Mt. Baldy is So Cal's new Bike Park- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 46 of 46
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    15

    Mt. Baldy is So Cal's new Bike Park

    I'm not sure if you guys have heard the rumors or not, but it's the real deal. I've been heading up this project for a year now and here's where we're at.

    We will be opening a new bike park at Mt. Baldy this summer. Our goal is to build slowly to focus on quality not quantity. We will be working to build two terrain/slopestyle parks, 4 dh trails, one skills park, and a XC loop. We'll need all you guys to help make this happen so lets get ready to dig! See you when the snow melts. I'll keep ou posted with trail dig days and other news.


    Rather than retype everything I've allready said at RM read the links below.


    http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=148999
    http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=149856

  2. #2
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    [Mt.BaldyBikePark read your PM's......
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    15
    Hey Bob. I fully expect you to be a part of our trail crew. Especially after we've already talked abou it several times. Yup, it's Conrad (from San Diego). I'm the Bike Park Director.

    Anybody that wants to come out and help build is happily welcome. We will be putting together a bike park team. Team members will get a free season park pass, get to ride the park on special "off" days when it's closed to the public, and get free shwag. I'll fill you guys in on how you can make the team latter, but it will center around trail work and park maintenance.

  4. #4
    Moose Enthusiast
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    237
    awesome! is there going to be a website for the bike park? and how long is the drive from L.A.?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,473
    Quote Originally Posted by hofferfish
    awesome! is there going to be a website for the bike park? and how long is the drive from L.A.?
    45 minutes? or 45 miles?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ebfreerider510's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,572
    awesome, wish they could also open something like this up in nor-cal, i would be down to come check it out. hopefully it will be a success!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    397
    I'm interested.
    It takes about 25 min. for me to drive up to the Baldy parking lot.
    I live right at the bottom of the hill in La Verne.

  8. #8
    Old No. 7
    Reputation: fred.r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,453
    Where is Mt. Baldy? Sounds super familiar.
    06 888 RC2X FOR SALE! PM FOR DETAILS

    ...the mustache has spoken

  9. #9
    surf-ride-repeat
    Reputation: pdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,491
    Sick! Congrats! I hope to frequent your establishment, if possible.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rodel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    351
    sweet! sweet! SWEET!
    now I know I made a good choice with a freeride rig as my next bike

    Thanks for all your hard work and dedication!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3
    i would like to help build to XC track, not much into downhill......yet

  12. #12
    Granny
    Guest
    First off, I'm stoked we got guys like you making this happen, so thanks.
    Whatever the scope of work is, I'd like to be a part of it. I'll be coming up from San Diego.
    Any ideas on the dh runs? ie. ladders, jumps, skinnies?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RobsterCraw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,417
    I'm a long way away from SoCal but I got some heavy hitting buddies in Ocean Beach - San Diego area. They should be all about it. I'll let them know.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nintense's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    112

    Can you add....

    Quote Originally Posted by Mt.BaldyBikePark
    I'm not sure if you guys have heard the rumors or not, but it's the real deal. I've been heading up this project for a year now and here's where we're at.

    We will be opening a new bike park at Mt. Baldy this summer. Our goal is to build slowly to focus on quality not quantity. We will be working to build two terrain/slopestyle parks, 4 dh trails, one skills park, and a XC loop. We'll need all you guys to help make this happen so lets get ready to dig! See you when the snow melts. I'll keep ou posted with trail dig days and other news.


    Rather than retype everything I've allready said at RM read the links below.


    http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=148999
    http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=149856
    some direction from LA ?

  15. #15
    TC3
    TC3 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    476
    A little bit more info would be nice...
    I'm kind of sick of driving up to Mammoth during the summer

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    196
    I live in West LA and will be ready to dig!!

  17. #17
    Over the Hill
    Reputation: dstepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,764
    Do you forsee any bike trails the Thunder Mountain area of Baldy. That is very close to very a popular hiking area. If so I hope people have the sence to stay off the "off limits to bikes trails" in that area. Those trails look so sweet it is hard to not want to ride them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  18. #18
    notabouttoseeyourlight
    Reputation: coma13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,664
    www.mtbaldy.com for directions
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

  19. #19
    suspension whore
    Reputation: matthew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    702
    Great news, congratulations.
    Count me in.
    ceck your PM for my info
    Intense 6.6..... Demo 9.

    Mammoth MTN downhilling - check it out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb_m_pb0Ns0

  20. #20
    rollin
    Reputation: sriracha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,645
    this is so awesome!
    thanks for all your work.
    i am down for doing trail work.
    pm'ed you my info.

  21. #21
    notabouttoseeyourlight
    Reputation: coma13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,664
    I'm gonna be all over this shizzle!
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

  22. #22
    GOD SPEED # 58 # 69 RIP
    Reputation: pvflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    912
    thanks, is nice to have a BikePark, here in SoCal!
    check your pm.

  23. #23
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by Mt.BaldyBikePark
    Hey Bob. I fully expect you to be a part of our trail crew. Especially after we've already talked abou it several times. Yup, it's Conrad (from San Diego). I'm the Bike Park Director.

    Anybody that wants to come out and help build is happily welcome. We will be putting together a bike park team. Team members will get a free season park pass, get to ride the park on special "off" days when it's closed to the public, and get free shwag. I'll fill you guys in on how you can make the team latter, but it will center around trail work and park maintenance.

    yo Conrad...just let me know...you got my info......you might want to look at other places for ideas and come up to our neck of the woods....we have many new things built to look at
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  24. #24
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by matt
    45 minutes? or 45 miles?
    probably 45 miles..............from pasadena it is an half an hour
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  25. #25
    rollin
    Reputation: sriracha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,645
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    probably 45 miles..............from pasadena it is an half an hour
    from SB it's 2 1/2 hours. timed it on my last return trip from bootleg. no problem for a day or a full weekend.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    15
    Thanks guys I appreciate the support.

    As for the location it's off the 210 freeway in Upland (20 minutes from downtown LA). Once you exit the freeway you have only about a twenty minute drive to the top. If you live in LA or Orange county it's pretty safe to say you could be there in an hour or less. From San Diego it takes 1 1/2 hours. Pretty nice, ehh.

    As for the nearby hiking trails and out of bounds riding in general. Basically we are going to have a extremely strict zero tolerance policy on that. Get caught riding off trail once and you're band for a year. Get caught again and you're black balled for life. It's tough, but we don't want to have any problems with the USFS or hikers.

    I'll give more info soon, but there's plenty available if you read the links.

    Lets all pry for a heat wave.

  27. #27
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by Mt.BaldyBikePark
    Thanks guys I appreciate the support.

    As for the location it's off the 210 freeway in Upland (20 minutes from downtown LA). Once you exit the freeway you have only about a twenty minute drive to the top. If you live in LA or Orange county it's pretty safe to say you could be there in an hour or less. From San Diego it takes 1 1/2 hours. Pretty nice, ehh.

    As for the nearby hiking trails and out of bounds riding in general. Basically we are going to have a extremely strict zero tolerance policy on that. Get caught riding off trail once and you're band for a year. Get caught again and you're black balled for life. It's tough, but we don't want to have any problems with the USFS or hikers.

    I'll give more info soon, but there's plenty available if you read the links.

    Lets all pry for a heat wave.
    4 words

    Closer then Big Bear

    better, steeper, more challenging
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  28. #28
    Pro Crastinator
    Reputation: .WestCoastHucker.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,437
    i have plenty of ideas and lots of spare time.....


  29. #29
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    i have plenty of ideas.....
    must have you, alloy and Jake there too
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  30. #30
    rollin
    Reputation: sriracha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,645
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    i have lots of spare time.....
    LUCKY!!!

    on a side note...there was some old mtbike video that showed people riding at mt.baldy. it had some shots of a steep section of trail that had an off camber turn right on a cliff. one classic shot showed some lycra/tshirt/xc-helmet dude wash out his front wheel on the turn and he just rag dolled off the cliff, way down the mountain, over a gnarly boulder field. then, they showed it again in slow motion. he lived, but got all gashed up. worst crash i've ever seen. i was watching it with a buddy, bout 4 years ago, and he shouted out, "that's mt. baldy! i grew up skiing there!". anybody else seen this video? what video was that? remember that scene?

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    i have plenty of ideas and lots of spare time.....
    Excellent

  32. #32
    notabouttoseeyourlight
    Reputation: coma13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,664
    Quote Originally Posted by Mt.BaldyBikePark
    Excellent
    If you get Mike and Bob to input, it'll be dope for sure!
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: :solar:'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    259
    Conrad,
    I don't know you, but I'd really like to thank you personally for the time and work you put in on this. Congratulations on the Bike Park Director position.

    This is good on so many levels. Its great for the industry and the scene in SoCal.
    But, most importantly, it will relieve some of the tension on local multi-use trails like Mt. Lowe. I would rather drive out to Baldy than have to worry about shuttles, crazy sport bikers on the 2, hikers, and uneccessary climbing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mt.BaldyBikePark
    As for the nearby hiking trails and out of bounds riding in general. Basically we are going to have a extremely strict zero tolerance policy on that. Get caught riding off trail once and you're banned for a year. Get caught again and you're black balled for life. It's tough, but we don't want to have any problems with the USFS or hikers.
    This is totally resonable.
    Also, it sounds like the trails will be quality. Wasn' t the lack of challenging trails the main reason people road out of bounds at Big Bear? If the trails and features are proper, than only the biggest knucklehead would be so foolish to ride outside of the park.

    I can't wait...

  34. #34
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by :solar:
    Co
    This is totally resonable.
    Also, it sounds like the trails will be quality. Wasn' t the lack of challenging trails the main reason people road out of bounds at Big Bear? If the trails and features are proper, than only the biggest knucklehead would be so foolish to ride outside of the park.

    I can't wait...
    just make really hard stuff and ways to go around it.......also a "basic training" (a la Falls City) for road simulation gaps, and stuff to build your abilities
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,473
    Now we just need a place like you guys here in NorCal so I don't have to pedal up a hill.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by Mt.BaldyBikePark
    Thanks guys I appreciate the support.

    As for the location it's off the 210 freeway in Upland (20 minutes from downtown LA). Once you exit the freeway you have only about a twenty minute drive to the top. If you live in LA or Orange county it's pretty safe to say you could be there in an hour or less. From San Diego it takes 1 1/2 hours. Pretty nice, ehh.

    As for the nearby hiking trails and out of bounds riding in general. Basically we are going to have a extremely strict zero tolerance policy on that. Get caught riding off trail once and you're band for a year. Get caught again and you're black balled for life. It's tough, but we don't want to have any problems with the USFS or hikers.

    I'll give more info soon, but there's plenty available if you read the links.

    Lets all pry for a heat wave.
    Not to be critical, but you need to give out more realistic information.
    Upland is 35 miles from downtown LA, how on earth do you expect people to make it
    from downtown to Upland in 20 minutes??? In LA traffic?

    Secondly, and a lot of people should realize this before even going up there,
    is that the mountain is surrounded by wilderness areas, so that pic above
    of the "sweet trails" would be unridable.
    Bikes are not allowed in the wilderness and I'm sure the USFS is going
    to be watchful of that.

    I'm excited about this park and would like to be involved with trail work, I only
    wish any of the people I've ever contacted about this effort would return my
    e-mails (that means you AMBP).

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Mowerman
    Secondly, and a lot of people should realize this before even going up there,
    is that the mountain is surrounded by wilderness areas, so that pic above
    of the "sweet trails" would be unridable.
    Bikes are not allowed in the wilderness and I'm sure the USFS is going
    to be watchful of that.

    I'm excited about this park and would like to be involved with trail work, I only
    wish any of the people I've ever contacted about this effort would return my
    e-mails (that means you AMBP).
    If you take the time to read all the posts and the links I provided at the top then you will notice that we have a strict policy against out of bounds riding. Also, I have explained that AMBP is no longer around. My former partner and I closed AMBP several months ago. I'm sorry your email was never returned. Send me a PM and I'll gladly set you up for trail building days. Your concerns are valid and if we all keep that in mind then we shouldn't have any problems with the out of bounds wilderness areas.

    Thanks,
    Conrad
    Bike Park Director

  38. #38
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by matt
    Now we just need a place like you guys here in NorCal so I don't have to pedal up a hill.
    they do....is called Mt williamette in Orego
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  39. #39
    Premium Member
    Reputation: Ojai Bicyclist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,842
    PMed you, and thanks for working hard to establish another riding area in SoCal!!!

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    196
    Anybody read this yet? Gravity Logic is apparently a program that the crew from Whistler is putting together to consult with other MTB parks. This program looks like it may be geared to larger resorts and cost is not really discussed.

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=189750

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    30
    Wow! This is exciting, good job on all your hard work to put this together. Post your work days and we'll try to get up there.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    15
    The weather was amazing at Baldy today. It's so nice to go up there and get above all this gloomy overcast crap.

    So, about the trail and when we will build. Currently we have to finish our biology and archeology studies. Today we finished the botony (sp?) study. What that all means is the trail building may be pushed back several weeks to a month. I know we all want to ride as soon as yesterday, but don't worry Baldy will have a very long riding season. In the mean time we'll be marking off more trails and dialing it all in. Maybe I'll sneak in a few spy photos for you guys.

    These trails will largely be built on feedback I've been given. So if there is something you guys would like to see in the trail creation (big berms, jumps, rock gardens, north shore) this is a great place to say it.

    thanks,
    Conrad
    Bike Park Director

  43. #43
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    conrad.......email me

    [email protected]
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    21
    Thats Conrads email address I take it. Because I would really like to be a part of building this up at Mt. Baldy. Moving down from Mammoth has been kind of a drag since there really isn't much down here for riding DH. Anyways I'm all for this park and access, what ever I may be able to help with.

  45. #45
    pwn3rator
    Reputation: scabrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,640
    i want to help too. looks like fun. i'm excited for this summer...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    262
    lots of north shore and drops.
    if your hands are on the handles your still in control

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.