My buddy's 10year old son learns to jump (video)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

My buddy's 10year old son learns to jump (video)

This weekend my ride buddy's 10 year old decided he was ready to learn to jump.
    We grabbed some tools and started digging him a table to learn on and he did great.

Here goes a video of his experience (less than 2 min)

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5xQ5XRbekjw?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Nice. I got a video of this kid on Lucid in Snowshoe this weekend. I think he was 7yrs old and wasn't as slow as you would thing a 7yr old would be.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y2CaxfGPfps" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    May 2011
    well, while we are on the kids learning to jump I'll also take a lesson

I am pretty new to biking, I have no problems going off ledges or drops (within reason), or jumps that have a long flat take off section, I can just use the speed to do the jump with a hop on take off (like jump on top video here would be easy)

but on short steep jumps with no ramp landings I am struggling.

lets say jump is a small ramp, 18 inches high, maybe 2 feet long, pitching up at increasing angle, landing on normal terrain (not landing on a ramp slope)

I basically suck, I can't control what the front wheel is doing, sometimes i land on the front wheel heavily (then the back).

It seems like the front shock absorbs the ramp and then the rear of the bike tries to catapult me over the bars.

on a bike with no suspension, I don't have this problem.

what is the correct technique for a jump like above? - body position? stand into the jump? hop at top of jump? pull up on handlebars at top of jump? shift weight back on takeoff? maybe I am going too slow?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I experienced this first hand the other day, but managed to work it out with advise from others. What they told me was to compress the bike as you enter the ramp and it worked for me. So, as your front wheel hits the ramp, kind of jump on the pedals (don't leave the bike, but press down on the pedals to compress the suspension) so that both front and rear unload as you leave the ramp, leaving you flat and level and the rear not bouncing you over.

I'm sure others have better technical advice, but that seemed to work for me and I was getting more and more air without heading nose down.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    damn, disc brakes at 10 years old? he's got a nice bike too

Glad to Be Alive
    wow I wish every one was taught that way....in this world we always have.I wish I had jumps/trails like that...BUT THEY NEVER BUILD.....everybody wants just to ride and never put time in their local trails they ride the most....if only everyone took 2 days each out of the year we would have insane trails.....when you are a builder/trail maintance guy....you do so much work to get the trail in shape from people skidding, blowing through berms ..that you hardly have time building new stuff

way to go for your son...you my friend are awesome and your son looks like he is doing quite well
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    May 2004
    NICE! Good to see the kiddo make his own way - and hit it right!
    I can hope that my kiddos follow suit - at 3 and 5 they do dig when I dig and love them some pump track!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Awesome! Never too young....

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

Thanks for the positive comments guys. The boy was stoked to say the least (which had us stoked).
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

mtbr member
    NIce video Gavin!!!!, Father and son! Grreeaaatttt!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjm View Post

. . . .

but on short steep jumps with no ramp landings I am struggling.

lets say jump is a small ramp, 18 inches high, maybe 2 feet long, pitching up at increasing angle, landing on normal terrain (not landing on a ramp slope)

all i did as a little kid was ride up and down the block jumping curbs, so it's second nature to me.....

but at the same time i know you can learn it now.....

i think it comes down to learning to bunnyhop the real way--front wheel up first, then lift to flatten out. one thing we used to do as kids was lay a 2X4 on the ground. when you hit it with your front wheel it pops your front wheel up then when your back wheel hits it you lift the whole bike....

i know this doesn't really help you learn.... but check out a couple of bmx pro's hitting tiny jumps. the first one is a curb in austin that is 14" or 16" inches tall max, by pro rider Hanson Little.... Hanson Little Welcome to the Mutiny Pro Team on Vimeo watch him at 0:48.

the other one is the launch-ramp distance jump contest at the annual 9th street halloween jam in austin.... at 1:45.

good luck.

and check out youtube. there's a lot on there....

Bikeskills.com - How to jump a mountain bike.
    Bikeskills.com - How to jump a mountain bike. - YouTube
    Last edited by cmc4130; 08-17-2011 at 06:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason B. View Post
    Thanks for the positive comments guys. The boy was stoked to say the least (which had us stoked).
    do you still have the bigger jumps you built ??

i also suggest taking him to some skateparks if there are any near by.....
    first step is jumping skate pyramids. it's more of a bunnyhop off a flat bank.... but that does help learn to get the feeling of boosting with the legs... they are also good for better riders to learn tricks like barspins and 360's on....

then a bmx box jump for real boosting ............

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4130 View Post
    do you still have the bigger jumps you built ??
    Oh yeah, he was just a tad intimidated to start on those.
    We have already started throwing more dirt on the one in the video (and added a second one, well started it anyway).

We live about an hour and fifteen minutes from Greenville, NC, where they have a nice bmx park. We need to hit it up sometime soon for sure.

Greenville park -
    Last edited by Jason B; 08-17-2011 at 07:36 PM.
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert