My sad ending to Dh- Mtbr.com
    crumb
    You could always ride dh with a HT, its been done by myself and many others.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

My sad ending to Dh

well so Im 16 been riding for about 4 years and my parents dont support me in the sport. I also ride hardtails i got a toy4. So anyway I planned to buy a Dback stricker at my local shop for a discounted price of 2650 bucks and thats 650 less then what others would pay. So its been 5 months and i could only pay 1000 cuz i have a bad job and cant seem to find money to do this. Unlike most of the Kids out there my parents dont support me in this at all every thing ive payed for myself 2500 toy4 was all myself took forver. So now im getting harashed by the shop and they want their money now and so basiclly im canceling it and so im stopping Dh. My buddies are gunna kill me but what can i do. I cant afford it at all and I love Hardtails more. Ive riden trials alot and really like it so basiclly since the shop has to keep my money for store credit anyway thougth i mite as well buy a zoo pitbull 26s bike. Atleast it will help my hardtail riding and I got some friends that ride trials so it shouldnt be bad. Sucks it has to end this way

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by saviorself
    You could always ride dh with a HT, its been done by myself and many others.
    Im not ridin the toy4 dh and i dont have money for another bike 1000 is all i got and id rather ride trials then dh on hardtails i perosnally dont like the feeling Ive done it before to

ride more.
    Nov 2004

its not over

You have plenty of time to DH. Now may not be the time, but be patient and don't give up. Though your current impression may be that "everyone else's parents" support DH, I am going to go out on a limb here and say that most kids your age are in your position. When I was sixteen, I was buying my own bike as well - and have been ever since. My first bike that I rode to death was a fully rigid Marin. That was in 1994. I bought my first full sus in 1996. Ride for fun and the DH will come in time. I did not get a DH bike until i was 24. That was an Ellsworth Joker, which wasn't even that "DH". I finally got a real DH bike last summer - Turner DHR. I am almost 28. And still riding like crazy and continuing to progress.

Moral of the story - don't give up. Work hard and make it happen. And be patient.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by drboudreaux
    You have plenty of time to DH. Now may not be the time, but be patient and don't give up. Though your current impression may be that "everyone else's parents" support DH, I am going to go out on a limb here and say that most kids your age are in your position. When I was sixteen, I was buying my own bike as well - and have been ever since. My first bike that I rode to death was a fully rigid Marin. That was in 1994. I bought my first full sus in 1996. Ride for fun and the DH will come in time. I did not get a DH bike until i was 24. That was an Ellsworth Joker, which wasn't even that "DH". I finally got a real DH bike last summer - Turner DHR. I am almost 28. And still riding like crazy and continuing to progress.

Moral of the story - don't give up. Work hard and make it happen. And be patient.
    Your deff rite there but im not giving up its thats I basiclly am stopping for the time being which is about a couple years then when i have some cash set aside i will deff come back to dh

Meh.
    Pssh, I'm 16 and I manage to pay for all my bikes. On a mechanic's earnings of $5.15 an hour nonetheless. At one time, I've had 4 bikes, and of them built more or less from the frame up. Haro Mirra 540 Air, Haro Escape 8.3, Diamondback XSL, Norco Six, Kona Coiler, Surly Instigator. And I built up a Escape 8.2 out of all spare parts not too long ago. I've sold all except for the Coiler, since that was the only bike I was riding after I got it. I would certainly like another hardtail though (not a Surly, I hate that thing).

where's the kick stand?
    Mar 2004
    Save up some more and you could buy a full suspension. Maybe not brand new, but a full suspension none the less.
    live to ride, ride to live

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Pssh, I'm 16 and I manage to pay for all my bikes. On a mechanic's earnings of $5.15 an hour nonetheless. At one time, I've had 4 bikes, and of them built more or less from the frame up. Haro Mirra 540 Air, Haro Escape 8.3, Diamondback XSL, Norco Six, Kona Coiler, Surly Instigator. And I built up a Escape 8.2 out of all spare parts not too long ago. I've sold all except for the Coiler, since that was the only bike I was riding after I got it. I would certainly like another hardtail though (not a Surly, I hate that thing).
    yea well its kinda hard when im also trying to pay off a car and have some spair money to go out and do other things. So im not just paying off the bike theres other things. I would just wiat and try to pay off the bike but their going to charge extra for the long wait after next week its going up and so i cant keep up with payments.

J_B
    3056-BigGameHunter
    That sucks but hang in there. We all hit bottom at one time or another. You'll wake up one day and go out to the garage to load your bike and it'll be super pimp. That day will be sooner than you think.
    Last edited by J_B; 01-22-2006 at 09:12 PM.
    PipeHittersUnion

e.thirteen,EVOMO,IntenseCycles,Maxxis,ODI,SDG,661

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdave52
    yea well its kinda hard when im also trying to pay off a car and have some spair money to go out and do other things. So im not just paying off the bike theres other things. I would just wiat and try to pay off the bike but their going to charge extra for the long wait after next week its going up and so i cant keep up with payments.
    I don't have to pay for a car seeing as how I don't have one, but I do have to pay for everything else: 3 meals a day, any and all clothes, school supplies, spending money, etc.

I've already managed to pay for 8 semesters of college. Prepaid college tuition a lawsuit, and my savings.

Most of my money is put into a bank account to pay for the rest of college expenses such as room and board, books, food, etc.

ride more.
    Nov 2004

a lawsuit?

8 semesters of college paid for - with prepaid college funds, A LAWSUIT, etc...

See, lawyers are good for something.

That sure makes me feel good going to school tomorrow. 3 more semesters and I am out with my law degree.

Now with flavor!!
    Ya know........I thought about it.........and it's really not that sad.

You have a bike, you have parents, you have all your limbs (you do right?), you have a roof over your head............and then complain about not being able to have a toy that cost as much as most kid's first cars.

Not really that sad at all. I didn't even START downhilling until I was 24. Good thing too cuz I surely wouldn't have been able to afford all this crap at 16.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by J_B
    That sucks but hang in there. We all hit bottom at one time or another. You'll wake up one day and go out to the garage to load your bike and it'll be super pimp. That day will be sooner than you think.
    You guys are all rite but for the time being im gunna be a full time hardtailer its basiclly what ive alwyas done dh was always something to go fast and just drops all thats stuff but it could wait sucks that its gotta be the year my buddies all get their new bikes too

Glad to Be Alive
    get a better paying job....if you want it you will get it....take a loan or use somones credit card
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

banned

buy used

take a look at mtbr classifieds, there are a lot of used dh rigs for under $1500. Get an older foes for $1k, $1.5k for a santa cruz...... you are probably not 200 lbs, so I wouldn't worry about breaking the frame.....

PS I had a paper route and earned nothing (almost), but my first DH bike was purchased used from Shaums and it was a great deal, rode it for years....

Good luck, and may the Force be with you, always....

≈ > ♥
    You've already got a Toy4...use your store credit for a DH-worthy wheelset or other parts you need, and go nuts while you save $ for a fully.
    Your frame is one of the most capable out there, use it and watch your skills improve a lot quicker than your friends starting on fullies. When you finally switch to a fully, you will own them.
    Owning/DH racing both a fully and HT, a fully is faster for racing, but I find riding a hardtail a lot more fun when you are just out playing with your buddies.

mtbr member
    Dave, your not quitting. Or I will kill you. I will help you find a used bike okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Guys the shop is keeping the 1000 i have already payed and it took me 5 months to make 1000 with two jobs working as a snowbaord instructor and food caterer. Now that the Catering place has no more parties the dont need us anymore and so im screwed. I wana stay in dh but its killing me on cash trials is cheap and its fun. ill come back to dh in a couple years i got time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Wtf?

when I was 16, I worked summers 5 days a week in the apple orchards for 3.35/hr. I could earn about $1,100 is a 12 week summer. one year I bought my first Mt. Bike and it cost me $280 new. the rest of my earnings were my spending money for the school year. you are seriously feeling down because you can't afford a top end luxury bike? what is your problem? get a used freakin' bike and stop whining.

Now that said, I know that kids can be very tough on each other, and especially when some get serious hand-outs from their parents. but come on, get some confidence, get a used bike. if you want to be really hardcore, strip is down, powder coat it, get some sweet decals, whatever - be a real badass not a poser. I used to camo-paint all my new bikes(and my skis).

Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull
    Dave, your not quitting. Or I will kill you. I will help you find a used bike okay?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thats too bad dave, you should use the money to fix up the cheetah. If you upgraded a few parts it would be fine, don't give up. You could get that thing running fine you know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    yes that does suck, why a daimond back :S? I bet if it was a traditional sport like gay old golf your olds would empty their pockets, anyway i have been paying for most of my bike stuff and i am 16. Its not like its the end of the world because your too ***** to ride DH on a hardtail.

mtbr member
    However I would like to say one thing. Now I will still be better than Dave on a big bike, but its a sad reason... Haha, dave is sick on the toy, he would show each and every one of you up so dont say anything about him being too ***** to ride DH on a hardtail
    what were is gnarcal

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Now I know this may sound like I'm from the "enemy", but I'm 54 years old and just happened on a sweet deal on E-Bay. I was watching for a 6" full susser for about 3 weeks and happened upon a '05 Scott Nitrous 22 SL 150-170mm for $625.00! it had a couple of days to go, so I figured it would shoot thru the roof. The biker had been part of a touring companys' fleet and had been used, sparingly, for 2 months. I went back to it on the day it was to end and saw that no one had bid, but that happens sometimes when people wait till the last minute. Well I waited till there was 1min. to go and bid $900.00 just to see what would happen.....guess what? I got a very slightly used '05 Nitrous for $745.00 WITH SHIPPING!!! So good Sh** happens too! Just be patient, this was the third time this has happened to me, on E-BAY, so all you have to do is be aware of what's happening and, again....PATIENCE! Good luck.
    TJ

crumb
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull
    However I would like to say one thing. Now I will still be better than Dave on a big bike, but its a sad reason... Haha, dave is sick on the toy, he would show each and every one of you up so dont say anything about him being too ***** to ride DH on a hardtail
    "Im not ridin the toy4 dh and i dont have money for another bike 1000 is all i got and id rather ride trials then dh on hardtails i perosnally dont like the feeling Ive done it before to"
    He said it himself, none of us are making stuff up or making fun of him, just trying to help him out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Too funny....
    100% of your income is disposable, and Mommy and Daddy are footing the bill for your essentials. Yet, you have the nerve to feel sorry for yourself because you can't afford a $3k DH bike. Wow...just Wow.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    since the shop's keeping the $1000 you really are in a bind. I was thinking of a few possible ideas. 1. find a used bike you like, and ask the shop to buy if for you, tell them they can keep a 10% "finders fee". 2. work for the shop to pay off the Strike. 3. Depending on where you ride DH, how about buying yourself a nice new HT with the $1000 at the shop, sell your other stuff to get back some of your money, and rent DH rigs for a few seasons until you can save up for your own?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Im not sad sad it just sucks to be put in this position. O and for all you 16 year old kids who pay for their bikes thats cool but i got a car to pay for and other lil debts so it aint easy and getting a 50 dollar check a week isnt helping. I cnat work anymore hours cuz then i wont have enough time to do school work. As of now ill just be racing mountian cross on the toy4 im not completely ending the dh think just basiclly stopping for some time. Theres still hope in all of this and i wish that the shop would give me the money back cuz theres plenty of bikes on ebay. The reason its sad is beacuse this was the year everyone got a new rig and i was planning on it till now.

Loves His Sunday
    First of all Dave doesn't feel bad for himself. He works two jobs one of which I work with him and he works his but off. But being a snowboard insturctor in CT pays hardly anything. This kid puts every dollar he can into biking and it is all he loves to do. He is insane on a hardtail, and word is he's rippin on a trials bike too after a few days of riding. I was just getting into the DH FR scene and Dave was teh first kid I met at school who mtbd seriously. He had a Cheetah ProLine DH that he rode until it broke and then rode it some more. he's not one of those kids that has to have the newest and greatest. We'll figure something out Dave. After all just Saturday at MT Snow you were talking about how sick this summer was gonna be when we go up on our bikes. DH is in your blood.
    SAYNDESYN on the Iron Horse Sunday,

"There is no weekness. It is the bike that Jesus built after he gave up carpentry."

Portland, OR
    dude, I've seen stinkys go for like 800 bucks. dont give up yet ! for one the le-toy is extremly versitile. it can easily handle downhill. but I know thats not what you want to do. try to just find a used older fully. there are lots out there for 1500. I saw a 04 SGS with a 888 and MRP cranks go for 1400 bucks. so there is a lot out there, just have to find it
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Most of my money is put into a bank account to pay for the rest of college expenses such as room and board, books, food, etc.
    Go to Chico State on the state's money. I have a friend that does that very sucsesfully .

SMT Supporter
    well so Im 16 been riding for about 4 years and my parents dont support me in the sport. I also ride hardtails i got a toy4. So anyway I planned to buy a Dback stricker at my local shop for a discounted price of 2650 bucks and thats 650 less then what others would pay. So its been 5 months and i could only pay 1000 cuz i have a bad job and cant seem to find money to do this. Unlike most of the Kids out there my parents dont support me in this at all every thing ive payed for myself 2500 toy4 was all myself took forver. So now im getting harashed by the shop and they want their money now and so basiclly im canceling it and so im stopping Dh. My buddies are gunna kill me but what can i do. I cant afford it at all and I love Hardtails more. Ive riden trials alot and really like it so basiclly since the shop has to keep my money for store credit anyway thougth i mite as well buy a zoo pitbull 26s bike. Atleast it will help my hardtail riding and I got some friends that ride trials so it shouldnt be bad. Sucks it has to end this way
    bioatch come to my country instead of crying, yo are lucky if u get 3usd/our. and bike/parts cost u twice than in the states (in dollars) 1dollar=3pesos so we have to work 6 times more than u to get same money. that will be thougth! so don't be gay

SMT Supporter
    well at least we don't have a crazy fundamentalist menacing to bomb our asses all the time.

ride more.
    Nov 2004

money at the shop?

Dave -

what is the deal with the money at the shop that you cant get back? Did you sign anything when you put the money down? I am just wondering whether they can really keep your money like that. If anything, you should be able to get a majority of the money back. Personally, I would not patronize that shop anymore if they are just being chumps and keeping your money. Give some more details about this - maybe some of us have had some experience with this and could give you some pointers on how to get your money back. I just don't think that they can just keep your money like that.

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    Moreover, if you did put money down for a certain bike, I dont think that they can then up the price of the bike and still hold your money. More info is needed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Man that sucks that the shop is keepin' your $ and that they being dicks about keeping the bike there 'til you can pay it for. I had my DH bike on lay-away for a coulpe months and the shop had no problem with it and it didn't cost me any extra. I'm 17 and I bought 2 band new bikes, but then again I don't really pay fo anything.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Ok so i went to the shop and told them i wanted my cash back we argued for lieka dn hour and then i was about o walk out and i told them im never gunna pay it off mite as well keep the thing and they handed me and application so maybe this will all work out but aftre im done paying the rig off im quiting no other shop does that they wnated 15% of 2650 haha yea rite thats for the restocking fee

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I just got off E-BAY and saw two BRAND NEW Scott Nitrous 11 with starting bids around $200.00! Don't pay some a-hole for a re-stocking fee on a bike that they'll sell for full price come spring. If your parents have a lawyer, see if he'll do you a favor and write them a letter. You did say your 16....UNDER AGE!!! your too young to hold a contract with!!! You can get your money back on that alone!
    TJ

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    this is true bikerdave -

that is what I was inquiring about. If you did not sign anything, and even if you did you are underage, that cannot hold you to it. They are essentially converting your money for their own use. I think that you have a lot more rights than you think. They are trying to flex their business muscles. However, they likely do not have a leg to stand on in keeping your money, other than a small penalty (but even that can be likely reduced because you are a minor). If it does not work out, you can get your money back most likely. I am 99% sure.

If you could give some more information about the way that all of this happened, then more people can probably help you out.

New project, TBA shortly
    threaten legal action to get your $ back, they never completed the sale so the "restocking fee" is pure BS. as long as the bike is brand new, and still in the shop (ie, they didn't let you take the bike home and ride it), they have ZERO right to keep your $.

however, the fact that they're offering you a job at a bike shop is definitely not something to turn your nose at. working at a shop gets you access to good mechanics and employee purchasing (usually).

hope this helps

Riding with...
    im 15 just payed off my 2001 jeep cherokee, just built up my haro dh bike and stp. i get 10.50 an hour in automotive painting.

moral: get a good job and dont whine on the internet, or people like me will rub it in your face.

hope everything works out for you
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith
    Isn't the proper etiquette on this forum to wait until he posts a picture of himself dropping it, and then spend 70 posts arguing about how big it is? I mean, let's not jump the gun, without a pic of his bike in the air, we can't have photoshopped triagulations and geometrical equations showing why it's really 2 feet and not 22 feet.
    "Quick, pass the bike up again so i can hit it before it starts to hurt!!"

AIM: Haroracer842

mtbr member
    I'm 19 and I know all too well about car payments and such. I dont have a car payment now but I have to throw down $500 for insurance every 3 months and then I have to pay $45 or so for my cell phone bill every month, and on top of that gas and routine maintenice on cars doesnt leave much money for MTB'ing. I'm currently trying to save up for a Cannondale Prophet 600 and it's slow going as I really only work weekends and then I go to college full-time during the week. Dont give up man, it will come.
    Remember, "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time".-D.Ritchie

Fartographer

Ummmm

You're only 16. This isn't the end. My parents never bought me anything except boarding school
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Tell your parents that this Bike shop is owned by the like the Russian Mafia or something and if they don't pay up they're gonna kill ya

DH the hardtail! or get a job that pays more!

mtbr member

is this lbs

in connecticut?
    "Hillbilly in a corporate world"

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Yeah those pricks have no right to keep your money at all. The only way to fight a dick is to be a dick yourself. Do what I do (i was able to get a free camera after breaking the original and telling them it was defective from the beginning) threaten to call the attorney general if they dont give you your money back. Have your dad come with you, having an adult with you will make your case stronger. Nine times out of ten it will work. Then take their application and shove it back in their face. Yes, having a job at a shop is great experience but there is no way I would work for these guys. Then make sure you tell everyone you know how terrible the shop is and that they shouldnt shop there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker662
    Yeah those pricks have no right to keep your money at all. The only way to fight a dick is to be a dick yourself. Do what I do (i was able to get a free camera after breaking the original and telling them it was defective from the beginning) threaten to call the attorney general if they dont give you your money back. Have your dad come with you, having an adult with you will make your case stronger. Nine times out of ten it will work. Then take their application and shove it back in their face. Yes, having a job at a shop is great experience but there is no way I would work for these guys. Then make sure you tell everyone you know how terrible the shop is and that they shouldnt shop there.
    Well i already hate the shop one two i never buy anything from them beacuse i can go online and buy it for a **** load cheaper and have it shipped adn still be cheaper. Im not gunna work for them im gunna just get me bike and never walk in there again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Update

So yea they told me that either i pay the restocking fee or i need to pay it off and i never signed anything just i came intot he shop one day i told them im saving for a banshee scream ( this sickest freeride bikes ever) and i was like i need some parts to buy. They were like why the scream will sell you the stricker on a discount price. Its like a sick ass bike like besides the frmae its the highest parts group they could have one it ( el caminos,boxxer team,eight tracks,xo sram stuff,protaper bars and stem...) But anyway so i told them theres no way i could buy it 3200 bucks hell no. They told me ok will drop it to 2650. They said nobody wnats it and willing to sell it for that cheap. So i was like k but it will take forever there like ok thats fine ( thinking i would have it payed off in 4 months). It been 3 and i only got 1000 payed off. So they told me i need to start bring more in. So i freaked and didnt want it no more so i went tot he shop and then they argued with me about it and wer elike either you pay up or youre only getting 85% of your money back and were keeping it in store credit i was like wtf. So i told my parnets thats this is getting outa hand and id rather have the bike so they are willing to pay it off and im going to owe them bigg time but its better then nothing atleast i get to ride which makes me happy...

Fartographer

"i was able to get a free camera after breaking the original and telling them it was defective from the beginning"

That's sleazy. Two wrongs don't make a right. Karma's gonna getcha.

crumb
    So yea they told me that either i pay the restocking fee or i need to pay it off and i never signed anything just i came intot he shop one day i told them im saving for a banshee scream ( this sickest freeride bikes ever) and i was like i need some parts to buy. They were like why the scream will sell you the stricker on a discount price. Its like a sick ass bike like besides the frmae its the highest parts group they could have one it ( el caminos,boxxer team,eight tracks,xo sram stuff,protaper bars and stem...) But anyway so i told them theres no way i could buy it 3200 bucks hell no. They told me ok will drop it to 2650. They said nobody wnats it and willing to sell it for that cheap. So i was like k but it will take forever there like ok thats fine ( thinking i would have it payed off in 4 months). It been 3 and i only got 1000 payed off. So they told me i need to start bring more in. So i freaked and didnt want it no more so i went tot he shop and then they argued with me about it and wer elike either you pay up or youre only getting 85% of your money back and were keeping it in store credit i was like wtf. So i told my parnets thats this is getting outa hand and id rather have the bike so they are willing to pay it off and im going to owe them bigg time but its better then nothing atleast i get to ride which makes me happy...
    dude i cant even understand what youre saying, try some punctuation

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yeah those pricks have no right to keep your money at all. The only way to fight a dick is to be a dick yourself. Do what I do (i was able to get a free camera after breaking the original and telling them it was defective from the beginning)
    You're the prick, mtnbiker662. I hope you get shot by a stray bullet from some criminal.
    my bike is a $250 "department store" full suspension bike... seriously....

Fartographer

Lesson?

Never do layaway. Save up and then buy. Or use a credit card - although the credit card companies have their own methods of screwing you. They own my ass.

I would try to get out of buying the bike from them. Sounds like that shop is owned by a-holes. They shouldn't get your money. Electronics dealers do the restocking fee thing - but only when you take the the item home and then return it. This is the first time I've heard of a "restocking fee" when the item was never out of stock. Get it? What they're telling you is BS.

Spill the beans. What's the name of the shop and what town is it in?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    good for you. glad you ended up w/ a bike.

Loves His Sunday
    Gald you figured it out dave. Lots of fun tonight. This summer is gonna be sick.
    SAYNDESYN on the Iron Horse Sunday,

"There is no weekness. It is the bike that Jesus built after he gave up carpentry."

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Never do layaway. Save up and then buy. Or use a credit card - although the credit card companies have their own methods of screwing you. They own my ass.

I would try to get out of buying the bike from them. Sounds like that shop is owned by a-holes. They shouldn't get your money. Electronics dealers do the restocking fee thing - but only when you take the the item home and then return it. This is the first time I've heard of a "restocking fee" when the item was never out of stock. Get it? What they're telling you is BS.

Yea i get it i wana end it all now im sick of them and besides i wanted a dh bike and now i have it just the way they were acting about it is total BS

ride more.
    Nov 2004

Dave -

Don't give them your money. Don't take your parents into a shop that sucks to get the bike. If your dad is willing to help you out, take him in there and get your money back in cash, not in store credit. Take him in there, negotiate peacefully, and then if it gets ugly, tell them that you are filing a report with the Better Business Bureau and threaten legal action. First of all, this is completely illegal what they are doing, even if you were 18 and could legally enter into a contract. Secondly, the fact that you signed nothing and were not told of this "re-stocking fee" before giving them your money means that they lose. Period.

Many times, businesses are very wary to have a negative rating from the BBB, much like consumers are worried about their credit ratings being negatively affected. Also, ask to speak with either the manager or the owner instead of some shop hack who may be on some kind of power trip. Anyone who has any sort of business experience or business sense will refund your money. Another thing that you could do is call your local news station and report the problem to the station consumer-help reporter. They may be interested in doing a story of some kind on this. All it would take is some reporter walking into the store inquiring about the store's policy on withholding money of minors attempting to buy products, and they will fold in a heartbeat. Get you rmoney back and don't go there anymore.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nViATi
    You're the prick, mtnbiker662. I hope you get shot by a stray bullet from some criminal.
    Ok, let me set the record straight. I never actually did anything to break the camera. One day I the screen just stopped working. It was less than a month since I bought it so I went to CompUSA and asked them if I could get an exchange because I didnt know how it broke. They said no, I thought it was ridiclous so I threatened the manager that I would call the attorney general and they gave me a refurbished camera right away.

I am aware that the way I said this earlier sounds like I intentionally screwed them out of a camera and that the camera breaking was my fault. Thats not what I meant though. You had every right to react to that the way you did. I am sorry I wasnt clear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Ok, let me set the record straight. I never actually did anything to break the camera. One day I the screen just stopped working. It was less than a month since I bought it so I went to CompUSA and asked them if I could get an exchange because I didnt know how it broke. They said no, I thought it was ridiclous so I threatened the manager that I would call the attorney general and they gave me a refurbished camera right away.

I am aware that the way I said this earlier sounds like I intentionally screwed them out of a camera and that the camera breaking was my fault. Thats not what I meant though. You had every right to react to that the way you did. I am sorry I wasnt clear.
    Ah... In that case, I am sorry for reacting too quickly without asking for clarification.

me like bikes
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo

You have a bike, you have parents, you have all your limbs (you do right?), you have a roof over your head............and then complain about not being able to have a toy that cost as much as most kid's first cars.

Not really that sad at all. I didn't even START downhilling until I was 24. Good thing too cuz I surely wouldn't have been able to afford all this crap at 16.
    haha yeah i'm 16...my first car which i still have is a 1994 mitsubishi mighty max truck that i conviced a guy to sell it to me for 600bucks instead of 1200! but after about a few thousand miles and my brother abusing it for his winter car before i could drive it started to die. i finally got my license and about 2 weeks into it i dropped a cylinder! fun fun so i spent the little money to redo the valve stem seals and it lasted anotgher thousand miles. only to drop a cylinder angain and so i spent two days dropping a slighty used stock motor into it that i got from junk yard and now i've put tons of miles on it and i'm still driving it. but i'm getting a 1996 audi a4 1.8t soon! woohoo! so basically you gotta work on a budget and cut corners to save money. for example i bought a crappy car and put time and effort into it so i could afford other things. which in this case was paying for racing motocross and all new gear casue i couldn't fit into my old stuff. i endup taking 600bucks and spending it on new gear, but i would live with what i had.

so i you really want a new bike...save, deal with what you have, and be frugel and take the cheap way out of things. it worked for me and allowed me to race motocross all summer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Ah... In that case, I am sorry for reacting too quickly without asking for clarification.
    No problem. I understand how you would interpret it that way. Its my fault. No hard feelings.

Riding with...

all true, but you must all look in perspective in shop owners view.
    they get offers from manufacturers sometimes saying "well give u this bike on closeout for this much off" and then the shop can either buy it and wait to sell it, or try and get someone to want it then order it discounted (this lbs's case). when they order the bike, they need it payed off, or there losing money. when u said you didnt want the bike, im assuming they had already ordered it, as in they bought it from diamondback for x ammount of money. if you dont want the bike, they just bought a bike they dont need, so i can see how they need a restocking fee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith
    Isn't the proper etiquette on this forum to wait until he posts a picture of himself dropping it, and then spend 70 posts arguing about how big it is? I mean, let's not jump the gun, without a pic of his bike in the air, we can't have photoshopped triagulations and geometrical equations showing why it's really 2 feet and not 22 feet.
    "Quick, pass the bike up again so i can hit it before it starts to hurt!!"

AIM: Haroracer842

ride more.
    Nov 2004

KevinM -

All very good points. However, there are two problems with that analysis in this case - and they are related.

First of all, this is a 16 year old customer. You are spot on that if this had been a 30 year old customer, or even 18, the bike shop would be much more in the right and could have a viable excuse or defense. However, the fact that they are dealing with a customer who is 16 years old, that doesn't fly. Even if there was some sort of oral contract or agreement, it still holds no water because it is with a minor, who lacks the capacity to enter into any sort of contract. No offense to Dave, the customer, but this is legally true. This is why when signing a contract or when riding at a resort, if you are under 18 years of age, you must have parental approval of the purchase or the activity before you will be allowed. It is so the store/resort/whatever has a leg to stand on in court and has some defense if things go wrong.

This is related to the second point, which is who is in a better position to absorb the loss? The fact is, when dealing with a 16 year old customer, the store is always in a better position to bear the loss, and they will be forced to do so in many cases. Especially in a situation like this, where they took someone's money essentially as a deposit on a bike with the understanding that he could pay it off later. This is a contract (see above) and even if it were valid, they are now in breach by demanding full payment when the customer did not agree to any specified time to repay. Restocking fee is dumb. The shop should have thought of the situation they were getting themselves into before agreeing to hold the bike for the man. If they did this to me, they would lose a lot more money in the long term in potential legal fees and loss of goodwill in the community (which means future sales) than they would by failing to return me the full amount of my deposit, earnest money, whatever you want to call it.

Again, I agree with you about the bike shop's perspective, but in this case, they lose.

Meh.

CompUSA sucks anyways. I hate that place.

Meh.
    It's called the Strike. Not the Stricker. Cool that you got the bike.

Welcoming Doormat
    Im not ridin the toy4 dh and i dont have money for another bike 1000 is all i got and id rather ride trials then dh on hardtails i perosnally dont like the feeling Ive done it before to
    ok, i never ridden trails in Ct, but i don think they can be much mor narcore than So Cal, and u can totally ride DH with hardtail, im still learnin on a seccond hand hrdtail, and i can do nethin and still have fun, also hardtail dh makes u better at FS dh, so just ride dh with a hard tail untill u gots the money for fullsuspension

but eitherway good luck....
    A Proud Member of The Zombie Killer Squadron "we kill zombies dead"

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    "i was able to get a free camera after breaking the original and telling them it was defective from the beginning"

That's sleazy. Two wrongs don't make a right. Karma's gonna getcha.
    Read what his later posts. He worded his first post wrong.

T.Dot Represent
    lol i was in the same rut as you when i was 15 now im 17 and i haev a ful on downhill bike trust me stuff comes up and u can get mad hook ups from time to time just keep riding and youll get what u deserve!
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hey, it took me almost two years to save up for my DH bike. Keep at it, and you will be able to do it. And hey if you really get down about it, realize that DH is really expensive (broken parts, transport, etch), so you will be saving money in the long run.

mtbr member
    KevinM -

All very good points. However, there are two problems with that analysis in this case - and they are related.

First of all, this is a 16 year old customer. You are spot on that if this had been a 30 year old customer, or even 18, the bike shop would be much more in the right and could have a viable excuse or defense. However, the fact that they are dealing with a customer who is 16 years old, that doesn't fly. Even if there was some sort of oral contract or agreement, it still holds no water because it is with a minor, who lacks the capacity to enter into any sort of contract. No offense to Dave, the customer, but this is legally true. This is why when signing a contract or when riding at a resort, if you are under 18 years of age, you must have parental approval of the purchase or the activity before you will be allowed. It is so the store/resort/whatever has a leg to stand on in court and has some defense if things go wrong.

This is related to the second point, which is who is in a better position to absorb the loss? The fact is, when dealing with a 16 year old customer, the store is always in a better position to bear the loss, and they will be forced to do so in many cases. Especially in a situation like this, where they took someone's money essentially as a deposit on a bike with the understanding that he could pay it off later. This is a contract (see above) and even if it were valid, they are now in breach by demanding full payment when the customer did not agree to any specified time to repay. Restocking fee is dumb. The shop should have thought of the situation they were getting themselves into before agreeing to hold the bike for the man. If they did this to me, they would lose a lot more money in the long term in potential legal fees and loss of goodwill in the community (which means future sales) than they would by failing to return me the full amount of my deposit, earnest money, whatever you want to call it.

Again, I agree with you about the bike shop's perspective, but in this case, they lose.
    I suddenly want to go to BYU law...
    "Better safe than scarry"

www.3dmtb.net

TNC
    noMAD man

Perspective is everything!

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo

LOL!...I think you hit it on the head. We do tend to look at things from our own perspectives, don't we. Hell, I remember being bikerdave's age, working at a grocery store, and being a consumed and avid hot rodder. I couldn't make enough money to buy all the crap for my '57 Chevy that I lusted for during that time. It's only natural...most of us always want waaay more than we can afford, even when everything is going perfectly. Not flaming you bikerdave, but life will go on and you'll enjoy it...hopefully. There's plenty of time for other bikes and the other fluff that fills our lives. Relax and enjoy the $1000 of store credit that you do have. If you're still riding bikes at my age, look at it this way...you still have 38 years of riding an buying cool bikes ahead of you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    LOL!...I think you hit it on the head. We do tend to look at things from our own perspectives, don't we. Hell, I remember being bikerdave's age, working at a grocery store, and being a consumed and avid hot rodder. I couldn't make enough money to buy all the crap for my '57 Chevy that I lusted for during that time. It's only natural...most of us always want waaay more than we can afford, even when everything is going perfectly. Not flaming you bikerdave, but life will go on and you'll enjoy it...hopefully. There's plenty of time for other bikes and the other fluff that fills our lives. Relax and enjoy the $1000 of store credit that you do have. If you're still riding bikes at my age, look at it this way...you still have 38 years of riding an buying cool bikes ahead of you.
    Read the rest.
    what were is gnarcal

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    sweet. glad your dad was cool about bailing you out. you're obviously not spoiled so it's nice that they can/will bail you out of a really tough spot.

it worked out good for everyone really. I'm sure you and the shop both had your moments of dickness throughout the situation just based on frustration. The bottom line is you really wanted the bike, and they wanted to sell it to you. As they say, all's well that ends well. No use in dwelling on the past and holding a grudge. Especially not when you got a brand new Strike for $2650. The new DB's are amazing, the component list is unreal. Have a great time with it.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Your totally right

Quote Originally Posted by KevinM[Freerider]
    im 15 just payed off my 2001 jeep cherokee, just built up my haro dh bike and stp. i get 10.50 an hour in automotive painting.

moral: get a good job and dont whine on the internet, or people like me will rub it in your face.

hope everything works out for you

I just turned 17 and I own Nissan Pathfinder, a 2005 Demo Pro, and a Enduro Expert. My Parents would laugh if I asked for money. I am totally self-sufficient. I pay for everything myself. I know, if you wanted it bad enough, you could find a job. I live in a town with 500 people and I was able to work and make all that money. I am not trying to put you down or anything, but you can get whatever you put your mind to. ________

T.Dot Represent
    even if its a shitty job if u work many hours and save you can get a lot of money faster then u think
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Not to sound like a dick, but being a small business owner I feel the need to enlighten you on the other side of the story.

This kid made a verbal agreement to buy this bike and pay it off in a reasonable amount of time. He chose to not hold up on his end of the bargain and after three months this business is stuck with depreciated inventory. Chances are it was last year's model anyway and every month that goes by that it is not sold it loses value. The three months that have passed without this kid paying off the bike there could have been numerous selling opportunities. Since it was not available to be sold, it was out of stock! 15% Restocking is not a big deal for what they were doing for him, they didn't back out on their deal, the kid did.

Because he is 16 he may have no legal bindings, but if he backed out on this deal it is dishonest and unfair. Whats your "word" worth? I'd like to think I can trust someone who gives me their "word", but after all these people saying that they have nothing in writing etc. I apparently should start getting more things in writing.

Kids expect to many handouts today, I would have never dreamed of ever owning a $3k bike when I was 16. To those that have the discipline to save up that much, congratulations. For everyone else, just because your parents don't shell out a few grand on a bike does not mean they don't support you mountain biking. To raise a kid to the age of 18 today costs well over $100k and that is with just necessities, so don't ***** and moan when you don't get a few extra $100 or $1000's spent on your latest ipod, mountain bike, or car.

Rant over...

Kill that $hit!

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by phlavorman
    Not to sound like a dick, but being a small business owner I feel the need to enlighten you on the other side of the story.

This kid made a verbal agreement to buy this bike and pay it off in a reasonable amount of time. He chose to not hold up on his end of the bargain and after three months this business is stuck with depreciated inventory. Chances are it was last year's model anyway and every month that goes by that it is not sold it loses value. The three months that have passed without this kid paying off the bike there could have been numerous selling opportunities. Since it was not available to be sold, it was out of stock! 15% Restocking is not a big deal for what they were doing for him, they didn't back out on their deal, the kid did.

Because he is 16 he may have no legal bindings, but if he backed out on this deal it is dishonest and unfair. Whats your "word" worth? I'd like to think I can trust someone who gives me their "word", but after all these people saying that they have nothing in writing etc. I apparently should start getting more things in writing.

Kids expect to many handouts today, I would have never dreamed of ever owning a $3k bike when I was 16. To those that have the discipline to save up that much, congratulations. For everyone else, just because your parents don't shell out a few grand on a bike does not mean they don't support you mountain biking. To raise a kid to the age of 18 today costs well over $100k and that is with just necessities, so don't ***** and moan when you don't get a few extra $100 or $1000's spent on your latest ipod, mountain bike, or car.

Rant over...
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Bum Buzzer
    KevinM -

The torts lawyer sitting next to me strongly disagrees. (WA, CA Licensed/Bar)

The money was committed, he changed his mind. The store is right! Hopefully he's learned a lesson. In addition, as honest as he may be, we're hearing the argument from one side and that is a disappointed young man. 15% us steep tho, depending on circumstances - I would suggest he find another buyer for it as close to the original quoted price and only lose the difference!

mtbr member
    Guys read up. Hes getting the bike.
    what were is gnarcal

~=SOME*CAL=~
    Just because he is 16 doesn't mean he can't be held responsible for his investment. Regardless of a contract, a store policy is a store policy. If he chose to invest money into a store he bought into their rules and regulations. Can a 16 year old take back a pair of jeans to the mall a year later because he wasn't old enough to enter into a purchase agreement? I find it hard to believe that in a $1,000 transaction, there was no paper trail stating the policy.

Anyways, glad you got your bike, and don't be ashamed of getting a little help from the folks. My pop bailed me out plenty of times when I was younger, and I turned out just fine. Just remember to pay him back some day. It feels good to be able to walk back to your folks some day and hand them some cash, or by them something big to make up for all the times they did it for you.
    Department of Redudency Department

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Check out Craigslist.org

Check out craigslist.org. They are in most cities now and I have seem some unbelievable deals on a pretty regular basis.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Creditcards, loans, debts-debts-debts...

I can understand your situation really sucks. Especially with your parents not supporting the sport.

However, there are a few things I find difficult to understand:
    - Why didn't you save the money first and then buy the bike?
    - Why do some people suggest a loan or creditcard? He's not even close to being self-sufficient yet. Only 16-years. Having debts. Good prospect.

Well you learn. Maybe it's better for you to look for a less expensive bike next time.

Keep riding though. Maybe your parents support you on the long run.

Cheers,

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    57 Chevy.............. I thought it was your covered wagon
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Members who have read this thread: 0