A58vafxTlf8&NR=1

BTW, your friends laughing in the background are dicks
    JRA

rider
    Feb 2008
    dude did you get airlifted out???

mtbr member
    did you wear a fullface?? crash looks terrible : /

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    it looked like you were wearing no protection, wow!!!!! ill wear just a helmet when i take out my epic but when the sx goes out everything goes on, full face, armour the lot!! it doesnt matter where im going or what im doing because i know when i take the big bike out i just have that urge to do something risky, so sorry to see you get hurt, i hope you heal fast

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    bet you'll think twice about doing drops with out protection now, huh...

The Beaver
    I am just glad that you got it on tape... nice work.

Hope you heal up quickly.
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

Ideas Above My Station...
    Yeah, as soon as my bike gets off the ground, its full face, leg and arm armour.

After getting my tibia and fibula snapped and tearing through my calf muscle last year (Would have been worse without leg armour on!) it's a must.

I feel for ya buddy. We all f**k up now and again, hopes it heals quickly, i'm 7 months on now and back on the old beast and loving it. Not going quite so big yet though!!

Capricious youth...
    I don't think I want to watch that video, man. But heal up SOON.
    Meh.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    I won't click that link after reading your injurys... Healing vibes man.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

sixsixtysix
    Wow man, that is the WRONG way to take the Mushroom Drop. First off, you came off way far to the left on take off. Its way easier to stay to the right since the transition is more constant over there, even if you get yourself into a little trouble with the nose down, the angles aren't as steep. You just need to clear the holes in the rock.

Also, a bit of advice if you decide to try it again, since the take off is pretty much blind, bring some sidewalk chalk and mark your roll in path and launch point on the rock.

Anyways, hope you heal up, that one looks like it hurt

******ed or Branded??
    Sorry here that dude!! Healing vibes to you!!!

but i got to say the broken jaw thing is kind of your fault. You were not where a full face helmet when you hit that. I saw another clip of you form another angle. Next time FULL FACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    this is a worse angle, and dude, i'd beat the piss out of the guy that asks if you're alright then chuckles, what a douche 100%

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A58vafxTlf8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A58vafxTlf8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

mtbr member
    OK, I never want to ride my bike again now.

Hope you heal up fast. At least you have gnarly video evidence!
    "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -- Calvin & Hobbes

check your six
    Man that is rough! Dude, sorry to hear that you got so hurt. Hope you heal soon,... take it slow getting back on the bike. wow...
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

Ricky DH
    Wow!! That was brutal.

mtbr member
    sucks hope everything heals right
    next time wear more protection including a full face

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by A girl from Seattle
    OK, I never want to ride my bike again now.

Hope you heal up fast. At least you have gnarly video evidence!
    Nah, you should ride twice as much for me, while I'm on the mend.

As far as more protection goes I agree completely, and have already bought all the extra gear. Though I'm hesitant to say I would have worn anything extra if I knew how the crash was gonna go ahead of time. The accident could have been way worse, who knows maybe the chin of the fullface would have gotten caught up and broken my neck. Now if I ever do mushroom rock a 3rd time I'll definitely wear extra gear because 99.9% of the time you're better off. But just watching the dynamics of this crash I know for a fact arm and leg armor wouldn't have helped. The arm damage was a result of compression through the bones not direct impact. As far as the jaw, it's a minor fracture and all things considered I could very well be dead from this accident, so I wouldn't change a thing about it.

Aside from, you know, the whole crashing thing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    What's the "yelp" in the beginning of the vid?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    im thinking that yelp was the acceptance that there was a world of hurt coming

dosnt chng titls...o wait
    Jul 2007
    aw dude what were thinking doing a 20 footer with a skid lid and no pads!!
    get better though
    tubes hate me

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    That's what I thought, but I guess my first instinct woulda been a gutteral "ShiiiiiiiiiiitttttttTTT!!" instead of a high pitched yelp. Again, no disrespect intended. I expect I'll never have the balls nor skills to try something so intense.

Its got what plants crave
    That is phucked. The sounds the crash makes are like a damn trainwreck. Healing vibes d00d.

Broken and dizzy
    As already said many time before: Holy sh*t dude! And I thought my plate with 10 screws to fix my wrist was bad....jesus-a man! Healing vibes your way x10

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    as he said a full face may have helped his head but armour probably wouldnt have saved those impact related injuries, he wouldve been a lot better off with it though and couldve lessened the damage somewhat, what a crash though,

ive seen people fall from bigger but ive rarely seen something as nasty as that, im only starting off with jumps and drops but i can never see myself hitting anything like that, the penalty for failure is way too much for me

dosnt chng titls...o wait
    Jul 2007
    yea and that landing is scetchy and steep and long and its got holes in it. at least your arm didnt go into one of the holes and get ripped off as your body kept on going
    tubes hate me

mtbr member

power stroke question

Quote Originally Posted by santacruzrc
    I was dropping mushroom rock for the second time and I had a phantom shift on my power stroke which threw all my timing off. Needless to say much carnage ensued shattered right radial head, and right scaphoid; compound fractures on right humeral radial fossa, and right radial styloid; fractured left radial head, radial styloid, and hairline on my upper jaw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KAdlgrOTHY

First off and most important...healing vibes and speedy recovery, and I hope the pain has subsided. You'll be good to go before you know it.

Now, a quick technical question....when you said a phantom shift on your power stroke threw off your timing, did you mean that you intended to take the drop as a "wheelie drop?" (i.e. your power stroke is used to lift the front end, or were you just trying to get your speed up?) I'm not familiar with the drop so I thought I would ask which style is required.

( o Y o ) 's!!
    g'damn that was a wicked crash. be strong and heal up!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB
    First off and most important...healing vibes and speedy recovery, and I hope the pain has subsided. You'll be good to go before you know it.

Now, a quick technical question....when you said a phantom shift on your power stroke threw off your timing, did you mean that you intended to take the drop as a "wheelie drop?" (i.e. your power stroke is used to lift the front end, or were you just trying to get your speed up?) I'm not familiar with the drop so I thought I would ask which style is required.
    It was to get speed up, basically there's a crack right before the drop, but you need to clear some holes and get some distance. So I had a phantom shift which dropped my right foot down and threw me off balance. By the time I recovered and got into position for the drop I was way late lunging my weight back. I probably could have recovered faster if I weren't rusty from early season, so there are a few things to blame that are my fault not the bikes.

Pivotal figure
    Man, I can't imagine crashing like that onto dirt let alone rock.. I don't think I ever need to try hitting that drop since this is all I'd be thinking of ...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Mi vida es bueno
    Mega gnar dude. Get well soon then go teach that biatch a lesson. And get a fullface.

Members who have read this thread: 0