My freakin awesome fork idea that all fork companies should use and pay me for.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

My freakin awesome fork idea that all fork companies should use and pay me for.

I've been thinking. Yes. I'm a big fan of VP-Free's, the look, the idea behind them, etc. (I have no experience with them personally). Searching around here, I've seen some really sweet vp-free setups, including some folks who use theirs as pretty light all mountian bikes. i.e. Slayer77's setup 33 lbs for a 215mm travel bike?? Wow. So here's my idea. There are plenty of single crown forks that are adjustable travel up to 150mm, but there should be some that have adjustable travel from 130 or 150mm to 170 or 200mm. With the new Travis 8" single crown fork coming out, I don't think this is too far off. I know the Boxxer Ride is this kind of thing in a dual crown fork. Cause then, you could climb up some crazy ass hill with 150mm up front, then drop off some crazy ass drop with the 200mm setting. Also, with a bike like (for example) the Banshee Scream with 6-8" of travel adjustability, this could be beneficial. Yea? No? I'm I an idiot? Will someone make one for me so I can buy a VP-Free?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by twouareks
    I've been thinking. Yes. I'm a big fan of VP-Free's, the look, the idea behind them, etc. (I have no experience with them personally). Searching around here, I've seen some really sweet vp-free setups, including some folks who use theirs as pretty light all mountian bikes. i.e. Slayer77's setup 33 lbs for a 215mm travel bike?? Wow. So here's my idea. There are plenty of single crown forks that are adjustable travel up to 150mm, but there should be some that have adjustable travel from 130 or 150mm to 170 or 200mm. With the new Travis 8" single crown fork coming out, I don't think this is too far off. I know the Boxxer Ride is this kind of thing in a dual crown fork. Cause then, you could climb up some crazy ass hill with 150mm up front, then drop off some crazy ass drop with the 200mm setting. Also, with a bike like (for example) the Banshee Scream with 6-8" of travel adjustability, this could be beneficial. Yea? No? I'm I an idiot? Will someone make one for me so I can buy a VP-Free?

I.E. the Manitou Sherman Breakout Plus that adjusts from 130 - 170?

www.Go-Ride.com
    866-467-4334

bpuodt
    Quote Originally Posted by James @ Go-Ride
    I.E. the Manitou Sherman Breakout Plus that adjusts from 130 - 170?
    That isn't a travel "adjust", it's a lockdown device. Lockdowns suck ass and make the fork ride like total dog poo on anything other than smooth fire roads. Even locked down, the fork deflects off everything and doesn't hold traction.

Rockshox Uturn keeps the fork plush when lowered and maintains a similar sag/preload percentage. Boxxer ride is the only fork I know of with 135-180mm of travel adjust, but only problem is that the damping sucks and the fork isn't burly enough for severe abuse.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Robot Chicken
    Lockdowns suck ass and make the fork ride like total dog poo on anything other than smooth fire roads. Even locked down, the fork deflects off everything and doesn't hold traction.

I think you're thinking of the old ECC on Marzocchi stuff and the Fox lockout. Newer Manitous and Marzocchi travel adjusts are quite a bit more effective than a lockout, and they still work over small bumps. Manitous with SPV will be prone to deflection when they're in reduced travel as there's a bunch of preload on the spring and they have platform damping. In this mode, the fork is designed to get out of the way for pedaling efficiency, not for high-performance bump devouring. That's why you can put them back at full travel when you get to the top of the hill.

www.Go-Ride.com
    866-467-4334

MTBR Mafia
    just an fyi, i dont think your the first to think of this and frankly i dont find it to be freakin awesome either. i mean any mtbiker could think of that. what do most people want in a fork? more travel and travel adjust. its simple. but ya i think forks will come out like that
    All Mountain was so 2005

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by James @ Go-Ride
    I think you're thinking of the old ECC on Marzocchi stuff and the Fox lockout. Newer Manitous and Marzocchi travel adjusts are quite a bit more effective than a lockout, and they still work over small bumps. Manitous with SPV will be prone to deflection when they're in reduced travel as there's a bunch of preload on the spring and they have platform damping. In this mode, the fork is designed to get out of the way for pedaling efficiency, not for high-performance bump devouring. That's why you can put them back at full travel when you get to the top of the hill.
    my firefly ( which I got from go-ride) is as stiff as a rock in the lower travel setting. I use it more as a lockout for climbing. but I do have the extra firm springs in it.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cdub
    just an fyi, i dont think your the first to think of this and frankly i dont find it to be freakin awesome either. i mean any mtbiker could think of that. what do most people want in a fork? more travel and travel adjust. its simple. but ya i think forks will come out like that

perhaps you are correct that i am not the first to think of this idea, but i do happen to think it's freakin' awesome. also, if there are so many people who have this idea and desire this from a fork, why hasn't it been invented yet? when you invent it, then you can ridicule my awesome idea, until you have the patent, it's mine (and still freakin' awesome)!!!!! muahahaha.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    how about a 40lbs bike with a motor, a cup holder for my beer, and an ashtray so I don't have to toss my butts into the forest...

Eyes of the world
    Quote Originally Posted by manwithgun
    how about a 40lbs bike with a motor, a cup holder for my beer, and an ashtray so I don't have to toss my butts into the forest...
    Only a cup holder? WHat a ***** you at least need to have a mini fridge to keep some cool spares on tap.
    Find 'em hot leave 'em wet

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Robot Chicken
    Rockshox Uturn keeps the fork plush when lowered and maintains a similar sag/preload percentage. Boxxer ride is the only fork I know of with 135-180mm of travel adjust, but only problem is that the damping sucks and the fork isn't burly enough for severe abuse.
    I would really like to see how many of the people who call Boxxers weak can actually break one. Frankly, if you can't ride a Boxxer Ride because its not stiff enough, your going to hate any single crown with that kind of adjustment. It just won't be very strong.

Correct me if im wrong (Im definetly not positive) but I believe the U-Turn system changes the spring rate, so its plushest at the max travel and hardest at its minimum travel. This is, in effect, a similar lockout system to the one used in the Sherman Breakout. When this fork you want to create is set in 203MM travel mode, the plushness will be a *****, since at such a high amount of travel your pretty much wasting 3-4 inches of travel because the spring is so soft. Get it? Probably doesn't make sense, im not great on clarity. But hey, I know what im talking about, thats all that matters.

MTBR Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by manwithgun
    I don't smoke...
    All Mountain was so 2005

Still on Training Wheels!
    This is, in effect, a similar lockout system
    Yes and no. The spring rate does increase when winding down the travel, however, my RS Pike is still very plush in the lowest setting(95mm) and I have a FIRM spring in it now.

If RS came out with a 170-130mm travel adjust boxxer with Motion Control Dampening, I would score one of those quick. I usualy drop my travel on my Pike to 120mm for all mountain use, but with the little extra weight of a double crown up front I think 130mm would work fine.
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

bpuodt
    Quote Originally Posted by drum714
    Yes and no. The spring rate does increase when winding down the travel, however, my RS Pike is still very plush in the lowest setting(95mm) and I have a FIRM spring in it now.

If RS came out with a 170-130mm travel adjust boxxer with Motion Control Dampening, I would score one of those quick. I usualy drop my travel on my Pike to 120mm for all mountain use, but with the little extra weight of a double crown up front I think 130mm would work fine.
    Word.

Uturn only increases spring rate by 30% at full low. On the other hand, if the spring rate remained the same as you lowered the fork it would bottom out too easily. The Pike's spring rate is exactly where any 95mm fork would be in 95mm mode. A longer travel fork will naturally have less spring rate due to more usable travel. Pike still feels plush as all hell in 95mm.

A Boxxer with 130-180mm would be sweet with Motion Control. I'm sure Boxxers are decently strong, but they can't take impacts to the lowers without denting or puncturing. They are race forks, not super bashers like Zokes. It has nothing to do with stiffness either. Single crowns are getting so stiff these days, it's pointless to even use DC forks anymore.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    ----------------
    Last edited by Mntl; 06-29-2005 at 08:27 AM.

mtbr member
    This one of those threads that shows why it is a good idea to take a second to think about what you are about to post and try to imagine how stupid it is. I do that alot where I will get half way through writing a post and then I'll just think, wait a minute, this sounds like pure retardedness. Then I just delete it and go back to browsing.

Knolly Bikes for life!!!
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by twouareks
    perhaps you are correct that i am not the first to think of this idea, but i do happen to think it's freakin' awesome. also, if there are so many people who have this idea and desire this from a fork, why hasn't it been invented yet? when you invent it, then you can ridicule my awesome idea, until you have the patent, it's mine (and still freakin' awesome)!!!!! muahahaha.
    i JUST BOUGHT THE PATENT.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RobsterCraw
    This one of those threads that shows why it is a good idea to take a second to think about what you are about to post and try to imagine how stupid it is. I do that alot where I will get half way through writing a post and then I'll just think, wait a minute, this sounds like pure retardedness. Then I just delete it and go back to browsing.

Do you mean the first post? Or the rest of it all? Cause if it's the first I'd be curious why...

mtbr member
    Its not that its a bad idea. Its just that this is a common idea that many fork manufacturers are trying to work with. Adjustable travel is pretty common now, from marzocchi to fox, to manitou. The long range of travel adjustment is not that easy though. Maybe with future development they will get the kind of range you are talking about. When I first read your post I was thinking, "this is why you can't just patent an idea, you need to demonstrate a way to make it work." Its like that scene from "dumb and dumber" where jim carrie yells out in surprise, "We've landed on the moon!" a day late and a dollar short. At least you made me laugh

mtbr member
    Make a bike with a spoiler and some nitrous so all the kids wanna do it.

New project, TBA shortly
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestix
    Make a bike with a spoiler and some nitrous so all the kids wanna do it.
    NOS!!! We could put it on a bike called the Type R.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RobsterCraw
    Its not that its a bad idea. Its just that this is a common idea that many fork manufacturers are trying to work with. Adjustable travel is pretty common now, from marzocchi to fox, to manitou. The long range of travel adjustment is not that easy though. Maybe with future development they will get the kind of range you are talking about. When I first read your post I was thinking, "this is why you can't just patent an idea, you need to demonstrate a way to make it work." Its like that scene from "dumb and dumber" where jim carrie yells out in surprise, "We've landed on the moon!" a day late and a dollar short. At least you made me laugh
    LOL, good point. It's not like they weren't gonna do it anyway....

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    first of all if you really did have a good idea now everyone would know about it and most likely make it first but i don like the idea because frankly i also believe that the way the fork performs is greatly reduced i love downhill forks the way they are and someone has deffinately tried that before and done some research on it thats probably why it's not available to us right now is because the idea is good but it wouldn't perform right.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    i think the easiest way to do sucha thing is with (GASP!!!) an air fork! (GASP!!!) i dont particularly like air forks, but i have ridden a few than felt pretty good. and with an adjustable positive air, negative air vlave, you could probably figure out a way to lock the fork where ever you wanted through its travel, and with air in a smaller travel setting, it will just ramp up quicker. plus, it would save weight, which would kinda make sense considering you are trying to make it climbable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The 2006 Boxxer Ride will have 133-178mm U-turn FWIW. I'm not a huge RS fan but this fork is looking nice.

HERE

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by punkassean
    The 2006 Boxxer Ride will have 133-178mm U-turn FWIW. I'm not a huge RS fan but this fork is looking nice.

HERE
    I have pike at the thing freaking rules. So this makes me really want a U-turn fork with more travel and good damping, and I guess that is on the way next year.

Prediction: 06 Boxxer Ride with MCD and Maxel will be one of the best forks of 06.

I want 5-8" but 5-7" is good too.

I like bikes

travel adjust is overrated

I have both a Psylo and 36, both with excellent travel adjust, but after the first month and the novelty wore off, I rarely touch the travel adjust.

I also ride my Demo 9 up lots of hills and have no issue. Just learn to ride uphill with a long fork and you'll be set.
    Stop being so pissed and save your energy for the ride

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Never fear, rumor has it that Marzocchi is adding a travel adjust to their 66 lineup. I would guess adjustable travel from 170mm to maybe 130mm.

Bum Buzzer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio_Huck
    i think the easiest way to do sucha thing is with (GASP!!!) an air fork! (GASP!!!) i dont particularly like air forks, but i have ridden a few than felt pretty good. and with an adjustable positive air, negative air vlave, you could probably figure out a way to lock the fork where ever you wanted through its travel, and with air in a smaller travel setting, it will just ramp up quicker. plus, it would save weight, which would kinda make sense considering you are trying to make it climbable.
    Can anyone say 'Manitou Nixon'? weeeeee....

Yes, SC forks with adjustable travle are the future, DC is going away!!

Members who have read this thread: 0