MTX rims denting- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

MTX rims denting

I have MTX's on my Sunday and they dent and the lip bends like crazy on the back one. The front has only one little dent. It seems that a lot of people talk highly of these rims, but does anyone else have these problems? My old WTB Laser Disc Dh rims never dented. I'm 250 and run 35 psi front and back and ride Diablo, Platty, and Whiteface. Keep in mind, I've always ran this preassure and weighed the same on the WTB's. I probably have 4 new dents every time I ride and I straightened them out using a crescent wrench in the past, but after the first 10 I gave up cause I don't want to weaken them anymore. Don't say I need more air for my weight or something cause I didn't have these problems previously. Is there a better rim or some problem with a couple of the MTX's? Thanks, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

moaaar shimz
    Get some nice Mavic rims (721, 729, 823) and be happy

Pro Crastinator
    not sure what your bad luck has been. i have a set of 8-Tracks (polished MTX rims) and have actually had to ride with a flat on 2 seperate occasions. one was for about 3.5 miles (at keystone i flatted at the top) and the other was for about 2 (local trail), i just kept riding because i wasn't gonna walk. i just kept my regular pace becaue it was my rear wheel as well. after both times, i merely had a bazillion small dings and nicks on the outer edge, but no big dents or bends. on second time the rim seperated from the bead and really took a beating, but again, no major bends or dents...

I Welcome All
    mine are rocksolid, i have hit square edged rocks so hard and heared the loudest DIIINNNGGG's dozens of times, i have also ridden on a flat, but still brand new

To "Air" Is Human
    My MTX's lasted for my first test ride and that was it. I'm also a bit above 200lbs. They turned into lovely taco shaped paper weights. I use Arrow Racing rims on most of my bikes and haven't had a problem with them.

Flyin' low
    Definatly Arrows. They are bomb proof!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    i had the same problem...
    go tsome mavics and still have the same problem, but it is greatly reduced lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    MTXs aren't a full-on DH rim anyway.
    You weigh 250, so you might need to use a heavier/stronger rim on the back. If you want to keep it fairly light, try an ex729.

Bike Hustler
    yeah my MTX's are bent up dinged to heck... but they still spin true.
    SHAM-WOW

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It's better to have a rim look like a stop sign than come apart on the trail.

I've seen many "harder" rims split in several pieces on the same stunts as an MTX that just flat spotted.

Randy

Glad to Be Alive
    for your weight run higher air pressure
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I think the rims are just soft. I had them last year and I weigh 130 lbs. By the end of the year they had so many dings and dents in them. But, they still spun pretty true since I checked my tension somewhat often. Still gnarly beat up though.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    That's the cost of Dh'ing, rims and tires. If you get through a whole season with the same rims you've done pretty good.

Bum Buzzer
    fooey on higher pressure. Get a Doubletrack/Mag30

ride it without a tire if u want.

mtbr member
    I have the MTXs on my dirtjump/urban bike and have some NASTY dents in there.

I think from pinch flatting trying to bunnyhop really high/far gaps. But yeah they're super soft. And don't stay true at all. I have to give my spokes on a whole side literally a couple of turns every week when I'm riding a lot. And yes I properly tensioned them when I first got them.

I'll probably get DT 6.1s or Mavics.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by coldawg
    And don't stay true at all. I have to give my spokes on a whole side literally a couple of turns every week when I'm riding a lot.
    Thats why your rims aren't true at all. You should check your spoke tension after/before every ride.

mtbr member
    I have had exactly an opposite experience with the sun mtx's. I got a flat at the top of OG Sin at whistler last week and rode all the way down to the bottom of fitz and there wasn't even a scratch on it.With that said I have seen a few mtx's with some kinks, but all rims will kink over time, I think it really just depends on your riding style and weight. And to whoever recomended dt's to avoid kinks, they have to be the softest rim ever made.Both of my dt wheelsets are 100% destroyed.

keystone addict
    Are your spokes tight?
    I kinda wish my brakes actually worked, but I guess that just makes me faster, right?

mtbr member
    Yeah, The tension is pretty close too. It's not that the wheels are coming out of true, just bending at the lip like crazy. I spun the wheel in the truing stand at the shop and... Well, it looked like it was the worst wheel I've ever seen. BUT, when I moved the truing guages up higher to the inside of the rim (away from the lip) they were right on.
    Hubbard Bike Club

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    I have an MTX on the rear, and it's all beat up. I got way more life out of my Demax. So what does every body think is a "good" rim?

biking is fun
    if your wtb laserdisc dh rims never dented then why don't you get them again. go with what you know will work.
    i just got the laser disc fr rims and they are pretty sweet so far.

mtbr member
    I've found mine to be a bit soft too, fwiw. Considering a Mavic 823 upgrade...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn
    I have MTX's on my Sunday and they dent and the lip bends like crazy on the back one.
    Of course they do.....they're Sun-Ringle rims! Hey don't get me wrong, I rode Sun rims for years (sponsored), but I just gave up on them. There are a few good batches here and there, but overall, they're not good, they're almost disposable. I tried using Mavic rims, and I've never looked back. EX823s, EX721s, XM819s, they're all great!

No Fear
    it totaly depends on pressure - weigh - terrain -ridding style and....
    A have a pair of MTX Stype 's .And i dented it once on a pinch flat hitting on the edge of a rock .

the goose is loose!
    my friend did half of porcupine rim on a flat rear tire. he has arrow rims and when we got done we expected a square rim but it was almost perfect. he weighs aboot 190. good stuff.

Three sheets to the wind
    I know a lot of folks that are happy with Mavic, I built a set of DH wheels a while back, Double Tracks, huge DT Swisss spokes with WTB hubs, these are the best DH wheels I have ever had...

Members who have read this thread: 0