Municipal bike parks?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Smile Municipal bike parks?

Are there any cities out there that have allowed (or even help build) mtb/fr bike facilities? Any info would be great. It looks like a local city here, under the guise of urban improvement, is thinking about a new multi-purpose park facility that would include some mountain bike stuff. Not sure yet what scale they are planning for. Any existing examples of what they could do would be helpful.

Thanks,
    John

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Yes, in Reading, PA

I was at race there this past weekend that was killer, a 1 1/2 mile freeride/xc loop in their city park, complete with manmade ladders, etc., jumps, and rock drops. They also hold a downhill race through the park and into town in Sept., also complete with manmade and natural stunts. Excellent stuff, and the Dept. of commerce for the city was a sponser! The trails and stunts are open all the time as far as I know. Best place to find info is to go to www.hcor.net then go to forums, and to the downhill/freeride forums, and check the threads. There are several that state Reading, PA race/trails in the title. The one guy posting (something paz?) I believe coordinated the whole thing, they even had Lars and Aaron Chase (top pros on the east coast) racing it. We have a city park here (Scranton, PA) that would also be great for freeriding, etc. and I would like to find out how they did it too.

There's no app for this.

yep, if you work at it...

North Shore in Vancouver BC is on municipal land and parks, we work with the forest service and city to try to keep any negatives to a dull roar.

check Google for skate board parks...there's a ton of info on how to work with your city to make it happen, it should apply to bike parks in general.

Jim

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    in colorado springs we have a set of dirt jumps in a public park thanks to the city. Lousy jumps, but better than nothing

Dax
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    My home town of Port Moody (a suburb of Vancouver BC) has a trials park: http://www.imba.com/tcc/2001/port_moody.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    IN MY CITY OF ASHLAND OREGON WE HAVE A "BMX" PARK WHERE i TOOK THIS PIC 2 DAYS AGO