My stunts are too slippery....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

My stunts are too slippery....

I have been building soem stunts on my property and when the conditions are moist they are slippery as hell. For instance I have a skinny teeter and after a light rain recently I rode it and slid off the back side of it as if it were a sheet of ice. What works best.....metal screening, sandpaper, etc.... I'd like to hear what others have used or encountered
    Never play leap-frog with a unicorn!

mtbr member
    Roofing shingles work well. But I recommend tarring them as well as nailing, otherwise the nails will probably just rip out. You may be able to get them cheaply if you go to a lumber yard and buy broken bundles.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I've seen chicken wire used.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    chicken wire and a staple gun = fast traction

Yay! Bikes !
    Quote Originally Posted by Polk
    Roofing shingles work well. But I recommend tarring them as well as nailing, otherwise the nails will probably just rip out. You may be able to get them cheaply if you go to a lumber yard and buy broken bundles.
    We used to use shingles. They do provide traction but do a lot more damage to your bike and body when you fall on them vs. just wood alone. We lost many a stanchion to roofing shingles in the early days!

Besides that if you ride in snow over the Winter as I do you'll find that the shingle will hold snow and water and ultimately turn into ice shingles. They have a tendency to stay that way long after snow melts and wood dries too. At least with simple wood I could just sweep off stunts with a broom.

We don't cover the wood with anything anymore. If you must and snow isn't an issue, just water, I'd opt for chicken wire or wire screen and a staple gun.

Post up some pictures of your stuff.

Glad to Be Alive
    might want to just cut some grooves into the wood...but chicken wire works the fastest and easiest
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    chicken wire seems kinda sketch. I recomend takind a saw or chainsaw and cutting a buch of criss X Cross groves in the wood.
    "What would happen to the Weather Channel's ratings if people werent scared anymore?"

Who pickin the banjo?
    Slippery Cunning Stunts are the best!
    "We ought never to look behind us with regret nor ahead with fear, but around us with awareness."

P-51 Crew Chief #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Polk
    Bam... This is the best way I have seen yet. Chicken Wire gives ya flat tires when it starts to degrade an the little wires start to seperate.
    Balls to the wall until you see god. Turn Left!

Members who have read this thread: 0