My bike!!!- Mtbr.com

Thread: My bike!!!

StraightOuttaCompton

Good job! My bike!!!

Yes, this is my bike and i finally got a photobucket so i can upload the pictures. I just got some WTB dissents, Oury grips, and hope rotors.

there you go. Tell me what you think and what other parts i should get other than suspension. Thanks
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    I like it, mabey you should consider some ODI's, rims (when ready), cassette, and x-9's if not already

But other than that, It looks good
    '08 Turner DHR :)

StraightOuttaCompton
    i was thinking of getting a road cassette, but i already have x-9s.

i drink shower water
    road cassette and derailleur for the win. shifts faster, shifts smoother, less weight.

shimano 105 short cage derailleur is nice because its light reliable and not to expensive.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

StraightOuttaCompton
    i may think aobut that derailluer when and if mine breaks.

mtbr member
    are you trying to set up a red and blue color scheme? yet again, hot bike tho.

StraightOuttaCompton
    yea, the next thing i am going to do is a red seat and pedals. I also want to keep some silver to match my fork lowers too.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Nice rig! How do like the Super T?
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

StraightOuttaCompton
    Oh, the Super T is great. I like it because it is plush and smooth. It can also be set up for more FR orientation but i ride more DH. It is nice and is basically an 06 888 but with smaller stanchions.

mtbr member
    Cool, keep us posted when your done with it

Bike Ninja |||
    Cut more off of that taco.. you have a LOT of useless weight there.

and as other's have mentioned bust out a nicer drivetrain, it'll be money well spent. As well as new brakes. those Nine's are horrible for FR/DH use.. get some hopes to match your rotors.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

StraightOuttaCompton
    i was thinking of asking for hopes for my birthday. Although the Nines are bad, the rotors made an incredible difference

StraightOuttaCompton
    i want to get a road cassette. Which one should i get and i need it in 9-speed.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djponee
    i want to get a road cassette. Which one should i get and i need it in 9-speed.
    Ultegra.

mtbr member
    Although the Nines are bad
    WHAT?!?!?! why do I hear that sooo much? too strong? I have a pair and love them.

StraightOuttaCompton
    WHAT?!?!?! why do I hear that sooo much? too strong? I have a pair and love them.
    they work good for me too, just other brakes are much better, like hopes or maguras. They are strong but have no modulation which is why nobody likes them.

i drink shower water
    105 is cheaper and shifts fine. if you are like me and trash derailleurs you want something cheaper.

Meh.
    they work good for me too, just other brakes are much better, like hopes or maguras. They are strong but have no modulation which is why nobody likes them.
    The build quality is also pretty poor. I've had a couple of the MCs go bad on me. I've also warrantied a whole bunch of them. Fewer issues with the calipers... but some tolerance problems.

At least Hayes took care of MOST of our warranties...

EastBaySteez
    Im pretty sure the Super T is a re branded Jr.T
    slap a used 888RC on there and holy smokes. That'd be a b!tch'n rig.

Saints are another option for the brake department. Superb amounts of power and great modulation.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

StraightOuttaCompton
    well, it feels almost the same as my friends 888rc, except lighter and it is definitely better than a Jr. T. Trust me, i have ridden both.

EastBaySteez
    well, it feels almost the same as my friends 888rc, except lighter and it is definitely better than a Jr. T. Trust me, i have ridden both.
    Your friends 888 needs some work then.
    I have also riddin the 06 Super T. It feels like poo. (but yours might be different)

When I ride my buddies 888RC I get hard.

Not to bash on your bike at all.
    Its sick! As far as single piv DH bikes go yours is up there in my list.
    Gamut
    Team Evil

StraightOuttaCompton
    no, i have had limited time on his fork. Mostly just cruising around the neighborhood. I like my Super T, it is plush, but i have heard that they are shiaty or great, no in between. I actually felt another one on the next size up of my bike and it felt stiffer and less smooth. You could be right about my fork, but i like it, and am getting a new bike after this summer(frame only) so i will probably buy a new fork with it.

mtbr member
    I would definately pick up some lock-on grips. New brakes would be a good idea too.
    Moderatio est Figmentum - Control is an Illusion

StraightOuttaCompton
    those grips are new, and don't move at all. I like them, and i used to have lock-ons. Brakes is probably my next big upgrade.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    Im pretty sure the Super T is a re branded Jr.T
    slap a used 888RC on there and holy smokes. That'd be a b!tch'n rig.

Saints are another option for the brake department. Superb amounts of power and great modulation.
    In the past, the Super T was based off the same platform as the Jr. T, but with HSCV damping rather than SSV. People would upgrade their Jr. T to Super T. I think the 02/03 had dual HSCV, the 04 went to one HSCV, one SSVF.

Doesn't the new one use RCV or RV or whatever? I believe that's the same as SSV/SSVF. AKA... Jr. T.

N* Bomber Crew
    Those Hayes Nines gotta go...seriously.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    those grips are new, and don't move at all. I like them, and i used to have lock-ons. Brakes is probably my next big upgrade.
    Well nevermind then, lol. My past experience with standard grips hasn't been great (twisting, sliding, etc). But I do like oury grips, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it
    Moderatio est Figmentum - Control is an Illusion

StraightOuttaCompton
    . But I do like oury grips, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it
    yep.

Im a Cowboy
    Smart bike DP,
    Please excuse my Ignorence but, ...what is it?, tits got an unusual pivot placement, how does the rear ride?
    DON'T TELL ME I'M STILL ON THAT FECKIN' ISLAND! ....

mtbr member
    I see you mark your seatpost like I do, Your bike looks good dude. How much did those rotors set you back?
    AZONIC IRONHORSE

StraightOuttaCompton
    The rotors were 64$ each. If you buy the whole brake kit, they are 40$ each.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Purely from an aesthetics standpoint, I love the way the swingarm on the kumicho looks. Just something about it. I like what you've done with the color scheme too.

mtbr member
    nice ride man.. dont worry about replacing parts just replace them as needed

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sweet ride bro! One thing I would do is move your brake levers in to get better leverage. Install the right lever on the left side of the shifter and scoot the left lever over to match the right side. Trust me, you'll get better leverage and not have to put in so much effort in braking!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    i love how everybody puts 105 cassette and der on thinking to save weight. a 105 9 spd cassette with the smallest gear combo (12-23) is 236 grams. An ultegra cassette with the largest gear combo (11-27) is 230 grams. with 11-23, 193, 12-23, 207. An XT cassette with a much larger range then the 105 (11-32) is 267 grams. you're saving 31 grams for the xt-105 switch (simply in cassette weight). If you want significant weight savings, get a dura ace 11-21, which is 143 grams. a 105 derailler is 229, an XT shadow is 224. So the XT derailler is actually LIGHTER then the 105 derailler.

I'm not debating that you get nice shifting, it is possible to lose some weight running a road cassette but you have to poney up for a nice short cage derailler (otherwise the benefits in shifting quality will be non-existant), something ultegra or nicer, and thats pretty expensive. rather then spending 300 dollars for 100 grams at most (if you're trying to lose weight), theres plenty of other things on their to upgrade. a 30 gram weight saving for a smaller gear combo is one of the dumbest things i've ever heard. you may not use it much, but its damn nice to have it there when you need it, and I guerentee you won't notice a 30 gram difference in how much your rear hub area weighs. Basically the only benefit is that its shorter, so you have more clearance, and are less likely to clip it against stuff - and you can just get SRAM for that.

anyway, if you want to upgrade, why are you opposed to upgrading your shock or fork? thats gonna make the biggest difference. you could always pick up a set of outlaws or TBC revolutions (weigh the same as hadley+721) and they're strong and cheap.

Anyway, I wouldn't spend money on anything other then wheels and suspension - but it looks pretty fun as is, and if you enjoy riding it, don't stress about what "new cool product you need" to make it better. Once the initial joy of having bought something wears off, theres usually not a huge difference in how much fun you have on a bike when you make it to the bottom.

i drink shower water
    william i am not saying that the 105 is super light. im saying its good bang for the buck to get what you want out of it. if i could afford a 235$ cassete and derailleur i would pony up.

As for the kumicho here is what i would upgrade and in this order.

1. brakes (juicy 5's or 7's)
    2. road cassete and road derailleur
    3. fork
    4. rear shock
    5. wheels ( not until you hammer those out )

my buddy has a floating brake on his and he likes it. its a solid frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    i love how everybody puts 105 cassette and der on thinking to save weight. a 105 9 spd cassette with the smallest gear combo (12-23) is 236 grams. An ultegra cassette with the largest gear combo (11-27) is 230 grams. with 11-23, 193, 12-23, 207. An XT cassette with a much larger range then the 105 (11-32) is 267 grams. you're saving 31 grams for the xt-105 switch (simply in cassette weight). If you want significant weight savings, get a dura ace 11-21, which is 143 grams. a 105 derailler is 229, an XT shadow is 224. So the XT derailler is actually LIGHTER then the 105 derailler.

I'm not debating that you get nice shifting, it is possible to lose some weight running a road cassette but you have to poney up for a nice short cage derailler (otherwise the benefits in shifting quality will be non-existant), something ultegra or nicer, and thats pretty expensive. rather then spending 300 dollars for 100 grams at most (if you're trying to lose weight), theres plenty of other things on their to upgrade. a 30 gram weight saving for a smaller gear combo is one of the dumbest things i've ever heard. you may not use it much, but its damn nice to have it there when you need it, and I guerentee you won't notice a 30 gram difference in how much your rear hub area weighs. Basically the only benefit is that its shorter, so you have more clearance, and are less likely to clip it against stuff - and you can just get SRAM for that.

anyway, if you want to upgrade, why are you opposed to upgrading your shock or fork? thats gonna make the biggest difference. you could always pick up a set of outlaws or TBC revolutions (weigh the same as hadley+721) and they're strong and cheap.

Anyway, I wouldn't spend money on anything other then wheels and suspension - but it looks pretty fun as is, and if you enjoy riding it, don't stress about what "new cool product you need" to make it better. Once the initial joy of having bought something wears off, theres usually not a huge difference in how much fun you have on a bike when you make it to the bottom.
    That's why I use Dura Ace - $116 - 167g (cool top 2 ti rings too!)

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by StonedGorilla
    Well nevermind then, lol. My past experience with standard grips hasn't been great (twisting, sliding, etc). But I do like oury grips, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it
    Once you get a system down for mouting grips with rubbing alch. or spray paint they dont more and some times feel better than lock-ons. But they are a b!tch and a half to get off when you have to change brakes or shifters. (I run lock-ons..)
    Gamut
    Team Evil

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hayes Quality Control is utter crap, meaning they send out some nice brakes, but they also send out really crappy brakes. It just comes down to luck if you get a decent brake or a crappy brake.

I'd say just replace stuff as you feel fit or when stuff brakes. Like its been mentioned, if it ain't broke don't fix it. especially if your just taking the advice from some tool on the internet.

StraightOuttaCompton
    It just comes down to luck if you get a decent brake or a crappy brake.
    ya, they aren't that bad at all, they are actually kind of nice. I must have gota good pair.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    those grips look nice, but lock-ons FTW! Over all, cool!

i drink shower water
    the ouray grips are actually really awesome. i had a purple set on my DJ and they stayed in place very well. i took em of because they are too thick for my wee hands.

Members who have read this thread: 0