My new (to me) fork!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

My new (to me) fork!

My new fork just arrived via ups. freakin sweet. its a 02 super t, off ebay for a mere $170. being fairly new to the whole downhill and even bike world, i dont know wut the knobs do on the top, if someone could tell me wut they are, and wut i should do to get them where i need them that would help. also, when i installed it... should there be a spacer in between the top crown and the headset? because it doesnt sit on it right, its only the the outer part on sides of the crown. i took a few pictures, man if feels like a totally differant bike. the steering feels so different. i'll be getting one of those sexy new sc titans soon and maybe the geometry will be where it should be...

oh yeah, the last one is of wut my new super t replaced. went from about 2 inches of travel to 6....
    Attached Images Attached Images

[email protected] NYC Freerider
    say good bye to your headtube/frame relationship.

edit-- and your frame warrenty too.

ridin' is my escape
    go buy a azonic steelhead hardtail frame for like 170, cause with that rake your bound to rip the headtube apart from the rest of the frame.
    nice fork though, its pretty sweet
    _SouthBaySoldiers_

:\ ping of death
    You put a dc fork on a Trek 4300?
    What the hell is an aluminum falcon?

Metal Head
    Quote Originally Posted by Master_Jako

You said it dude!!!!! You are going to sheer off that headtube with those forks. Take them off that frame unless you want to get hurt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SBSfreerider
    go buy a azonic steelhead hardtail frame for like 170, cause with that rake your bound to rip the headtube apart from the rest of the frame.
    nice fork though, its pretty sweet
    oh, i didnt think about that, well i'll be getting a titan within the month, so i should last that long.... right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saved1
    You said it dude!!!!! You are going to sheer off that headtube with those forks. Take them off that frame unless you want to get hurt.
    ok, now ya got me worried. is it actually that urgent? is it really gunna snap of my headtube? like no doubt? i'm not trying to be an ass. but i really dont wanna swap everything back on to my old fork, and have to wait a month just lookin at my new baby i was riding downhill with that pos fork, so thats prolly askin for trouble as it is

ridin' is my escape
    if you take any huge drops ,stairs, or anything slightly big, itll be done in less than a month, if your just doing light xc trails, 3 stair drops, wheelies, etc..... you might be fine, i hade a giant iguanna , i put a 105 mm travel fork on it, and that little extra rake, and the bigger stuff i felt i could do, resulted in the frame seperating about a month in a half later.
    _SouthBaySoldiers_

mtbr member
    if you take any huge drops ,stairs, or anything slightly big, itll be done in less than a month, if your just doing light xc trails, 3 stair drops, wheelies, etc..... you might be fine, i hade a giant iguanna , i put a 105 mm travel fork on it, and that little extra rake, and the bigger stuff i felt i could do, resulted in the frame seperating about a month in a half later.
    i dont typically do drops, biggest like 3 foot to nice tranny. its most fast relatively smooth downhill

MTBR Mafia
    well then you "should" be fine if you get a new frame in a month. but i guess it depends on you weight too.
    trust me, you DO NOT want to brake a frame at the headtube. ill give you one guess how i got my avatar
    All Mountain was so 2005

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by thebikedoctor33
    ok, now ya got me worried. is it actually that urgent? is it really gunna snap of my headtube? like no doubt? i'm not trying to be an ass. but i really dont wanna swap everything back on to my old fork, and have to wait a month just lookin at my new baby i was riding downhill with that pos fork, so thats prolly askin for trouble as it is
    I wouldn't ride it long term or very agrressively on that frame - but for short term you should be ok as long as you keep the wheels on the ground.

My friend rode his Trek like that for a few weeks while his Yeti got replaced.
    Nothing to see here.

Who pickin the banjo?
    Change your screen name....
    "We ought never to look behind us with regret nor ahead with fear, but around us with awareness."

ridin' is my escape
    u should be fine for a month, wear a full face if you gonna be going "big" , but if i was you id go make 170 and buy a steelhead to replace the trek, and than you can saftley ride that, untill you get whatever kind of bike you want, thats what im doing now, the steelhead is a great cheap frame, and it replaced my iguanna when i cracked that due to to much rake, and its giving me time to sdave up for my downhill rig
    _SouthBaySoldiers_

i dont typically do drops, biggest like 3 foot to nice tranny. its most fast relatively smooth downhill
    No offence but do you even know what downhill is?

ridin' is my escape
    start looking for something similar to this :
    _SouthBaySoldiers_

kona-tize me captain

i would be extra carefull when riding that combo. just becuase u see some hardtails with dual crowns doesnt mean ur trek can do it to. but question why do u need a dual crown, if ur only doing 3 foot drops andddd smooth downhill?

and like everyone says go buy a steelhead its the bike for you. even if it does cost 170 its gonna cost u alot more money to fix that snapped frame when it dies out.
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Master_Jako

Ride it untill it starts to crack , then take it into your Trek dealer ( the one you bought the bike from ) and get a warrenty credit !
    Then go get a session frame and your set !!
    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

Chinky on a Stinky
    May 2004
    "the bike doctor," ironic
    Straight outta Compton..............

Team Tony Train - FR/DH Forever!!!!
    Sponsors: White Devil Syndicate (we're workin on it 'aight?)

DREAM THEATER

mtbr member
    yeah, like i said its short term till i can get a new titan. i'll try to keep it on the ground and maybe turn down the speed a little till i cant get rid of it. does having a dc fork void my warranty? it doesnt reallty matter to me, but it would be nice to get some cash if it does start to crack.

i do need a dc fork, i wanna head up to a couple races at platty and diablo and i figure it would make sense. plus i got it for mad cheap...

does anyone know about the adjustment knobs?

and yes the bikedoctor screen name does need to change, but i'm way to lazy. plus hopefully i'll stop making stupid mistakes like this in time...

Dude, don't sweat it. All of us have done sh*t like that before. Have fun, ride carefully, and get that Titan as soon as you can afford it. Sweet fork, and a really good deal, BTW.

does anyone know about the adjustment knobs?
    If you have to ask that question, why'd you buy it?

Chinky on a Stinky
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by phoeneous
    If you have to ask that question, why'd you buy it?
    dont be an ass.

ive never even touched a super t before but they should be for preload/reboud. dont they have some arrows pointing to a + and - sign?

DREAM THEATER

only yeti with dh skills

warranty

hmmm..try not to mention the dc fork when u ask for the warranty cause in the case of trek and specifically that frame....a dc fork voids the warranty.
    Supported by: www.biroma.ch
    Food: Tuna Salad and Lasagna
    Hate: Winter, Zürich's City Council, Zürich's Old People, Winter...Specially Zürich's Winter, Zürich's Prices
    Love: Zürich B-itches

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by marsb
    Dude, don't sweat it. All of us have done sh*t like that before. Have fun, ride carefully.....
    truer words were never spoken.....

i doubt your riding ability is something this bike has to worry about at this moment. pimp that shizz.....

Quote Originally Posted by Chikity China
    dont be an ass.

ive never even touched a super t before but they should be for preload/reboud. dont they have some arrows pointing to a + and - sign?
    Thats like buying a car and not knowing how to use the features. But whatever, good look with the fork.

mtbr member
    LOL

aka Jesse Palmer
    just slap the old one on before you take it in

And phoeneous, how the hell is he soppesed to know what the adjustment knobs are specifically for before he buys it? Is he going to go out and spend 12 hours trying to find the 2002 Marzocchi manual, or is he gonna snap up that great deal on ebay before it ends.

Why don't you tell him exactly what those two knobs do sense you are such a smart-ass, and then maybe tell him about spring rates, oil viscosity, how compresstion and rebound dampning works, and the proper way you like to install baskets and streamers to all your downhill bikes.

kona-tize me captain
    Quote Originally Posted by jp3d
    just slap the old one on before you take it in

And phoeneous, how the hell is he soppesed to know what the adjustment knobs are specifically for before he buys it? Is he going to go out and spend 12 hours trying to find the 2002 Marzocchi manual, or is he gonna snap up that great deal on ebay before it ends.

Why don't you tell him exactly what those two knobs do sense you are such a smart-ass, and then maybe tell him about spring rates, oil viscosity, how compresstion and rebound dampning works, and the proper way you like to install baskets and streamers to all your downhill bikes.

dude phoeneous u just got tolddddd big time dude. but come on u know jp3d is right u should know what
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

Don't skid
    Dude, if your just getting into DH that fork will be real nice for you. I have an 04 Super T and love it. Don't listen to the a$$ clowns out there giving you $hit. One knob should be for rebound and one should be for compression. Start playing with one knob at a time. Turn it all the way one way and see how it feels. Then turn it all the way the other way and see how it feels again. This should give you some idae about what it is supposed to do. Then do the same with the other knob. You could take it to your LBS to and ask them. Or email Marzocchi.
    As for the fork on that frame, don't ride it very long like that or do anything crazy on it. If you are getting a new frame in a month you might be fine. But then again I am far from an expert in these matters so its up to you. Just check your head tube often.
    Have fun.

Glad to Be Alive
    2002 Super T is a great fork...congrats...for 170 I would buy that
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

WWT
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    start looking for something similar to this :
    Ouch! I saw a GT DHi do that once...

aka Jesse Palmer
    Are you running a hope on the rear and some cheap mechanical on the front? You might want to switch those around for better stopping power.

Chinky on a Stinky
    May 2004
    Thats like buying a car and not knowing how to use the features. But whatever, good look with the fork.
    wuts wrong with that? u ask someone and ull figure it out eventually

we wouldn't be getting anywhere if we had to know 100% how to use something before we buy it. hell, i wouldnt have a computer

DREAM THEATER

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jp3d
    Are you running a hope on the rear and some cheap mechanical on the front? You might want to switch those around for better stopping power.
    good call dude, but i dont wanna have to cut the lines and all that ****. i'd rather spend time riding than working... plus i origionally was gunna make it into a xc bike so i got a tiny 5.5inch rotor.... brakes come next after the frame

thanks for the info all. i'm just gunna play around with um to figure it out. and get that new frame asap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Um not to scar you bit did you see what juano did with DC and it was titan which is stronger, he says it was only on a bunny hop too

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ride+cut+shorthttp://http://forums.mtbr.com/showth...ride+cut+short

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KONA_in_SB
    Dude, if your just getting into DH that fork will be real nice for you. I have an 04 Super T and love it. Don't listen to the a$$ clowns out there giving you $hit. One knob should be for rebound and one should be for compression. Start playing with one knob at a time. Turn it all the way one way and see how it feels. Then turn it all the way the other way and see how it feels again. This should give you some idae about what it is supposed to do. Then do the same with the other knob. You could take it to your LBS to and ask them. Or email Marzocchi.
    As for the fork on that frame, don't ride it very long like that or do anything crazy on it. If you are getting a new frame in a month you might be fine. But then again I am far from an expert in these matters so its up to you. Just check your head tube often.
    Have fun.
    you guys should not make fun of this guy when only one of you even has a slight clue how to explain how the adjusters on a 02 zoke bomber work (chikity china).
    bikedoctor i owned that fork heres the skinny. the large knobs are preload adjusters. the flat screwdiver accessible heads set in the middle of those knobs are rebound adjusters. first set your preload. turn the preload adjusters ccw until they stop. ideally the fork should sag about 2" when you stand on the pedals with no preload. i prefer running the preload wide open so if you weigh close to 160 the stock springs should get you correct sag. if it sags too much you need heavier springs or add preload. doesnt sag enough you need lighter springs.
    now set the rebound adjusters to the middle of their range. ride the bike and find a dip. ride the dip medium fast in the saddle. the rebound should match your weight transfer as you come out of the dip. if it feels like the bike is bucking you slow down the rebound (turn each 1/4 or 1/2 turn cw). if the bike reacts slower than your weight transfer speed up the rebound. ride through a small curb or g-out at 10-12 mph to check your rebound and adjust again.
    oil height and weight are how you adjust compression. i recommend 10wt oil (over stock 7.5) and 5-7mm oil height over stock (in each leg) for the 02 super t. dont go higher than 10mm above stock thats about as progressive as it will get before you start losing travel.
    maybe some of you guys should lay off others as old forks adjustments are not common knowledge for those newer to the sport.
    Divide Bike Bags

Schmeow Productions
    lol, my mom didn't know that she could open the trunk by hand, and always used the keys after 7 years.....

Schmeow Productions
    Quote Originally Posted by HuckMyAge
    Um not to scar you bit did you see what juano did with DC and it was titan which is stronger, he says it was only on a bunny hop too

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ride+cut+shorthttp://http://forums.mtbr.com/showth...ride+cut+short
    but did you see the size of that fork?

Schmeow Productions
    Quote Originally Posted by dream4est
    you guys should not make fun of this guy when only one of you even has a slight clue how to explain how the adjusters on a 02 zoke bomber work (chikity china).
    bikedoctor i owned that fork heres the skinny. the large knobs are preload adjusters. the flat screwdiver accessible heads set in the middle of those knobs are rebound adjusters. first set your preload. turn the preload adjusters ccw until they stop. ideally the fork should sag about 2" when you stand on the pedals with no preload. i prefer running the preload wide open so if you weigh close to 160 the stock springs should get you correct sag. if it sags too much you need heavier springs or add preload. doesnt sag enough you need lighter springs.
    now set the rebound adjusters to the middle of their range. ride the bike and find a dip. ride the dip medium fast in the saddle. the rebound should match your weight transfer as you come out of the dip. if it feels like the bike is bucking you slow down the rebound (turn each 1/4 or 1/2 turn cw). if the bike reacts slower than your weight transfer speed up the rebound. ride through a small curb or g-out at 10-12 mph to check your rebound and adjust again.
    oil height and weight are how you adjust compression. i recommend 10wt oil (over stock 7.5) and 5-7mm oil height over stock (in each leg) for the 02 super t. dont go higher than 10mm above stock thats about as progressive as it will get before you start losing travel.
    maybe some of you guys should lay off others as old forks adjustments are not common knowledge for those newer to the sport.
    some of you guys just got majorly told. so very nice job dream4est.

mtbr member
    muchos gracias dream4est. unfortunately the outer larger knob on the right side is missing, but i can still turn it so its all good. it can with heavy springs in it i weigh about 160, right now the sag is about 1 1/2 inch, so i gues thats about right, but i dont know wut its set at, so i'll take a look now that i know wuts going on. thanks again.

in response to seeing the sliced up titan, do u think i will be ok with having a 150mm fork on it, or should i look at some differant frames?

ballbuster

How does it feel....

....to:

1) Void your lifetime frame warranty
    2) ruin the handling of your bike
    3) pedal that thing uphill
    4) have the front wheel skate out from under you around any turn you take at speed
    5) pick your teeth up off the trail when the head tube shears off
    6) loose your spell checker

But dang, it looks cool! Chicks dig guys with big forks who can't spell.

What is it with this board? Is it really a sign of cool to write like a 'tard?
    Last edited by pimpbot; 06-18-2005 at 08:41 PM.

Im not even going to bother arguing with you degenerates. I dont even know why I even bother browsing this forum. Stupid kids...