My NEW SABER!!!- Mtbr.com

Thread: My NEW SABER!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My NEW SABER!!!

My new trail riding, dirt jumping, freeriding machine =P
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Noice! Haven't seen anyone posting a saber in a while...sweet lookin bike.

Youngbuck
    Sweet,how much did that cost ya?
    Honorary Member of the: 500 club

where's the kick stand?
    Mar 2004
    sweet setup,I never really seen one built like that,thats awsome.
    live to ride, ride to live

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianHooligan
    Sweet,how much did that cost ya?
    $4K. Not too bad considering the parts (Hadley hubs, Race stem/bars, somewhat DH setup) I'm waiting on my new 05 Fox air shock that will replace the Romic.

So far I LOVE THIS BIKE

I've got to get back on my Giant DH this weekend because she's been jealous.

mtbr member
    Looks sweet...! I've always liked those frames... and nice spec by the way

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    looks nice

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by ender
    $4K. Not too bad considering the parts (Hadley hubs, Race stem/bars, somewhat DH setup) I'm waiting on my new 05 Fox air shock that will replace the Romic.

So far I LOVE THIS BIKE

I've got to get back on my Giant DH this weekend because she's been jealous.
    4k? someone doesnt know how to shop jk. that seems a little high, but its a really nice bike. i would love to have a short travel trail/jump/urban bike.
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

Artist formly Poop
    looks sweet but 4k would kill me...

I only spen 1100 building up my dirtbag
    Pirates are the S

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    4k? someone doesnt know how to shop jk. that seems a little high, but its a really nice bike. i would love to have a short travel trail/jump/urban bike.
    Yeah, 4K is a lot of $$. I don't really have time to shop around when building a complete bike which is why I just went for the build kit. I did save at least $200 by building it myself.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Couple of questions!

How does it pedal/climb?

Whats the tire clearance like?

Any problems hitting the rocker arms when you pedal?

How does the Saber stack up to other long travel bikes you have ridden?

Nice lookin' bike. Never seen one on the trails which kind of suprises me considering the bang for the buck.

t66
    mtbr member

NICE but small bang for $4k

How come so much? I've seen the frames on sale from $800-$950. Hayes brakes are reasonable. SC Manitou couln't be too high. Hubs are a little pricey.

It's a sweet ride, but you got no bargain. Was that an LBS purchase? If so they could have hooked you up a little better.

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    i must admit...

in australia...for 4000 us you could kinda get a new DW Sunday World Cup...sooo ahhh...i think it was a bit more than expensive thats bloody crazy...all that matters tho is if you think it was worth the moeny and if you do then...have a bloody ball on the thing man...

(do you live in the us)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rug wheelie
    How does it pedal/climb?

Whats the tire clearance like?

Any problems hitting the rocker arms when you pedal?

How does the Saber stack up to other long travel bikes you have ridden?

Nice lookin' bike. Never seen one on the trails which kind of suprises me considering the bang for the buck.
    Tire clearance is great! I have a 2.7 tire up front and a 2.5 on the rear both w/ plenty of clearance. A 2.7 tire on the rear might be tight but, if you really wanted to put one if would probably fit.

I'm not exactly sure what the rocker arms are but, I definitely don't hit anything when I pedal.

I used to have an Ellsworth ID and aside from my Saber being heavier and WAY stiffer it's a very similar ride. I really like the short wheel base making this bike rail in the corners and the ability to bring up the front end w/ ease. I haven't really ridden to many other long travel bikes and I chose the Azonic mostly due to the low price tag and being able to have a super long seat post for those long climbs. I did check out a Rocky Mountain Switch which felt decent but, I can't really say because I only rode it around the block at the lbs.

Yeah, there is no reason this bike couldn't be a super stiff xc bike. Mine is a little heavy @ 38lbs but, I'm used to my Giant DH so, it's no big deal. I wanted something I could dirt jump and freeride by simply adjusting the air in the suspension. I should get my Fox air shock today! With some lighter wheels, bars, stem, and brakes you could get it under 30 lbs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by t66
    How come so much? I've seen the frames on sale from $800-$950. Hayes brakes are reasonable. SC Manitou couln't be too high. Hubs are a little pricey.

It's a sweet ride, but you got no bargain. Was that an LBS purchase? If so they could have hooked you up a little better.
    I got it at Go-Ride. When I spec'd out the parts I got without the kit discount it was @ $4500. I figure Go-Ride would be pretty competitive in price. I'll get a full complete parts list and price later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    i must admit...

in australia...for 4000 us you could kinda get a new DW Sunday World Cup...sooo ahhh...i think it was a bit more than expensive thats bloody crazy...all that matters tho is if you think it was worth the moeny and if you do then...have a bloody ball on the thing man...

(do you live in the us)
    Yeah, I'm super stoked on this bike even if I did pay a little too much!! =P

Yup, born and bred in the us of a.

mtbr member
    Hello ender, just wondering how you like the new shock, I think you got it anyway. What
    i2i and what stroke shock did you get?

thanks, Bob

zul
    Will Guide for Beer

Good job! No. Bad, very bad idea.

Tire clearance is great! I have a 2.7 tire up front and a 2.5 on the rear both w/ plenty of clearance. A 2.7 tire on the rear might be tight but, if you really wanted to put one if would probably fit.

I'm not exactly sure what the rocker arms are but, I definitely don't hit anything when I pedal.

I used to have an Ellsworth ID and aside from my Saber being heavier and WAY stiffer it's a very similar ride. I really like the short wheel base making this bike rail in the corners and the ability to bring up the front end w/ ease. I haven't really ridden to many other long travel bikes and I chose the Azonic mostly due to the low price tag and being able to have a super long seat post for those long climbs. I did check out a Rocky Mountain Switch which felt decent but, I can't really say because I only rode it around the block at the lbs.

Yeah, there is no reason this bike couldn't be a super stiff xc bike. Mine is a little heavy @ 38lbs but, I'm used to my Giant DH so, it's no big deal. I wanted something I could dirt jump and freeride by simply adjusting the air in the suspension. I should get my Fox air shock today! With some lighter wheels, bars, stem, and brakes you could get it under 30 lbs.
    You have a sweeet long travel bike. Do not ruin it with XC specs! Enjoy it for what it is, a sweet FR dropping machine that many cannot afford. You have THE ride. Who cares about the price paid when your shAt eatin grin is from ear to ear.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zul
    You have a sweeet long travel bike. Do not ruin it with XC specs! Enjoy it for what it is, a sweet FR dropping machine that many cannot afford. You have THE ride. Who cares about the price paid when your shAt eatin grin is from ear to ear.
    i don't think he's planning to make it under 30 pounds, i think he was just saying that for reference or something.

Just ride
    man, I would leave that romic on the bike, those shocks are sooo sweet! they are so smooth, i suppose u could save a bit of weight going to an airshock, but those romics are bomb proof, and they are so amazing at suckin up the bumps. Which is important for a lower travel trail bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ride red
    Hello ender, just wondering how you like the new shock, I think you got it anyway. What
    i2i and what stroke shock did you get?

thanks, Bob
    I actually really like the Romic. The i2i is 7.5 @ 2.0.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zul
    Yeah, I'm not worried about the price because I'm having such a blast riding it. The only thing XC I put on it was the Fox RP3 but, I don't like it so, I put the Romic back on. I actually really like the Romic!

FM
    mtbr member
    What are you doing with your rp3? PM me if you're selling it, I might be interested.

What did you not like about it btw? I've heard they ride really nice, and the one I tried felt better than most coil shock's I've tried.

Yeah, I'm not worried about the price because I'm having such a blast riding it. The only thing XC I put on it was the Fox RP3 but, I don't like it so, I put the Romic back on. I actually really like the Romic!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You should put that guy in 6 inch mode

www.Go-Ride.com
    866-467-4334

Master of Custodial Arts
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    Are you kidding! Thats way high. My complete 04 SGS WC cost me $3500. That is redonkulous.
    When my mom tries to tell me what to do I tell her to SHUT HER HOLE BEFOR I KICK HER IN THE NUTS!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by James @ Go-Ride

Hi James, are you still diggin the Saber?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    heck yeah! The 5" mode with the Romic is GREAT for dj though!

I'm lovin this bike James although I cased HARD on a jump and already cracked the rear rim. I guess when spokes start falling off I'll call you for a new rim =P

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnar
    Are you kidding! Thats way high. My complete 04 SGS WC cost me $3500. That is redonkulous.
    What's the build specs?

keep the shiny side up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnar
    you got f'ed in the A on the SGS!!!!
    you can get one much cheaper than that!!

btw ender,
    nice ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Phat_Head

btw ender,
    nice ride!
    heh yeah, I really really like it

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ride red
    Hi James, are you still diggin the Saber?
    Yeah actually, ever since I put the Z150 and Push shock on it in June/July I have been so stoked on the bike. It's a bit heavy for long climbs now, but I raced it in two of our state races this summer and didn't really feel like I was lacking that much (although the courses weren't super high-speed and no big airs or anything). The 6" in back is just about enough for anything. If only there was a 7" version available . . . but FSR isn't really the best design for long travel like that. Take for example the Dare or the Uzzi SLX. Geometry is way messed up on these bikes compared to what they're supposed to be competing against.

Of course the classic argument for big travel FSR bikes is that you can just use a 24" wheel in design. This is what industry insiders term a "Band-aid."

Anyway yeah, love the bike still

www.Go-Ride.com
    866-467-4334

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah actually, ever since I put the Z150 and Push shock on it in June/July I have been so stoked on the bike. It's a bit heavy for long climbs now, but I raced it in two of our state races this summer and didn't really feel like I was lacking that much (although the courses weren't super high-speed and no big airs or anything). The 6" in back is just about enough for anything. If only there was a 7" version available . . . but FSR isn't really the best design for long travel like that. Take for example the Dare or the Uzzi SLX. Geometry is way messed up on these bikes compared to what they're supposed to be competing against.

Of course the classic argument for big travel FSR bikes is that you can just use a 24" wheel in design. This is what industry insiders term a "Band-aid."

Anyway yeah, love the bike still
    You have a Saber too James? You are cool.

Master of Custodial Arts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phat_Head

btw ender,
    nice ride!
    I got it before supergo and all those online stores were selling them for god knows how much. Besides, have you ever seen them available on those stores. Plus, the price was after I upgraded to a ti coil, and got the Romic integrated stem. Pretty damn good deal if you ask me, with that kind of comp. spec.
    When my mom tries to tell me what to do I tell her to SHUT HER HOLE BEFOR I KICK HER IN THE NUTS!

mtbr member
    Good to see your saber and nice setup! This is my Xtension Xplore which is the name of
    Saber sold in Asia. There seems to have some difference at the gusset though. It is my
    only and all-around bike. It just came back from a repairment. The bearing of the pivot on
    chainstay was loose. Is this a common problem or it's just me? I am worried about it
    happen again cause I was told that they have only one year warranty on the frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Why won't they make 15" Sabers?!?!?!?!

The 17" is a tab too big but why no 15"!?!?!?!?!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cheetos316
    The 17" is a tab too big but why no 15"!?!?!?!?!
    Yeah, I can understand that. The bike might be a tad small for me (I'm 5'11") and anyone 5'8" and under it might feel a little big. I'm also getting an Orange 223 and it only comes in small and large. I should be fine w/ the small but, a medium would be ideal. Weird how some manufactures "skip" a size for some reason or another.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eastpeak
    Good to see your saber and nice setup! This is my Xtension Xplore which is the name of
    Saber sold in Asia. There seems to have some difference at the gusset though. It is my
    only and all-around bike. It just came back from a repairment. The bearing of the pivot on
    chainstay was loose. Is this a common problem or it's just me? I am worried about it
    happen again cause I was told that they have only one year warranty on the frame.
    Cool! You have the large which has a gusset at the top tube and seat tube where the small does not. My bearings have come loose a couple times. It's normal and it may require a little loc tight.

Be sure to check all pivot bolts before each ride! It's good practice and puts you at ease.

mtbr remember
    nice ride, a tried and true design.
    yeah, a 15" model would be a sweet 4x weapon!
    Your picking up an Orange 223 too! Sounds like you have a lot of $$$ to throw around, esp. if you paid $4k on this bike, and aren't worried about that!?! You can easily build up a VP-Free for that price! btw- There are a lot of other bikes I would get before a 223, but I guess that's just personal preference, it's your mula after all.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    nice ride, a tried and true design.
    yeah, a 15" model would be a sweet 4x weapon!
    Your picking up an Orange 223 too! Sounds like you have a lot of $$$ to throw around, esp. if you paid $4k on this bike, and aren't worried about that!?! You can easily build up a VP-Free for that price! btw- There are a lot of other bikes I would get before a 223, but I guess that's just personal preference, it's your mula after all.
    I went through my reciepts and the cost of my bike was @ $3500 completely brand new.

I have to sell my Giant DH first but, yes I'm getting a 223 eventually =)

I want a dh race bike, not a big hit trail bike. My Giant is a single pivot bike but, I want a more simple design and a bit more travel. The 223 is a great frame!

Transition Blindside v5

New question here. RP3 vs Romic on Saber ?

Hi ender,

Nice ride! I don't have a Saber yet myself, but I'm dying to get my hands on one (hopefully soon). For me, it would be dressed more like a heavy-duty trailbike rather than full-on FR.

Anyway, yes, I'd also like to know what/how/why you didn't like RP3 on Saber, please. Very curious... I thought it'll be a similar idea as this one red SC Bullit with Swinger of somebody's that I've seen over in Santa Cruz forum.

For coil weight, what are you running? I'm 150lbs/5'8" + 15lbs/gear. Romic told me to go with 550lbs if set at 5" and 600lbs if set at 6", and they said 650lbs would be too heavy for my weight. What do you think? By the way, I'm thinking of putting my current TALAS (& everything else) up front anyway (no $$$ for new fork, for now). What do you think? Would TALAS be a good match with Romic in the back or better with something like RP3 in the back instead?

Thanks for your info in advance,
    - PiroChu
    Last edited by PiroChu; 11-03-2004 at 02:22 PM.

Transition Blindside v5

... and if we just ... That's it! Just ordered mine...

Gosh, I've been so good holding out since June, but I can't take it anymore!! (hahah)
    I finally broke down and just placed an order for a silver 17" Saber frame with a Romic shock ($800 from Wheel World).

I hope that a 550lbs weight spring (per Romic) for my 150lbs/5'8" weight + 12~15lbs/gear for 3~4 footer hits is a good fit (at 5" setup).
    I also hope that my 5" TALAS (air) up front is a good match for Romic (coil) in rear (at 5"-travel option).

With lack of $$$ left, I'm just gonna move all parts from my current rig (pic below) for a starter...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?postid=403326
    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...id=24522&stc=1

Can't wait to build up my new trailbike (more aggro-XC than full-on FR). I'll post some pictures once it's all built-up. (Stay tuned...)
    - PiroChu
    Last edited by PiroChu; 11-05-2004 at 11:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PiroChu
    Gosh, I've been so good holding out since June, and I can't take it anymore!! (hahah)

I finally broke down and just placed an order for a silver 17" Saber frame with a Romic shock ($800 from Wheel World). I hope 550lbs weight spring (per Romic) for my 150lbs/5'8" weight + 12~15lbs/gear for 3~4 footer hits is a good fit (at 5" setup).

Can't wait to build up my new trailbike (more aggro-XC than full-on FR).

With lack of $$$ left, I'm just gonna move all parts from my current rig (pic below).
    I hope TALAS (air) 5" up front is a good match for Romic (coil) in rear (set at 5").

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?postid=403326
    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...id=24522&stc=1

I'll post some pictures once it's all built-up. (Stay tuned...)
    - PiroChu
    YO! First of all I didn't like the RP3 compared to my Romic because I had to set it up pretty stiff so it wouldn't bottom out all the time. The Romic just felt smoother to me and I guess I'm just more of a coil shock fan. I think my Romic is 550. I'm 5'11" and weigh 160 and it feels perfect. How much travel does the Talas have? If it's 5", which is what I have, you will be fine. I would think anything shorter than that might not feel well balanced.

BTW, you should be fine with a 550lb spring. You might even be able to go to 500lb. 3 - 4 drops, to flat, will be NOTHING =P

You are going to have a SICK ride and you will LOVE it!

Transition Blindside v5

New question here. your cockpit questions

Hi ender,

Some more questions...

Looks like I'll need a new stem (short fork steertube for long frame headtube) & a new seatpost (different diameter) & a new handlebar (safety-replacement schedule) for my new frame.

I'm just curious... Could you please let me know the spec of your stem (length/angle) & handlebar (width & sweep) & seatpost?

What's the minimum length of seatpost to be kept inside the seattube so not to crack the seattube/seatmast? Will 350mm just enough or too long or too short?

My current Titec riser bar measures to be 640mm, but I can't tell if the rise is 1" or 1.5"? How do I tell a rise? I'd like to stick to something similar to what I've been using.

I think you're a bit taller than I am --- I'm only 5'8" but I have long torso/arms + short legs.
    So I'll probably need a longer stem (ie. 100mm/8degree) than yours to do a bit more XC-climbs than you do your FR-stunts(?).

Anyway, thanks again for your info in advance,
    - PiroChu
    Last edited by PiroChu; 11-06-2004 at 02:58 PM.

Transition Blindside v5

Good job! Finished building up! (X-post from "What Bike to Buy" forum)

ender,

Just finished building up mine (spec'ed with a bit more climbing in mind than yours?)

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=59750

I just went out on my 1st test ride this afternoon, and all went well - except maybe I need a lighter spring...? The rear shock kinda felt a bit too stiff. I guess I'll just have to dial it in more, and see... Also, is there a "break-in" period for a spring?

Last edited by PiroChu; 11-14-2004 at 11:04 PM.

mtbr member
    May i suggest a shorter stem. that jsut looks out of place and if i think i remember right your only like 5'8" so its unnecesary...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

Transition Blindside v5

New question here. How would I go about picking a stem?

Hi Red Bull,

Thanks for your stem suggestion. I'm still new to the Freeride side of bike components & spec'ing. I've always had more-XC-oriented stems (such as the one in the pic, which is 100mm/8-degree), and I've never had a short blocky/square-ish stem (that's often seen on a Freeride bike).

Yes, I'm 5'8"/150lbs with longer torso/arms & shorter legs. With this bike, I just made sure that I keep the same distance between the tip of the saddle & the tip of the stem, which was what I had with my previous (aggro-XC) bike, which came from the previous (XC) bike before that.

While I'm used to this upper-body stretch, I'm open for suggestions. (After all, I just put a wider riser bar on this bike - a big jump from my previous 25" riser to this 28" riser.) Well, I enjoy going downhill and hit logs etc, but I also have to climb for a while to get there. Is there a general rule of thumb of more-freeride-oriented components/spec'ing of an appropriate stem size? How would you suggest that I go about picking a (shorter) stem for me & my bike? Length? Rise? etc

Thanks for the info in advance,
    - PiroChu