My new freeride/DH rig -- Session 88 FR- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

My new freeride/DH rig -- Session 88 FR

Havent had a chance to shred this thing yet, going to be racing at Eureka Springs Fat Tire Festival Downhill race in Arkansas, then heading to Whistler BC in August for a 2 week trip. Pretty excited.

Nothing to fancy, just a full Saint group and Totem Coil on my Session 88.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    sick bike.

got a zenki as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Federline
    sick bike.

got a zenki as well.
    Thanks man. Mines a Kouki now actually.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    got the german front end on mine, but always envious of koukis!

mtbr member
    "Nothing to fancy, just a full Saint group and Totem Coil on my Session 88."
    if you don't call that fancy, what do you call fancy?!?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    what a piece! you should just go a head and get rid of it now...i guess i could be kind enough to take it off your hands. someone has to do the right thing!

love,
    Nik

mtbr member
    May 2006
    looks flexy. Try moving you shifter and brakes in a bit, it will let you use the full grip more comfortably.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The bike is actually very stiff (frame) the suspension is super plush and feels great on descents.

I am messing with controls still, and plan on moving the brakes in quite a bit also. Today was my first ride on it, and I did notice that.

Stay thirsty my friends
    Very nice, I have a 2009 Dh model and the first thing I did was flip the stem which was way more comfortable. I would recommend tossing it since it weighs a ton and is so bulky.

Have fun!
    "Say good night to the bad guy."
    Tony Montana
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x_TE...eature=related

EastBaySteez
    Thanks the the close up picture of the shock hardware.

Now here's a picture of my rock hard nipple.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    You got a hairy hobbit foot...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    from somebody who has *almost* (I threw a 40rc2 on mine, a direct mount stem, and some different bars, pedals, and tires) that same bike, and who's riding/shop buddy has the same bike (different bars, tires), here are a couple things to do:

Get the stem as low as possible. flip it, and put the spacers on top. It'll ride better, promise. Ditch the pedals - they're super bulky and heavy. Get some thin ones, like wah wahs or dietys if you're on a budget, or some nicer ones like podiums or crampons if you're not.

Pull your guide rollers off and loctite the bolts - mine came off within a few days because I assumed they would have done that before. MRP was nice enough to replace them FOC, but preventative maint is the best maint. My buddys started coming off yesterday (3rd ride on it).

In the spirit of "preventive maint being the best maint," I've heard of troubles with downtubes denting under hard rock strikes. Rather then test it and experience it first hand (and potentially destroy any resale value), I got about a foot and a half-2 feet of a thick plastic/rubber plumbing hose, cut a slit in it, and zip tied it around my downtube. So far, some hard rock kickups and no dents.

Ditch the stock tires. There are millions of better tires - the stock tires pinch flat easily, and have terrible grip in just about every condition imaginable, from wet/muddy to hardpack to dry over hardpack. I'm running a specialized clutch in the front, and a highroller in the rear, and my buddy picked up a set of ardents on jenson for 20 bucks a pop that he likes alot.

Cut your seatpost. Stock seatpost is too high to get your weight over the back end. You don't need it slammed, but you're much more likely to get cought between the seat and tire on bottom out with so much room there, and not being able to get back over the seat when you need to.

Also, flip flop the brake and shifter, and run your shifter on the outside and your brake on the inside. I also recommend using the more outboard of the two settings on the shifter.

Both of us had trouble with the rear brake resonating with the frame, and causing the entire frame to howl really loud. This is pretty widespread with saint brakes/session rear ends. Saint brakes don't do it with other frames/bikes, and other brakes don't do it with the sessions. At any rate, the easy fix is to get a set of resin pads, and run one resin and one metallic. you'll get good braking feel that way, and now howl.

Also, the rims are pretty light - I didn't realize that it was a lightweight wheelset till I blew up a rim on a rock at about 35, and got the joy of rebuilding it, but the rims are pretty light at 530g and they dent easy with a soft metal/wide profile. I just destroyed my second one casing a 5-6 foot stepdown drop with a rock backing for the landing. Both hard hits that don't surprise me that it dented, but at the same time I never destroyed any other rims. At any rate, run reasonable pressure and you should be ok. Just be prepared to replace rims if you ride hard and like monster trucking through everything you see (which this bike does phenomanally well, so its hard not to).

Those are all the little tweaks and problems I had to sort with mine, but other then that, its by far the best bike I've ever ridden, I've never ridden something that feels so balanced, that can mash through all the rough stuff like it aint no thang, and then still jump and pop ridiculously well. Its also absurdly light and easy to throw around. In short, youre gonna absolutely love it.

maker of trail
    ^^ must admit I'm curious what you think of the session coming from your lucky!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by essenmeinstuff
    ^^ must admit I'm curious what you think of the session coming from your lucky!
    no regrets! The lucky was super long and stable, but it didn't corner very well because it was so long, I just couldn't stuff it into corners well - I always felt like I was balancing on top of it through corners, and never mashing/pumping. It also just never mashed over terrain as well, I had friends on smaller bikes who would lose me straight lining the same rock section where neither of us would touch our brakes, and I would pedal (it was even worse when I didn't). I spent too much time trying to make it work with different shocks (ccdb, elka, evolver isx6, and a roco tst) and it just never really felt that good mashing through stuff.

The session mashes over things fantastically out of the box (and also takes high speed mashing much better then the lucky ever did) , cornered oodles better, tracks better, and pops on jumps a hell of alot better. It also just feels more balanced, the geometry just feels...right. I never feel like I'm gonna lose it because its too steep, and it never feels sluggish. Also, while I'm no weight weenie (I have one of the lightest frames on the market and its still built around 40 lbs), it definitely is easier to throw around (partially because it has like a 4 inch shorter wheelbase and partially because the wheels are way lighter)

I never disliked the lucky, I still think its a very very good bike, it just never performed as well as I would have liked, and it didn't fit my riding style well enough. I went from skimming over the tops of jumps and not being able to move the bike around to actually popping and getting air and whipping with no extra effort.

Anyway, to the OP: you're gonna fuggin love it, regardless of whether you listen to me, lets see some action shots!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Man, thank you so much for the heads up! I'm already on top of some of that actually! I have a Thomson DH stem I will be throwing on it very soon, as well as a set of much lighter Holzfeller butted-AL bars.

Pedals are gonna be replaced with Premium Slims. Love those pedals. have some on my DJ bike.

The tube or hose on the bottom side is a GREAT idea, I will most definately be doing that before I head to Whistler.

I wanted to cut down the seat tube, but was worried about doing it because of resale value. Might do it anyway.

I am flipping the controls, and moving the brake levers in this week when I get the chance!

I wish I had listened to you, and RE-locktighted the MRP rollers. I lost one on the trail yesterday Gotta buy a new one this week.

I am actually very happy that you posted, as your review posted on here was one of the reasons that I purchased it!

Im not sure how much I'll lower the bars, as I have a rather long torso, and typicall like a higher rise bike (like on my other 3 bikes).

The tires I wasnt sure about, I was thinking about getting a 2.7 something for the front at least, as I am heading to Whistler in a month or so.

This is my first big squishy bike, so I'd actually love some advice on suspension setup. I dont know much about setting up the Totem too much, I got the DHX5 setup fairly well. And the Totem felt fine, but I honestly dont understand adjusting the Gate, and everything like that.

Any more advice or tips you got for this bike, Im all ears man! Thanks a bunch!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    about the rollers: give mrp a call first - super cool guys, they'll probably take care of you and send it out free. They set me up within 15 minutes in the middle of a busy day at sea otter, very helpful and friendly.

cut down the seatpost. I promise that wont lower resale value. using a bike and beating it up lowers resale value, but something like a slightly cut seatpost wont be a problem. I am 6'1" on a medium, and I cut about 4-5 inches of the post. Can still raise it enough for pedaling on fireroads, and get it low enough for the steeps and jumps.

No real big help on the totem, as I pulled it off my bike unused and sold it, and put a 40rc2 on. I recommend leaving the floodgate off, running as low HSC as you can (if you start bottoming out, add more), and add LSC if you feel like the front end is wallowing. Start in the middle for rebound and see how that feels. If it feels like its packing up, speed it up, if it feels like its jittering or bucking, slow it down.

For the shock I think I am running about 160-170 in the boost, about 5 clicks of propedal, 5 clicks from slowest rebound, and I dropped the B.O. to 1 - although I might end up bringing that back up now that I'm in summer riding mode and riding resorts/bigger jumps/gnarlier stuff.

Can't really tell the difference between this "custom tuned" DHX5 and a regular DHX5, but at the moment I'm pretty ok with how it feels, and don't really feel any need for custom tuning. works pretty well with the frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Perfect man! Thanks again for all the heads up on it. Your review/ownership was one of the reasons I purchased it!

Yea, I'm 5'10" on a Small, and will probably take a few inches off the seatpost

Meh.
    Cutting the seattube will destroy the resale value. Cutting the seatpost will not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bxxer rider
    "Nothing to fancy, just a full Saint group and Totem Coil on my Session 88."
    if you don't call that fancy, what do you call fancy?!?!?!
    x2, that bike is awesome

In Armor We Trust
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenkiS14
    I wanted to cut down the seat tube, but was worried about doing it because of resale value. Might do it anyway.
    You just bought a brand new bike and you're worried about resale value? LOL. Do whatever you want to make it work best for you. As long as you maintain it, you can worry about resale value later.
    DH: Pivot Phoenix
    AM: Pivot Mach 6
    FG: KHS Flite 100

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    haha, and actually, what I meant to post was cut down the seat post.

IDK why I put seat tube, I'd never chop down the seat tube lol

In Armor We Trust
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenkiS14
    haha, and actually, what I meant to post was cut down the seat post.

IDK why I put seat tube, I'd never chop down the seat tube lol
    We all knew what you meant. Still, that's such a silly thing to avoid doing b/c of resale value of an easily replaceable seatpost.
    DH: Pivot Phoenix
    AM: Pivot Mach 6
    FG: KHS Flite 100

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Now for sale! BUY IT!

mtbr member
    what happened? you get a new bike?
    JB

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I would have offered you 5k but since you cut the seatpost, how about 500 bucks?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick619
    what happened? you get a new bike?
    Nope, I just have too many bikes. I currently have 6, and this is the least useful of the bunch considering the area I live in.

I mostly bought the bike so that I could do a few local-midwest DH races (I only ended up doing one), and then ride it on my 10 day trip to Whistler. So now that I am home from the trip, I just cant afford to keep it around for when I travel out of town only. I'll get another Session someday, for sure, this bike is amazing, but I'll get it when I have a bit more expendable income and I can afford to have a stable of bikes that just sit around most of the year.

So, as of now, this bike only has 7 days of real riding on it, it comes with a brand new warranty replaced rear wheel, never even been mounted yet, and a near brand new maxxis minion super tacky on the rear.

Check it out.
    http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...ct=54396&cat=3

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    **NEW PICS OF BIKE TAKEN ON 9/24 TO SHOW CURRENT EXACT CONDITION**

This is an almost brand new Trek Session 88 Freeride size Small(16.25" actual). I am 5'11" and it rides extremely comfortably in this size. Everything from technical downhill, to jump lines, it feels absolutely fantastic, and it totally sucks that I cant afford to keep it.

This bike was purchased brand new in late June of 2010. It was only ridden a couple days on midwest XC trails, and then was ridden for 6 days out in Whistler BC. So yes, the bike literally only has a few days of riding on it, and everything works flawless. The back wheel (Bontrager Big Earl 150mm) is brand new and has not even been ridden at all. The rear tire (Maxxis Minion Super Tacky) only has 2 days of riding on it, and is in near new condition.

This bike retailed for $6049 brand new.

This bike is just simply amazing. It jumps like a dream, it pedals great, suspension feels fantastic, I am overly happy with it, but after my Whistler trip I just dont have a use for it back home. The bike is in great condition, and has been maintained well, I am very meticulous with my bikes.

Asking 2550 or best offer. Will ship in any lower 48 at buyers expense, or whatever we work out.

Here are the specs:

Frameset
    Size: 15.5/16.25 actual
    Frame: Alpha Red Aluminum w/ABP, Full Floater, alloy EVO Link, E2 head tube, oversized bearings, 203mm travel
    Front Suspension: RockShox Totem Coil w/E2 alloy steerer, rebound, high/low speed compression, Mission Control, 180mm
    Rear Suspension: Fox DHX 5 Coil, custom “gravity tuned” w/external rebound, 15-click Pro Pedal, boost valve; 8.752.75″

Wheels: Bontrager Big Earl wheel system, 20mm front, 12mm rear w/150mm spacing ( BRAND NEW REAR, NEVER RIDDEN)
    Tires: FRONT: Bontrager Big Earl w/Stability Control Casing, 26x2.5″; 60 tpi, REAR: Maxxis Minion Super Tacky 26x2.5"

Shifters: Shimano “New” Saint, Rapidfire Plus
    Front Derailleur: MRP System 3 Chainguide w/Party Crasher bash guard
    Rear Derailleur :Shimano “New” Saint “Shadow” SS
    Crank Shimano :“New” Saint, 83mm bottom bracket, 36T
    Cassette: SRAM PG970 11-32, 9 speed
    Pedals: Bontrager Big Earl platform

Saddle: Bontrager Big Earl
    Seat Post: Bontrager Big Earl
    Handlebars: Bontrager Earl, 50mm rise, 31.8mm
    Stem Bontrager: Big Earl 10 degree, 31.8mm
    Headset: Custom Cane Creek E2; 1 1/8″ top, 1.5″ bottom
    Brakeset: Shimano “New”Saint w/Servo Wave; 203mm front rotor, 180mm rear rotor

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have a new session 8 and my wheelset is garbage. What you recconend
    2011 transition 250
    2009 DB scapegoat

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Warranty it through Trek lol

Other than that, possibly a Transition Revolution set if you are on budget, otherwise build custom!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    can you mount a hammerschmidt on the 88 fr?

Members who have read this thread: 0