My New VP FREE- Mtbr.com

Thread: My New VP FREE

mtbr member

My New VP FREE

Here's my new VP Free, ti coil, 888R works, DT swiss FR hubs, Sun MTX rims, Race Face bars, stem, crank, post, headset, Evil guide, Maxxis tires, X.O., XTR cassette. Its the sweetest bike I have ever ridden. The other 2 are my friends
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wounds heal, chicks dig scars, and glory last forever.

mtbr member
    3? i hate you.

question: on the first pic, it looks like the lower roller is just about touching the chainstay. i ask because i usually put mine a bit more forward than that, but it doesn't look like you can. any issues with it in that position so far?

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Very nice!! Awesome parts package you got there. One question, what seat is that?? Looks like a BMX. Congrats!!

What's this for anyway???
    The saddle looks like a DMR saddle... designed for their Rhythm DJ 24" bike.

NICE BIKES!

<b>---Matt---</b>

eci
    so you guys date three sisters?
    drive 3 different color f150's?

rider
    sickass bike man!
    what size is it? post some action pics soon
    -rtth
    "who vants a mustache ride?"

I wanna talk to Samson!
    oooohhhh shiiii. 3 of those mofos. thats sweet. they all look super sweet.

yours being the coolest one ive seen yet.
    congrats.
    Last edited by konabiker; 07-19-2004 at 10:28 AM.
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

mtbr member
    May 2004
    omg, thats a dream ride dude. i love it, thats the grey powder coat? If im certain none of them are anodized right? What are the weights of those beast! I have never seen those rims? Sun Ringle? Like a 321 or r they lighter? Tubeless or not? Sweet rides. thats like almost 12grand sitten there! awesome, where do u guys ride?

mtbr member

sweetness

All those bikes are sweeettt!!! and 3 of them...WOW! i have to pick up my drool off the floor now!

IJR
    I Just Ride

Nice

Are either of your buddies using a clamp style front drlr or are they using the BB mount?

mtbr member

The rims are Sun MTX I'm running them tubeless with stans. The two with 888 weight right at 39. It is a DMR seat it;s big and comfy. I have not had any issues with the guide hitting the frame. This bike is by far the sickest ride I have evered owned

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Right on! You have the build that I am pursuing with mine. I have been curious of the Daibolus cranks and the e-thirteen DRS and I have expressed my concern and asked questions in various other forums and with EVIL, RaceFace and Santa Cruz. All getting different replies.

Are you using a standard clamp derailer or did you go the e-type and are using the added frame clamp?

If you are using the E-type derailer, are you using the e-type backplate from e-thirteen with the DRS? Evil states that if I use an e-type derailer, I need to use their e-type backplate with the DRS.

Did you have any hassle with the Duabolus cranks? What I mean is, did you have to space the cranks out funky or grind the chainstay swing link bearing protrusion on the non-drive side?

These issues and the hassle with external bearing cranks and the VP-Free are discussed by Speedgoat cycles in their build-up here: http://www.speedgoat.com/feature-vpfree.asp

How much did you have to grind the e-13 bashguard o fit with the diabolus? Was it a big deal?

Whatever method you used for this crank/chainguide setup, do you find your chain line to be good? Or is it off slightly and you are just dealing with it?

I know this is alot of questions, but any answers you can provide me will help me with my build up and would be much appreciated.

Nice bike.

Thanks

Edit:
    Upon further inspection, I can see that you are just using an e-13 guide with no front derailer. Some of the questions still pertain however.
    I also see that your freinds bikes have front derailers and diabolus cranks. Well at least the black one does that I can see. MAybe they can provide any answers to my questions as well?

Thanks
    Last edited by slayer2003; 07-19-2004 at 05:33 PM.

EV-
    Eye Candy...
    those bikes are awesome...i want one or three...the 888R works are sick
    EV-

Demolition Crew, Serial Number 0069...

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    BJ hates u...

the new 05 888rs are sick...how do they peform man...and whats ur ride like if uve rode it...sweet set ups tho...are all u dudes sponsored no ur VP-Frees...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    I'm running Diabolus cranks with a E-13 DRS. They fit together no problem, no modification required. The frame is a Bullit, so can't help you with frame and guide issues.

mtbr member
    I had not one single problem with the cranks,guide, or frame. There was no weird spacing issues. The only thing is that you have to grind out the bashguard to fit the wide crank arm

mtbr member
    Let's just say I know a guy

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Slayer check your PM's.....

Nice Free's

You will need to rotate your SRS guide, more, however you will not be able to, the reason you need to rotate it, is so when you sit into your travel and use your travel that the roller will retain tension throughout your travel, as of right now it will not..... Race Face will have a longer spindle, 83mm shell and new sleeve coming out in the near future so that you can achieve the proper 55mm chainline and 100% correctly install a SRS or DRS as of right now you can install it as you see here, but will not be able to 100% correctly get it installed and use it to it's potential.

There will also be a tool available to press and pull spindles for race face diablous cranks in the near future, so you the consumer or your LBS will be able to replace your spindle with the proper one.

so until race face releases a longer spindle, sleeve and 83mm cups we will either have to do without e13 guides or run them not quite installed properly. I wont be running one, and I will be using a Envy Double e2 until I can get a longer spindle just so I can have some chain security.

as of right now I have mine set up with a standard front der. and dual ring diablous and everything shifts and works fine, using about a 52.5-53mm chainline achieved with spacing not listed in the race face directions

IJR
    I Just Ride

Hey Castle

"as of right now I have mine set up with a standard front der. and dual ring diablous and everything shifts and works fine, using about a 52.5-53mm chainline achieved with spacing not listed in the race face directions"

what size front drlr did you get and is it top or bottom pull although with the newer ones I don't think that matters. I called SC and they wouldn't tell meanything besides get an E type. They said it wouldn't work even though I'm only going to use two chainrings. Right now I've got a single on it but I've got an atlas crankset ordered.

Thanks

PCC

mtbr member
    I have been riding my free for about a month and a half now. Not once have I dropped a chain or missed a shift. SO not one single problem with my guide or chainline

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    wicked...

so u gunna spill the beans on the new 05 888r works then...

and what are those disc brakes...the calipers look like the new Saint ones...but the rotors are smaller so are they like hone or summin...or am i completly off track...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Castle
    Slayer check your PM's.....

Nice Free's

You will need to rotate your SRS guide, more, however you will not be able to, the reason you need to rotate it, is so when you sit into your travel and use your travel that the roller will retain tension throughout your travel, as of right now it will not..... Race Face will have a longer spindle, 83mm shell and new sleeve coming out in the near future so that you can achieve the proper 55mm chainline and 100% correctly install a SRS or DRS as of right now you can install it as you see here, but will not be able to 100% correctly get it installed and use it to it's potential.

There will also be a tool available to press and pull spindles for race face diablous cranks in the near future, so you the consumer or your LBS will be able to replace your spindle with the proper one.

so until race face releases a longer spindle, sleeve and 83mm cups we will either have to do without e13 guides or run them not quite installed properly. I wont be running one, and I will be using a Envy Double e2 until I can get a longer spindle just so I can have some chain security.

as of right now I have mine set up with a standard front der. and dual ring diablous and everything shifts and works fine, using about a 52.5-53mm chainline achieved with spacing not listed in the race face directions
    Hey Castle, I sent yo an e-mail in response to your PM.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Its the best fork I have ever been on. I can't say one bad thing about it. The brakes are hope it's a 180 in the front and a 160 in the rear. Its a four piston brake. They kich a$$

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Here's mine

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Heres mine as well

[email protected] NYC Freerider
    wow, real nice bikes everyone--one question, do you guys ride them at all? how do you keep em lookin so fresh and new . you felles must lick your bikes clean after every ride....

where's the kick stand?
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by primopro250
    Here's my new VP Free, ti coil, 888R works, DT swiss FR hubs, Sun MTX rims, Race Face bars, stem, crank, post, headset, Evil guide, Maxxis tires, X.O., XTR cassette. Its the sweetest bike I have ever ridden. The other 2 are my friends
    i dont mean to be an idoit but how come yours doesnt have the gussit from the seattube to the top tupe.sweet bikes
    live to ride, ride to live

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

[email protected] NYC Freerider
    Quote Originally Posted by madmax
    i dont mean to be an idoit but how come yours doesnt have the gussit from the seattube to the top tupe.sweet bikes
    yeah...werd, i didnt even notice that...is it an 05 frame cause i dont know much about Santa Cruz bikes...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    you know, i saw that exact bike on eBay a couple days ago.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Master_Jako
    yeah...werd, i didnt even notice that...is it an 05 frame cause i dont know much about Santa Cruz bikes...
    His is a small frame. The smalls do not have this like mine which is a large, but the mediums have them as well.
    This is the same on Bullits and Hecklers except it is the curve in the top tube rather than the extra tube.

mtbr member
    May 2004

its on ebay as we speak....

mustve been a really great bike.........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...691536537&rd=1

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    damn! wonder what happened to him?!?!? hope he's ok and not injured...... selling a bike that new is odd....

Samsonite Tester
    That has got to be the same bike on e-bay.

What happened ? Does it suck ?
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

IJR
    I Just Ride

here's mine

Since this appears to be the VP Free picture post I'll stick mine up here.

mtbr member
    May 2004

what what!?

is that a junior T on your VP Free???

IJR
    I Just Ride

03 Super T

I've got it set up perfect for my weight and style of riding so I'm not going to buy another fork right now. Maybe after the 66's have been out awhile but not before then

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Sizing?

Question for primopro and other vpfree owners. How is the standover height like? I noticed you have a Small size frame. How tall are you? I'm 5' 7 and has been advised to get the S for better standover and maneuvaribility. Pls post your experience on this.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jackcfk
    Question for primopro and other vpfree owners. How is the standover height like? I noticed you have a Small size frame. How tall are you? I'm 5' 7 and has been advised to get the S for better standover and maneuvaribility. Pls post your experience on this.
    The standover height is the same for all sizes (S-M-L-XL). It is 32.3". It sounds really tall, but when you actually go and sit on one, it seems completely natural.

mtbr member

Might As Well.....

Since everyone is posting pics of their VP Free bikes, here's mine.....

Specs:
    04 Super T Pro
    Shimano Saint Cranks
    Hayes HFX Mag HS Brakes
    SRAM X0 Rear Derailleur
    SRAM X9 Trigger Shifters
    SRAM Cassette & Chain
    Chris King Headset
    Easton EA70 Monkey Lite Bars
    Mavic XM 819s On A Hadley Rear Hub and Hope Bulb Front Hub
    Michelin Tubeless Tires
    Thomson Seatpost
    WTB Laser V Saddle w/ Ti Rails
    ODI Ruffian Lock-On Grips
    Manny

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Manny & IJR

Hi Guys,
    I notice that you guys are riding a M size, with the gusset on the seat tube. I prefer that as well but I'm afraid that M will be too big for me. How tall are you guys?

IJR
    I Just Ride

Mine is a Large

I'm 5'11 with a 32" inseam. Standover isn't a problem for me. Since I've got a long upper torso I get a large so I won't be cramped. If I get a med I have to run a really long xc stem to stretch out or my back will be killing me within an hour of riding.

This bike handles great, it's very stable at speed. Jumps and drops are nothing on this bike, when you land it's like you're landing on cotton.

The only problem I've encountered so far is on very slow technical trails. The wheelbase is so long that picking your way through rocks is tough. This situation is probably exaggerated by the 38 tooth single I've got on it right now but I'll have that replaced with a double by the end of the week.

mtbr member

Jack.....

I'm riding a Large, not a Medium. You can tell by looking at the gap between the gusset and the top tube.

If you look at Primo's VP Free, his doesn't have the gusset because his is a Small. The Mediums that his friends' have have a small gap between the gusset and the top tube. Ours are large and have a bigger gap in between.

By the way, I'm 6'1" and the large is perfect for me.
    Manny

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Here's a pic of my completed ride

Got rid of the Boxxers. They didn't suit the rear of the bike at all. I also have some Z150's for those rides that have a lot of climbing. The fork is still tall but the ECC lockdown is gold.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Someone Is Selling Your Bike On Ebay

check out this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

I was looking for a vp frame on ebay when I came across this right after checking out all of your new bikes. Maybe someone is using your pictures for a scam.

mtbr member
    yea i saw that too!!!!! my dad bid on it at 1000 bucks and some idiot tried makin my dad get another VP-free for a "better" price! it was wierd.