To much formy bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

To much formy bike?

I have a Sugar 3+ and i have been doing a lot of freeriding recently. I have been jumping flights of stairs (10 or less), off of ledges onto flat concrete like 5 foot and just things like that. What i wanna know is that can my bike take this without really jepordizing the integrity of the frame welds and just over all "well being" of the bike. I know its a XC bike but how much more can i do with it or should i stop where i am at as far as freeriding goes. Thanks alot.

Bighit Evangalest

that depends

On how you are landing stuff. If you are using your body to absorb the impact properly then the bike will be fine but your average XC bike will snap at a weld soemwhere, most likely the head tube or something, after too many 5 foot drops to flat. if thats the kind of riding you want to be doing then you shoudl really look at picmign yoruself up a decent freeride or urban frame.....
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To feel no fear denotes a lack of intellegence.
    True courage is feeling the fear and doing it anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ3+
    I have a Sugar 3+ and i have been doing a lot of freeriding recently. I have been jumping flights of stairs (10 or less), off of ledges onto flat concrete like 5 foot and just things like that. What i wanna know is that can my bike take this without really jepordizing the integrity of the frame welds and just over all "well being" of the bike. I know its a XC bike but how much more can i do with it or should i stop where i am at as far as freeriding goes. Thanks alot.
    I freerode a trek fuel for a while, didnt really hit anything over 5-7', and mostly to decent tranny. I cracked the rear end of the frame once, then after a while I cracked my head tube area. It held up for almost a year. Hope this helps give you a better feel for what a xc bike can take. by the way, I weigh like 130-140 lbs

mtbr member
    I'd say just stop freeride on ur XC bike. It's gonna break if you keep doing stuff like that and there's no way around that. If you really enjoy urban and such you can pick up a cheap urban/DJ hardtail frame from www.ridesoul.com
    "Better safe than scarry"

www.3dmtb.net