My bikes getting fat?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My bikes getting fat?

I have a 2001 SC Bullit. I originally built it as an agressive XC ride (poor mans Heckler). It weighed in @ 30lbs. which consisted of a Fox fork, sun rims, V brakes and shimano components. Well after a few trips to Northstar I swapped out a few components - Super T fork w/ a Bomshell Fat Daddy wheel, Hayes disc brakes and a few minor parts - more to surely come. My question - has anyone transformed their trail rig and started worrrying about the weight gain? Is a heavier resort ride a plus or minus? Thanx

n00b eternal
    30 lbs is insanely light for a HC bike of any sort. My current whip weighs in around 43 lbs. I think 46 is the typical weight for a good DH/freeride bike. As a rule of thumb 40-46. You could make it lighter for race day, by swapping out lighter wheels, and using lighter tires.

Bottom line: if you're doing DH that bike was way too light -> decent components will make it heavier and that is normal.

BTW, how is a Bullit a poor man's Heckler, doesn't it cost more? And a Bullit is more suited to resort riding than trail riding IMHO.
    Last edited by ezweave; 09-28-2004 at 10:39 AM.

Former Noob Herder
    well, my Stinky gained about 10 pounds over the years. Sure light is nice, but performance and durability gains require a tradeoff in lightness. Some high zoot piece-built DH race frames come in at 38#, which is considered very light and will cost a fortune to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    .................Sure light is nice, but performance and durability gains require a tradeoff in lightness......................
    Fo Sho! my ZigZag weighs 43lbs and it's my "little" jump bike. but on the flipside, nothing breaks on it.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

BTW, how is a Bullit a poor man's Heckler, doesn't it cost more? And a Bullit is more suited to resort riding than trail riding IMHO.[/QUOTE]

A 2001 Bullit frame is lighter, has less travel & cheaper ,in most cases, than the current Bullit - hense a poor mans Heckler.

I have no doubt heavier components should be stronger just wondering if the extra weight helps DH performance or detracts from it. I'd guess more weight would help it stay grounded on the rough stuff but may cause rider fatigue throwing it around?

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by keen

I have no doubt heavier components should be stronger just wondering if the extra weight helps DH performance or detracts from it. I'd guess more weight would help it stay grounded on the rough stuff but may cause rider fatigue throwing it around?
    no, extra weight doesnt help a DH rig, and proper suspension is what keeps the bike grounded. More weight means harder to accelerate, harder to brake, harder to whip around corners and harder to maneuver in the air. The extra momentum may help carry speed a bit through the rough stuff, but that would be marginal at best relative to the negative factors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

n00b eternal
    Quote Originally Posted by keen

A 2001 Bullit frame is lighter, has less travel & cheaper ,in most cases, than the current Bullit - hense a poor mans Heckler.

Gotcha, 2001. At any rate... the extra weight doesn't "help" DH performance (see zedro's last post), but it's not just extra weight. The parts weigh more because they are stronger/stiffer and more durable. Your fork is heavier because it has more travel and is more stable at speed. Cranks are heavier because they are stiffer, making the bike easier to jump and manual, BB are heavier because they are more durable (more bearings). And the list goes on...

So don't worry about the weight until you get over the 46lb mark. The heavier parts will make the resort experience more enjoyable. I like having my bike set up so I don't worry if I will break a crankarm or a headset.