My new Jedi, an Elka and 3 weeks in BC- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

My new Jedi, an Elka and 3 weeks in BC

As some of you may know, I have been riding a Jedi since last April, but for some reason, felt the need to get a fresh ‘09 for my trip to BC. The biggest question was “should I stick with the Roco that I know and love, or take a chance and try out an Elka?” The one thing that I really liked about the Roco was how lively it is. I’m constantly playing on the trail, looking for any rock or root to pop off of, as well as being on the constant lookout for a good jump to huck off of. I have ridden Jedi’s with DHX’s and always blew threw the travel just preloading off of jumps, (which is not very confidence inspiring). I have ridden my bro’s Jedi with a Cane Creek and wasn’t stoked with how dead the bike felt. Could the Elka be the answer???

I was fortunate enough to meet Patrick Tellier from Elka at the Mount Sainte Anne WC. He invited me to try a Stage 5 at Bromont the following weekend. After slapping it on my bike I was anxious to see if I would jump ship after riding Roco’s for 4 years.

I headed up to my favorite trail at Bromont, named Trail 20, and headed down trying to pin every corner in sight. The first thing that I noticed was how much smoother the rear of the bike felt through choppy sections. (HUGE BONUS!!!) The next thing that I noticed was the bike actually pumped better through the short turns on the trail, (this is why I love #20!!!) So far so good. The question is will the bike still pop off things when I start to play? Well, I almost overshot the alpine slide table at the bottom of the hill!!! SICK!!! I ran over to Patrick and he offered to take a few runs with me to really dial it in. Now, I generally have a good understanding on suspension setup, but this was such an amazing opportunity to learn from a Pro. As we rode sections of a trail, he would watch how both my bike and I reacted to different terrain. He would then tweak a few knobs and we would hit the section again. I was blown away that adjustments would actually work so you can actually feel a difference with a single click of the knob. By the end of the day, my Jedi was SO dialed that I forgot that I was riding my bike. It was just me, flowing down the trail.

Fast forward one month and I found myself on an EPIC three week BC vacation. We based ourselves out of Whistler with plans to ride as many other locations as possible. I had a few friends from back home with me, Pound and Bernard, as well as my amazing wife that sincerely enjoys a day of filming without ever getting bored.

We hit Whistler up a bunch, Sun Peaks in Kamloops, as well as a few of the other local goodies- oh man, they build stuff SO BIG out there. Then we finished the trip off with a few banging days with my bro Ian from Squamish. Ian is the tour guide of the century as he knows all the good secret spots!!!

All and all the trip was super RAD, and I am blown away with my new bike and it’s factory tuned Elka!!!

I just want to thank Chris, Lance, Patrick and of course my wife for making this all possible…

Well, enough of my babble. Here's a few goodies from my 2009 BC trip with tons of classic Whistler shots as well as a few sweet lines from the Collective Films. Just another sick vacation of shredding on my Canfield Brothers Jedi... ENJOY!!!

Vin

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/icTpNZiKpx8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/icTpNZiKpx8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    You have some balls sir

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Interesting read & nice pics!

What is the thing w/skulls on it above the crank? Is it to keep the chain tensioned? I'm new to all this...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Absolutely sick man.

clyde in training
    really nice vid. could have used some music or something.

re-member
    Sep 2009
    nice job on the edit. Let's get more organized for next year and open things up a bit!

Glad you liked the BC goods. Anytime you bring the beer, I'll be guiding!

Ian

Glad to Be Alive
    love the vid

britany shaves her head sick with love
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Sick riding and video

Seeeriously easy Livin
    Sweet whips, your bike and your jumps

Commit or eat sh!t
    Nice riding

mtbr member
    May 2009
    LMAO!!! "FUK - YEAH - MOTHERFUKER!!!"

sick riding

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    nice bike, nice vacation, nice riding, very very nice wife...you are one lucky SOB

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bitewerks
    Interesting read & nice pics!

What is the thing w/skulls on it above the crank? Is it to keep the chain tensioned? I'm new to all this...
    The Jedi is an interesting bike, the rear wheel actually arcs back 2.5", most bikes arc in or maybe vertical if you are lucky. The 2 main benefits of this are; it adds transition to any landing, this helps the bike be butter smooth off of big hits. The second the 2nd benefit is the rear doesn't get caught up on square edge hits, so the bike will actually get faster through rock gardens.

The downside to all this is the effects that it has on pedal feedback, this is where the upper pulley comes in. It helps cancel out anything the rear end does, again helping the Jedi feel ultra smooth.

mtbr member
    Awesome! I'd give that two snaps in a circle!!!!

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    thanks for not putting music on there , i prefer it that way. nice video too
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Your video contained one of my dream bikes, awesome riding, AND a cute girl. Color me jealous.

Thanks for sharing!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Here's a couple of my wife KILLING it. Riding trails like B-Line and Crank it up gave her SO much confidence!!!

The last shot is of the sketchy rock drop from Roam. A typical nice and rainy day in Squamish.

should know better.....
    Nice stuff Vin!! Gettin' just better and better, on all fronts.
    Hey, you ever sell the old one?
    "Always Ride."

-Anthony S.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by neverwalk
    Nice stuff Vin!! Gettin' just better and better, on all fronts.
    Hey, you ever sell the old one?
    JJ... when the hell are we going to ride Homme???

Still have my 08 up for grabs... new bearings and hanger. The front looks new, the rear has a few rub marks..
    Last edited by KillingtonVT; 09-21-2009 at 03:44 PM.

If you think you can
    Great vid and read! Looks like it was an awesome trip!

should know better.....
    I'm not gonna get up North, let me know if you come down to see the Inlaws....
    I'm prolly gonna pull the trigger on a '10 Jedi this winter. Still Loving the 'Diggle. That bike is such an all around stud it's ridiculous. I ended up riding all my programs on it this summer. Should never be able to do that on an 8" travel bike.
    Anyway, Awesome vid. That F'in gap/double was HUGE!!! Is that like 40 feet?
    "Always Ride."

-Anthony S.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm not gonna get up North, let me know if you come down to see the Inlaws....
    I'm prolly gonna pull the trigger on a '10 Jedi this winter. Still Loving the 'Diggle. That bike is such an all around stud it's ridiculous. I ended up riding all my programs on it this summer. Should never be able to do that on an 8" travel bike.
    Anyway, Awesome vid. That F'in gap/double was HUGE!!! Is that like 40 feet?
    No it wasn't near that, but still super fun!!! The best part was the turn in the run out... pretty tough to rail at speed...

should know better.....
    No, that's not the one I meant, but I'm glad you just posted that photo, makes it look much bigger, or better shows the actual size, of that drop (which makes me slightly nauseous thinking what it would feel like to roll into....).
    I'm talking about the gap on the ski slope trail, just a huge high speed launch, not too fancy, but looked very long to me. It's at 1:09 on your video
    "Always Ride."

-Anthony S.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Just curious what your weight is and what the final settings are on your Elka?

mtbr member
    wow man. Awesome on all accounts. hot bike, hot riding and your wife is ahhh hem. A keeper!

7MGTE
    That was sick!!! Thanks for the awesome pics and vid

Can we get those settings on your Elka? I want to see if it is close to what I am running or if I am way off.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    No, that's not the one I meant, I'm talking about the gap on the ski slope trail, just a huge high speed launch, not too fancy, but looked very long to me. It's at 1:09 on your video
    Oh-yeah... Crab Apple Hits at Whistler. It's a line of mellow rolling style tables that you can just SEND. The first is like 10 feet and by the 4th and 5th you can go pretty big with an almost endless landing. My favorite jump line at Whistler for sure!!!
    Last edited by KillingtonVT; 09-21-2009 at 03:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Awesome riding, awesome bike, awesome video, awesome wife!

Thumbs up man!
    Swedish trail/AM/Enduro/DH-rider - Currently rides Spitfire V2 & Devinci Wilson SL. Spending the summer 2013 in Whistler, BC.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    very nice job!!
    :thumbsup:
    ride.

mtbr member
    Dam that is some awesome riding and gnarly looking drops!
    and the bike is sick to boot aswell!
    Nice!

I bike long tyme.
    Awesome riding!
    People wait for me on the way up. I wait for them on the way down.

******ed or Branded??
    Fn' awesome riding.
    .Hoog just texted me and said it's "Surface area to G2 tangential force vector ratio optimization. "

mtbr member
    looks like a great trip

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumba15
    You have some balls sir
    Giant. Brass. Balls.

AKA shitbird
    Nice vid man! I've been drooling for a jedi for some time now, sick bike for sure! Keep it up
    JRA

Extra Crispy
    Killington - You got that picture in something like 1680x1050 or bigger?
    Now with eggs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bacon11
    Killington - You got that picture in something like 1680x1050 or bigger?
    Which pic Homme???

Extra Crispy
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingtonVT
    Which pic Homme???
    The last one you posted... the side view of that gap/drop.
    Now with eggs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bacon11
    The last one you posted... the side view of that gap/drop.
    The Shandro Drop... pm me your email addy...

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    That video kicked complete ass. Ian showed you a good time
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Stage 5 settings

Quote Originally Posted by supramk388
    That was sick!!! Thanks for the awesome pics and vid

Can we get those settings on your Elka? I want to see if it is close to what I am running or if I am way off.

I weigh 150 lbs and just dropped down to a 300lb spring, (I ran a 350 all last year). The 300 definitely gives me a plusher feel through bumps, but I can blow through the travel a little easier.

Settings... keep in mind this works for me and EVERYONE is different depending on their riding style.

LSC - From full Clockwise or FULL IN, I am backed out 7 clicks
    HSC/Preload - From full Counter Clockwise or FULL OUT, I am turned in 8 clicks
    Rebound - This one I play with a bit…
    For general riding- From full Clockwise, or FULL IN, I am backed out 7 clicks, however, for doing SINGLE big hits, I slow it down to 5 clicks to help me land a bit safer, reducing the buck factor.

I hope that helps and thanks a ton for all the kind words!!! You guys rock!!!

Vin

all your base
    no music?
    i definately heard music, of the best variety. thanks for keeping it clean!!!

Roll on Spring Time!
    I guess my riding has just been classified as XC compared to that sweet stuff you doing. Dang I thought I was watching Roam.

Shaman
    Apr 2004
    Good to hear the review of the Elka. Is it really lightly dampened? I ask because a 300 seems like a heavy spring for your weight on a Jedi. Chris had me go down to a 350 on my DHX (I weigh 185) and although it bottoms on bigger drops it feels great on the trail.
    Skills coaching loved by passionate riders of all levels and trusted by the pros.
    www.betterride.net

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterRide
    Good to hear the review of the Elka. Is it really lightly dampened? I ask because a 300 seems like a heavy spring for your weight on a Jedi. Chris had me go down to a 350 on my DHX (I weigh 185) and although it bottoms on bigger drops it feels great on the trail.
    The boys recommended the 350 last year... I had one of the first Jedi's early on and this year BOTH Chris and Patrick recommended the 300. It was definitely the right call. I know Ropelato runs a 250 on his and he's about 140.

Good to hear from you Gene!!!

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Thanks for the stoke! Couldn't hit Whistler this year ... The video was like withdrawl-therapy.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

biking is fun
    man, very very sick.

i thought of selling my Jedi and getting a maelstrom but im so in love with this bike!!!!!

the Elka does feel amazing! ill post a pic of my new build soon i hope. just trying to find some cranks to finish it off. it only weighs 38.4 with full DH everything on it.

re-member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL
    That video kicked complete ass. Ian showed you a good time
    I shoulda known you would be around here somewhere.

Vin - you should edit the side still-shot of the Shandro drop into your vid to help with the perspective of how big tha huck really is

Still a child inside...
    Nice vid!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba
    the Elka does feel amazing! ill post a pic of my new build soon i hope. just trying to find some cranks to finish it off. it only weighs 38.4 with full DH everything on it.
    38.4... wow... mine is sitting at 43 with my stout build.

should know better.....
    38.4? Is that with or without the cranks.......
    Maybe I should sell my 'Diggle......
    "Always Ride."

-Anthony S.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have a large Jedi sitting in the mid to high 38's. They are pretty easy to build up light with stout parts.

7MGTE
    Settings... keep in mind this works for me and EVERYONE is different depending on their riding style.

LSC - From full Clockwise or FULL IN, I am backed out 7 clicks
    HSC/Preload - From full Counter Clockwise or FULL OUT, I am turned in 8 clicks
    Rebound - This one I play with a bit…
    For general riding- From full Clockwise, or FULL IN, I am backed out 7 clicks, however, for doing SINGLE big hits, I slow it down to 5 clicks to help me land a bit safer, reducing the buck factor.

I hope that helps and thanks a ton for all the kind words!!! You guys rock!!!

Vin
    Thanks for those settings I gave them a try yesterday and they worked great . I put rebound back to where I had it but your HSC and LSC settings worked nice for me.

Quote Originally Posted by godfather
    I have a large Jedi sitting in the mid to high 38's. They are pretty easy to build up light with stout parts.
    Yep, yep, I think I am at 37 lbs now but with new Canfield pedals I should be back to high 36s again I think bullcrew still has the lightest Jedi build.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    You have the light built prize supra. Bullcrew cheated on his. He pulled bolts and any other hardware he could to get the weight where it was. All for that pic of the bike on the scale at a weight that was not complete in the end.

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema
    You have the light built prize supra. Bullcrew cheated on his. He pulled bolts and any other hardware he could to get the weight where it was. All for that pic of the bike on the scale at a weight that was not complete in the end.
    Ah, I did not know that. I hit 36.90 when I had it built up at first but that was with a 2.4 3C Ardent on the rear (had a 3C 2.5 Minnion on the front). I did cheat some on the brakes but the Marta SLs have been rock solid for me. I am running performance Magura brake pads and upgraded my lines to 5MM SS Goodrich. I am using an 8 inch rotor up front and 7 in the rear and I am pretty light so they have plenty of power for me. My bike is little heavier due to 2.6 DH Ardent up front and 2.5 3C HighRoller on the rear now but have a little lighter spring.

If I can't hit mid 36s no worries at 37 she is light enough. I may upgrade brakes to Hope M4s later but I need to read up more on them before making the switch.

biking is fun
    just put the cranks on and have a ti spring i just won off ebay. It will be about 38 even. Now if i switched to the maxxis minion UST tires i would be 37.5..... or better yet some rubber queens and drop down to about 37 even . i think 38 is perfect for my riding. mainly FR.

I promise to post a pic when i get the TI spring because it will be finally finished.
    I also need to go back up and get a picture of this road gap that i finally hit. the fall colors are amazing right now.

now on topic
    THE ELKA ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! finally getting mine dialled in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    [QUOTE=THE ELKA ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! finally getting mine dialled in.[/QUOTE]

Ya boy, glad you are digging it... it def. feels good on the bike!!!

re-member
    Sep 2009
    the weight debate is humourous to me, maybe thats a Canadian thing.

When ya coming next year, bro?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    on the video by time 1.05 nice sound from chris king!!
    ride.

I could gap that.
    Jul 2008
    No it wasn't near that, but still super fun!!! The best part was the turn in the run out... pretty tough to rail at speed...
    I would hate to come up short on that... heh.
    Demo 8
    P1
    http://www.chainsmokeracing.net/
    Sponsors: Twenty6, ODI, Elka, Crank Bros, Sixsixone, Azonic, Specialized

mtbr member
    May 2009
    You deserve a "YAAA BUDDY!!!!!"

Commit or eat sh!t
    Patrick set up an Elka on a Cove Shocker for me at the Interbike Outdoor Demo. Definitely an awesome shock. So supple and great small bump compliance You guys should definitely put this shock on the list.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    my elka5 is in production!
    ride.

Now with More Wood
    Awesome video. Some of the stuff you hit is just huge (and gnarly to go with it - that big drop off the rock looked like it had almost no run in. Very well done!)

dirt visionary
    Ya boy, glad you are digging it... it def. feels good on the bike!!!

Awesome video and riding skills man ! I know this is old but I was wondering if your still on the jedi and if your still running the elka? How as it been over the last year? How many times you rebuild it ect . Just got one for my jedi and just seeing what to expect. Hope to ride it tomorrow.

Thx
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Clockwork
    Awesome video and riding skills man ! I know this is old but I was wondering if your still on the jedi and if your still running the elka? How as it been over the last year? How many times you rebuild it ect . Just got one for my jedi and just seeing what to expect. Hope to ride it tomorrow.
    Funny that you dug up this old thread. I'm out in BC right now, riding the $hit out of my Jedi and Elka. I have ridden Jedi's with just about every shock out there and prefer the feel of the Elka over everything else. It allows the bike to be super playful, yet plush when blasting through the gnar. I sent the Elka in over last winter for a service and it has been good ever since. It WILL develop the annoying Elka knock over time, but it's really only noticeable in the parking lot, not on the trail.

Enjoy the shock, it'll make your Jedi come alive.

Here's a quick preview of the good, the bad and the ugly from my 2010 trip so far. I'll do a full post with all the goodies, when I get home in October...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new Jedi, an Elka and 3 weeks in BC-aggy-line.jpg  

My new Jedi, an Elka and 3 weeks in BC-aggy-crash-2.jpg  

My new Jedi, an Elka and 3 weeks in BC-loops-stepdown-2.jpg  

My new Jedi, an Elka and 3 weeks in BC-tire.jpg  

My new Jedi, an Elka and 3 weeks in BC-aggy-line_zzz.jpg  

Last edited by KillingtonVT; 09-09-2010 at 10:11 PM.

dirt visionary
    Sick man thanks! Can't wait
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    wish i had the courage to hit stuff like that with my Jedi!

great stuff man!
    17' Canfield Jedi 27.5" - The fast just got faster!
    15' Canfield Balance - The go to guy of the bike world!

bikeboatbrewski
    We're not worthy!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Very impressive riding.

A reason why your Elka feels so good on your bike is that Patrick from Elka also rides a Jedi.
    I am not on a Jedi but I am using an Elka. It is a fantastic piece of equipment. My rear wheel tracks so well.
    Another good thing about Elka's is the customer support. They are great guys and very easy to talk with.

Eric

scars > tattoos
    excellent video. and your wife is awesome. "like britney spears shaved her head crazy..."

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rugbyred
    Very impressive riding.

A reason why your Elka feels so good on your bike is that Patrick from Elka also rides a Jedi.
    I am not on a Jedi but I am using an Elka. It is a fantastic piece of equipment. My rear wheel tracks so well.
    Another good thing about Elka's is the customer support. They are great guys and very easy to talk with.

Eric
    Ya, Patrick is a great guy and has offered me incredible service over the past year. Even if it's just set up recommendations...

mtbr member
    Awesome man. Im super envious, your wife, bike, and skills are def all keepers.
    "Some people think they can outsmart me... Maybe... I've yet to meet one that can outsmart BULLET."
    -Heavy

Roll on Spring Time!
    killington,

What you think about those spank rims? I have been on a set but havent put much milage on them. The first thing I found was a tire was not seated when pumped it up, never happened to me before. It happened again but I am sure it was seated before I went for a ride. I also landed heavy on some rocks trying to double a section and I dented one side of the rim. I just dont feel super confident about these rims and they are a nightmare for changing 2 ply tires. I have them on my Wildcard now where I can run more pressure and not worry about rocks too much. Looking at your pick makes me think blowing tires off is not that hard even though I am sure you hit your wheel harder than I probably will.

I am looking at a Jedi second hand with Elka. What spring do you recommend for 185lb rider. I prefer more freeride trails with loads of jumps and drops and just boosting off every feature. Have you found it better to run less sag for this or just adjust the low speed compression? Lasty, how do you think the Jedi will ride with a Totem over a Boxxer team? If I can strike a deal I need to decide on a fork. I am moving back to South Africa and hope to find more DH worthy trails over what I have here but I still hope there are loads of freeride lines even if I have to go digging. I know it will have alot more rocks and roots but I am more familiar with single crowns and prefer tight and technical over flat out open.
    I just want to ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by juan pablo
    killington,

What you think about those spank rims? I have been on a set but havent put much milage on them. The first thing I found was a tire was not seated when pumped it up, never happened to me before. It happened again but I am sure it was seated before I went for a ride. I also landed heavy on some rocks trying to double a section and I dented one side of the rim. I just dont feel super confident about these rims and they are a nightmare for changing 2 ply tires. I have them on my Wildcard now where I can run more pressure and not worry about rocks too much. Looking at your pick makes me think blowing tires off is not that hard even though I am sure you hit your wheel harder than I probably will.

I am looking at a Jedi second hand with Elka. What spring do you recommend for 185lb rider. I prefer more freeride trails with loads of jumps and drops and just boosting off every feature. Have you found it better to run less sag for this or just adjust the low speed compression? Lasty, how do you think the Jedi will ride with a Totem over a Boxxer team? If I can strike a deal I need to decide on a fork. I am moving back to South Africa and hope to find more DH worthy trails over what I have here but I still hope there are loads of freeride lines even if I have to go digging. I know it will have alot more rocks and roots but I am more familiar with single crowns and prefer tight and technical over flat out open.

The Spanks Subs are light and stiff as hell... the construction is pretty unique and changing tires aren't that bad. The downfall is they do dent SUPER easy. My blowout was from running off the Gondola at Whistler, trying not to hit my brakes. Lucky me, I found a rock that folded a 12" section of rim. Managed to stay on the bike though... WWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

You'll prob run a 350 spring with Low Speed about 6 clicks from all in. This will keep the bike poppy, yet plush as hell when you needed it.

As far as the Totem over a Boxxer... it's really just a matter of preference. I'm just a fan of the added stiffness from a dual crown.

Hope that all helps, get on the Jedi... as long as you ride aggressively, the confidence the bike gives you, will blow you away!!!

Commit or eat sh!t
    Awesome pictures! If I can only ride like that with my Jedi!

Good seeing you at Whistler!

Members who have read this thread: 0