my first drop to tranny..and its soo much better- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

my first drop to tranny..and its soo much better

last weekend, i went for a ride with few of my mates and we found this hidden section next to a downhill track and it was coverd with north shore stunts and stuff..i am not too keen on doing drops..i m more of a downhill perosn...anyway..we saw this drop and i didnt really want to do it becasue i have never done a drop to a tranny...i wasnt feeling that confident and after being peer pressured i did it and it fetl GREAT. it felt soooo smooth and was waaaayyyy better than droping to flat..now i will never drop to flat and that drop that i just did was a great confidence booster!!!

take a look..its not as big as wat u guys do..but a good start though..now i m looking foward to going to whislter
    Attached Images Attached Images

BJ-

Jan 2004
    dude where abouts is that...

its some nice bush...

mtbr member

mm its in oxford falls...in syd

Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    dude where abouts is that...

its some nice bush...

yeah its in oxford falls...the dh trail..
    where abouts do u llive

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnerDHRider
    last weekend, i went for a ride with few of my mates and we found this hidden section next to a downhill track and it was coverd with north shore stunts and stuff..i am not too keen on doing drops..i m more of a downhill perosn...anyway..we saw this drop and i didnt really want to do it becasue i have never done a drop to a tranny...i wasnt feeling that confident and after being peer pressured i did it and it fetl GREAT. it felt soooo smooth and was waaaayyyy better than droping to flat..now i will never drop to flat and that drop that i just did was a great confidence booster!!!

take a look..its not as big as wat u guys do..but a good start though..now i m looking foward to going to whislter
    thats cool, but it strikes me as weird taht you have such a pimped out dhr, and you havent even done a drop. and your going to whistler?!? plenty of drops there my freind so i would get used to it.
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

mtbr member
    nice pic, dude. looks like fun.

mtbr member

Great pic!

i am not too keen on doing drops..i m more of a downhill perosn...anyway..we saw this drop and i didnt really want to do it becasue i have never done a drop to a tranny...i wasnt feeling that confident and after being peer pressured i did it and it fetl GREAT. it felt soooo smooth and was waaaayyyy better than droping to flat..now i will never drop to flat and that drop that i just did was a great confidence booster!!!

I hear you on the drops versus downhill and I was hesitant on my first real drop too. Now since I've discovered drops to tranny and mild flat, it ain't a big deal anymore. Also makes me more confident on the downhill. It's all about the ride!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That last pic - Northstar? Funny, almost all the drops there are to flat, not tranny.

Yeah there's no question drops to tranny are way easier. There's much less of a smack when you land and you're less likely to crash because momentum keeps you going and upright. Takes a few to build confidence, but just keep it straight, don't endo, and you'll be fine.

Edit: Be sure to hit the drop park at Whistler, four drops to tranny in a row, each a little taller than the rest but all landing on the same tranny, great way to build confidence for some of the bigger drops on the mountain.
    Last edited by OGRipper; 08-04-2004 at 12:15 PM. Reason: forgot to mention...

mtbr member

Yup... Northstar...

[QUOTE=OGRipper]That last pic - Northstar? Funny, almost all the drops there are to flat, not tranny.

Agreed most are pretty much to flat with some real mild tranny to it (sucks). Carlmont or LimeRidge has some good tranny drops.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    ummmm yes, drops to tranny - make that tranny steep while you're at it...
    Last edited by macrider; 08-04-2004 at 12:56 PM.

JFR
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Vert
    Agreed most are pretty much to flat with some real mild tranny to it (sucks). Carlmont or LimeRidge has some good tranny drops.
    Have you seen this one yet? I think it's new. The tranny is off-camber (not in line with the ramp). Depending on the direction and speed you come off the ramp, the drop amount can vary.

As with the original poster, I'm also new to doing drops to a tranny. I was really digging this one and finding it surprisingly easy.

JFR
    mtbr member
    That drop looks bigger and flatter from this angle :-)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JFR
    Have you seen this one yet? I think it's new. The tranny is off-camber (not in line with the ramp). Depending on the direction and speed you come off the ramp, the drop amount can vary.

As with the original poster, I'm also new to doing drops to a tranny. I was really digging this one and finding it surprisingly easy.
    That's at northstar? if so what trail is it on?

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    thats cool, but it strikes me as weird taht you have such a pimped out dhr, and you havent even done a drop. .
    huh? the DHR is a race bike....

...and not everyone likes drops anyways

I wanna talk to Samson!
    huh? the DHR is a race bike....

...and not everyone likes drops anyways
    yeah I know that, but most races have drops incorporated in them and such.(maybe thatís not such a valid point, but whateva). its just that most people who have dropped that much coin on a bike would have had some experience with drops to tranny and such. You know? I donít have any problems with it or anything, just kinda struck me as weird.

oh yeah dhr is plenty capable of drops. just cause its a race bike doesn't mean it cant be dropped 5 feet

cool drop by the way
    Last edited by konabiker; 08-04-2004 at 07:54 PM.
    JackNugz

no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    oh yeah dhr is plenty capable of drops. just cause its a race bike doesn't mean it cant be dropped 5 feet
    never said it wasent, but its not a bike people buy to do drops, which is why i thought the comment was strange. Didnt realize bike cost and dropping were analogous either...

Feb 2004

sweet !

that drop too the right handed tranny looks SICK ! that has soem huge potential to be busted of in a large manner and hipped out hardcore... looks like alot of fun. Might make a suggestion to the trail builders where I ride to put together somethign liek this. Makes a change for the normal drops to tranny...

Jul 2004
    Looks fun,about how high is that?

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianHooligan
    Looks fun,about how high is that?
    NOOOOOOOOOOO ! ! ! dont ask that question, oh well... there went this thread.....

Jul 2004
    O ya..sorry..lol.O well.

JFR
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matt
    That's at northstar? if so what trail is it on?
    Yep, Northstar. I think it's only a couple weeks old; at the bottom of Pho Dog. It's optional; the trail continues down along the yellow ribbon if you don't do the drop.

mtbr member

Dude!

Nice drop to hip! They were building it the Saturday we were there.

mtbr member

Yup...

That drop looks bigger and flatter from this angle :-)
    ...first landing was kinda harsh. But it was fun!

where's the kick stand?
    Mar 2004

thats a cool drop.what were the other stunts like?
    live to ride, ride to live

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

BJ-

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerdhrider
    yeah its in oxford falls...the dh trail..
    where abouts do u llive
    BJ now lives in VIC...but i used to live in the Blue MTNs...and im not familiar with oxford falls care to enlighten me a lil bit...i moved away like 4-5 years ago...

and nice work on stepping up to tranny drops...

Members who have read this thread: 0