My new Hadleys are in!....Need help..- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

My new Hadleys are in!....Need help..

What Mavic rim should I build my wheels with? I am a big fan of tubless but since its going on my DH/FR bike the selection is kind of turning me off. From what I can find there are not many tires over 2.5 that are tubless. The LBS said that michelin makes a 2.8 tubeless, Is this true? I like to earn my DH's so the lighter weight is a plus for climbing. Love to shuttle too and riding Bootleg with something larger than a 2.5 is something to look forward to.

Mike.
    If your gonna shoot, shoot. Don't talk.

Old No. 7
    Quote Originally Posted by T.K. Castle
    What Mavic rim should I build my wheels with? I am a big fan of tubless but since its going on my DH/FR bike the selection is kind of turning me off. From what I can find there are not many tires over 2.5 that are tubless. The LBS said that michelin makes a 2.8 tubeless, Is this true? I like to earn my DH's so the lighter weight is a plus for climbing. Love to shuttle too and riding Bootleg with something larger than a 2.5 is something to look forward to.

Mike.
    Hutchinson makes a wide ust tire, I had 2.5's but they were almost 2.7, great tires too.
    Another option for tubeless would be strips, I've been told the weight advantages can be the same or better with the Mavic ex729 w/ stans or maxis strips, and that way you can pick any tire you want, and run a tube if needed.
    06 888 RC2X FOR SALE! PM FOR DETAILS

...the mustache has spoken

Glad to Be Alive
    get a set of 823's

Michelin makes the 32A.T. in 2.8 and the 24AT in 2.5 also I have used the minion and highroller 2.5 non UST (they make a UST version too)

get the 823's just use stans in all the tires you use.......replace the stans goo every 3 to 5 months
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

SNOWRIDER
    823's if you want tubeless 729's if you don't

I am running 729's laced to my hadley golds with Michy 2.8 comp 32 fr and 2.5 comp 24 r (both tubeless) I plan to go ghetto but have tubes in them so far. The wheels are bombproof, and the tires have performed well in all conditions from sloppy wet mud to hard pack and late season dust ( no tire does well in that). seeing everything from rocks, roots, slick rock face, logs and manmade stunts. Ive got over a season on the tires and are very happy with them.
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    never thought i would say this but i gotta agree w/ SMT. get 823's

-> SickLines.com <-
    All michelin DH tires are UST i believe as well. I wouldnt' go with 823's if you weren't going to run tubeless. I'd go with 729's or 721's for lighter duty

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    All michelin DH tires are UST i believe as well. ty
    true......................
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

All Mt, DH
    Quote Originally Posted by T.K. Castle

Mike.
    Rims
    I run Ex823 Mavic with in Tubeless arrangement... It works really well, been running tubeless for well over 3 years... very little problems.

Stans Fluid
    Replace every 3-6 months depending on the climate... it works real well.

Tires
    I have run the Michelin 2.8 for a while. Its the only Michelin tire I liked, it very big, has good tread pattern and holds air really well. I had 2 of these,1 tubeless, 1 regular... the tubeless version ran more true (less wobble)... The compound is soft (but not as soft as Maxxis 42A ST). Weight is about 1450-1500g I think... heavy, but its a huge 2.8!
    Now I run Maxxis Minion F & R 2.5 42A Super Tacky in both the DH and Tubeless versions. To be honest there isnt much difference in weight, but the tubeless version holds air better. Over here in Hong Kong Maxxis tires are popular as the perform well and are not huge $$$...

Hubs
    Hadleys rule, I have them on all 3 of my main bikes...

Good Luck
    2007 Blur 4x
    2009 Driver 8

Members who have read this thread: 0