My Experiment- Mtbr.com

Thread: My Experiment

MDJ
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

My Experiment

You may recall my first post a week ago asking about bottom bracket heights on DH bikes. Well, my partly an experiment. It's really good to see such an active forum on DH/Freeride. Forums like this can be helpful. The problem with these forums is that there are people responding that have a wide range of abilities and knowledge. Since it's an anonymous environment, we can all proclaim to be experts. A lot of times it not the people that post the most that actually know the most.

So, to my experiment. While I still think my topic and agruments are valid, I also wanted to pose a question like this to see what kind of responses that I would get from different people. Why? Well based on the responses, I now know whose opinions I will place more weight on than others. If I am looking to buy a new frame or fork, I read certain people's opinions more closely than others.

For instance, if you go read through the thread and read Knolly's responses, you will see that they are well thought out and informative. There are a few other obvious responses that were good.

I aplogize if I pisssed anyone off - it wasn't my intent. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but that's ok. I am right about the bb height/crank length issue though...

Uhhhhh...
    I've had my e-engineer degree for a while now. I know everything.

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSherpa
    I've had my e-engineer degree for a while now. I know everything.

-TS
    I am still working on mine
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Canadian at Heart
    Jan 2004
    You have a good argument going there. I think that what you are saying is true. But remember we are all human, and we all want to be popular so we say or do things to get adhead in the rat race that we call life.

I try to think of things this way when dealing with mtbr:
    Listen to the people that have actually tried the product, or are very close to the person using it, ie. a friend. Take the advice of those people, you might just get an honest answer from them. Ignor the rest, and when a thread that you put up turns into a big fight with no know purpose, just sit back a laugh at everyone that has nothing better to do.

Life is too short to worry about everything, go ride!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by RyBread
    do things to get adhead in the rat race that we call life.
    remember the winner of a rat race......

.....is still a rat
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    remember the winner of a rat race......

.....is still a rat
    Your a post whore, and that's what They do. They can't avoid posting anything related or unrelated to the topic. If they don't they find a reason too post. Hence every time I come here 2 times a day 1 morning 2nd after noon I see Shiver Me Timbers Everywhere. get a grip on your self.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by MDJ
    Well, my partly an experiment.
    yeah yeah, sure sure...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

mtbr member
    Its been my experiance that many posts and reviews on here are pretty worthless. Many people on here would rather give stupid a$$ comments rather then a decent answer to the posted question. If i were in your shoes and looking for a new frame set and fork i would do the following:

1: Figure out what you want as far a geometry, weight, and components.

2: Check reviews from this site and look for trends of problems or good points

3: Once your choices are narrowed, you could call the local bike shops or the manufactures and get more information.

The more "valuable" information you aquire the better decision you can make. Like people have said on this tread before, people post like they are pro riders. People b!$ch about bikes all the time that have no real idea. I wonder how many people on here can actually ride a bike at a level to really test it, or can actually feel suttle differances in geometry. I am off my soapbox now. All i can say is do your research carefully and take many peoples opinions here with a grain of salt. Rumors get spread easily that really are not valid. Good luck with your bike purchase.

-tmoney