My Brakes Give Me A Headache... Any Suggestions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

My Brakes Give Me A Headache... Any Suggestions?

I'm getting tired of brake problems. I have a set of Hayes Stroker Trails, and the pistons have trouble retracting and need constant cleaning ( I was told there was an issue with seal lubrication on the first production run ). I also have a set of Avid Elixirs, which I love the feel of, but they too rub like crazy. The pads are so ridiculously close to rotor it's hard to get a drag free setup. The third set of brakes I have are Juicy 7's. And I love them! They are drag free, worry free, and noise free ( organic pads ). But they are starting to show their age and I'm worried I may need to retire the 7's soon. Anyone have any suggestions for a new set of stoppers?

I'm about 170lbs. with gear and ride light freeride/aggressive trail so I don't really see a need for anything like Codes (unless someone tells me they're the best brakes ever).

Thanks.

mtbr member
    get the saints and your done,

外国人
    Jun 2007
    ^ditto
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Select Start

mtbr member
    So that's a +2 for saints. I was doing some searching and found a steel on saint m800 dual control levers. $39 for the pair. Any of you saint guys use these? I never thought I would like a brake lever that moved. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    hope tech m4's or v2's are the way forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

For The Win
    Saints all the way. I went from fvcking Hayes 9's to Saints. It was the most incredible change ever, they're drag free, crazy power, they modulate really well, no arm pump, and no fade. Not to mention that they are bomb proof. If you can drop the cash for the m810's don't think twice. You wont regret it.
    Slow is cool too, right?

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by kubikeman
    So that's a +2 for saints. I was doing some searching and found a steel on saint m800 dual control levers. $39 for the pair. Any of you saint guys use these? I never thought I would like a brake lever that moved. Any thoughts?
    Nononono.... DO NOT get dual control levers. There's a reason they're only $39, and that's a rip-off...

But, another vote for 810 Saints. Insane power. Before you get crazy though, call Hayes and tell them your problem. (Or, have your LBS call.) We just called about a problem with some Strokers the other day and were told it's a warranty issue. They didn't machine the master cylinder correctly and it causes them to bind/stick... Get them fixed, sell them, and get some Shimanos.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    OK so no one else said it Formula The Ones...
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

mtbr member
    Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    Nononono.... DO NOT get dual control levers.
    haha I kind of figured on that response. So I'm seeing a trend. I'm thinking I'll have to sell a couple parts off ( including brakes ) and get Saints.

Thanks for the help all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    another vote for saint 810's.

PS: bull, I know you're a weight weener and all, but of the '10 saints on my bike and the '10 ones on my buddies bike, I actually like the saints slightly more, they're less grabby and have better modulation, and just as strong when you really need to grab some brake. Have you tried them yet? They're pretty rad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    another vote for saint 810's.

PS: bull, I know you're a weight weener and all, but of the '10 saints on my bike and the '10 ones on my buddies bike, I actually like the saints slightly more, they're less grabby and have better modulation, and just as strong when you really need to grab some brake. Have you tried them yet? They're pretty rad.
    Nope I wont dissagrea at all heard good things about them. I just prefer Formulas they have been solid for me and 235lbs of truckin they slow me down and have done so on some REAL steep LONG NW descents with no fade of issues.. Had alot of brakes fall short on a ride and ruin a good day or trip so I stick with whats been a solid performer for me for 3 years now ....

But again thats not saying saints are bad or cant keep up, I havent ran them so I cannot comment just say Ive heard lots of good tghings...
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bullcrew
    Nope I wont dissagrea at all heard good things about them. I just prefer Formulas they have been solid for me and 235lbs of truckin they slow me down and have done so on some REAL steep LONG NW descents with no fade of issues.. Had alot of brakes fall short on a ride and ruin a good day or trip so I stick with whats been a solid performer for me for 3 years now ....

But again thats not saying saints are bad or cant keep up, I havent ran them so I cannot comment just say Ive heard lots of good tghings...
    well why the hell haven't you tried them and posted a huge review you gear whore! get on that

But seriously, his ones are nothing but solid, they are by far and away the second best brake I've ever tried. If everything else sits around a 6-7 at best, the saints and the ones are at like 9.9 and 9.8

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bxxer rider
    hope tech m4's or v2's are the way forward.

Yeah, m4 have plenty of power, oh wait they dont have. V2s, New Codes (Rs will be 135$) or Saints. Unless you dont worry over the 25g over the code than go gustav.
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

hands up who wants to die
    So - you want to buy new brakes or you want to fix your Elixirs? Sounds like you just have a little too much oil in the Elixirs - or else some wacky super-thick brake pads or rotors.

The Elixirs I've tried on friend's bikes have been stupid strong.

But if you just want to buy more parts instead of fixing what you have... yeah get Saints. (And Saints could easily be set up incorrectly so as to constantly rub too...)
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

mtbr member
    I had the hayes stroker trails too. Agree with the headaches!

I was dead set on Saints but got XT's for about half the price and they work awesome for me so far. (no hardcore downhills on them yet though)

mtbr member
    Originally Posted by rpte
    So - you want to buy new brakes or you want to fix your Elixirs? Sounds like you just have a little too much oil in the Elixirs - or else some wacky super-thick brake pads or rotors.

The Elixirs I've tried on friend's bikes have been stupid strong.
    I want to buy new brakes. The pads have been broken in on several rides and the rotors are stock Avid. As for too much oil, they have a factory bleed that's less than a year old, so it may be a possibility.

I'm just really getting tired of spending money on new brakes, and I have to re-bleed them straight from the factory, or clean the cylinders every few rides so the pads will retract, or do some weird trick to line up the caliper. Has any company gotten it right yet?

I guess I need to tell the girlfriend to start hookin' so I can get some Saints. Just out of curiosity, anyone have any more reasonable suggestions to add? KTMDirtFace mentioned XT's. So maybe Shimano in general then?

hands up who wants to die
    Companies rarely get oil levels correct from the factory on suspension forks... why would they do the brakes right? It's a ballpark thing, and fine with me, since the stock hose lengths usually need to be cut to fit your frame properly.

Chains don't come pre-oiled. Shifter housings don't come pre-lubed. Tires don't come pre-talced.

My point is that Elixirs in general are pretty good brakes, but if you like to waste money trying every brake on the market - go for it.
    Last edited by rpet; 08-11-2010 at 02:12 PM.
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

banned
    Mar 2010
    i will buy your elixirs and rent your gf

mtbr member
    Originally Posted by warpaint
    i will buy your elixirs and rent your gf
    haha and you don't even know what she looks like or how much she's going to cost you? Little desperate warpaint?

rpte has a point. Maybe I'll try to bleed them and see how they work after. But the original point of this thread was:

Originally Posted by kubikeman
    But they are starting to show their age and I'm worried I may need to retire the juicy 7's soon. Anyone have any suggestions for a new set of stoppers?
    I have three bikes so I'm still looking for a new set of brakes to try...

C__Corax
    Sep 2009
    saints!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    If your not after outright power.

Saints are great, but also consider SLX's maybe the low price gets ppl to think they arent up for it.

Ive been running SLXs for 2 seasons now as DH brakes, im in the 200lbs range, and never had a problem.

But if you want the best

saints. (i know the ones are just as good performance wise, i just know a few ppl who have had a lot of bleed issues, unlike saints which can be bled properly in your kitchen )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bullcrew

The ones have the pop out lever blade like the oros or on the first hard crash you need a new set?
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

mtbr member
    Originally Posted by DeanH
    Ive been running SLXs for 2 seasons now as DH brakes, im in the 200lbs range, and never had a problem.
    Thanks, the SLX are definitely on my short list. Though the Saints are "the best" they are also nearly $600 for a complete setup. I've now had many responses recommending Saints, SLX, and even XT. So I think Shimano is on my radar now.

P.S. I bled my Elixirs today. I did get a little more pad clearance, though still not drag free. The modulation feels better too. Only a few rides will tell...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    At 170 lbs and light FR/aggro trail, you will be fine with any of the Shimano brakes (XT, SLX, Saint). Make sure you get the newer levers for more pad clearance (less rotor rub). I ran the XT 775 brakes on my DH bike for 2 seasons at Whistler at 225 lbs, and only occasionally got heat fade on the front. Currently running XT 775 levers and rear caliper and Saint front caliper on my trail and FR bikes, and full Saints on my DH bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    if Saints are too rich for your blood, I LOVE my XTs. plenty of power too.

I also have elixirs and juicys and hate them both.
    The mountains are calling and I must go

mtbr member
    Yea Really like my XT's too.

I got these BL M775's
    http://www.hucknroll.com/mountainbik.../SHI0225M.html

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Just got a Hope m4 front and x2 rear and man are they sweet. No fade at all after spending the entire day at northstar. Bled the front when I first got it (changed the hose angle and unscrewed it just a liiiitle bit too far) and it was really easy and got an awesome bleed the first time. Got them for $355 for the set, with adapters.

Honestly though, these are the biggest upgrade I have noticed on my bike thus far. That's after a shock tune, new bars, new cranks, these have made the biggest difference in my performance.

mtbr member
    Found these http://wheelworld.com/product/shiman...-bled-6882.htm at wheelworld. I'm thinking they may be the ticket. They only have front length hose, but a new hose and quick bleed for the back are easy. Looks like a good price, and it includes the rotors!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    haven't owned a set of slx's, but of the brakes I have owned/currently own, they rank

1: saint
    2: saint
    3: saint
    etc
    10: saint
    11: stroker carbons
    11: juicy 5's (stroker carbons had been set up well/good bleed, and felt fantastic. strength and modulation I liked the hayes, I like the lever on the juicys alot more. these brakes were about even)
    13: newer XT's (hated the lever, didn't really feel a whole lot stronger if at all then the juicy's or strokers, and had to bleed them pretty regularly.
    14: 2 sets of original generation codes. Owned one, and currently own a set now. When reliable, I like them significantly more then everything but the saints. But having your brake fade on a descent you can almost run brakeless is fycking annoying, and bleeding them once a month gets old. They also howled like banshees because of avid's weird contact system, and I would have to pull all of the cup/cone washers apart, clean, grease, and put back together somewhat regularly.

Basically, when they worked, the codes were better then the strokers, the juicy 5's, the xt's, but they had huge reliability issues. the saints (and ones) are really in a league of their own performance wise.

Roll on Spring Time!
    I am on XTs but I get front fade on one trail that is long and flat out. I cant even pull a stoppie at the bottom. I think XT rear is more than enough for most but I am going to try a Saint front after testing them on another riders bike. Rediculous power. Out of interest, I am asumining there will be no issue using my XT lever and installing a Saint caliper? CRC doesnt have Saints in stoke at the mo but have Saint calipers cheap.
    I just want to ride.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by 3034
    get the saints and your done,
    Simple but the most accurate advice
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I've had a lot of the popular brakes out there, and I too would put the Saints up on top. I really liked my Codes, but they were a bit finicky so I sold the 4 sets that I had and went with Saints. I must say they flat out rock...and to date have been problem free even though I've only had them 3 months. Historically, all of my Shimano brakes have been trouble free. I've had about 5 sets of the first gen XT's (755) 2 sets of the Saint/XT (765s) I set of the 775 and now the new Saints.

FYI, you can get Saints fairly reasonably on CRC (160 a side) or you can mate the 775 levers with a Saint caliper and XT rear if you want to shave some extra costs. You just need to get a correct hose mount for the Saint caliper. I've seen Saint calipers for about 90 and XT lever sets with hoses for 80ish.

Juan, you can run the Saint caliper with XT's (775s) but you will need a new hose Part#63 I believe. Not 100% positive on the part# though.

Members who have read this thread: 0