MRP System 3- Mtbr.com

Thread: MRP System 3

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004

New question here. MRP System 3

I recently saw this on their web-site. I was wondering if anybody has used this, or has heard anything about it. I'm really interested if the single outter plate can handle the rocks on its own.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004

One on the way...

it's a sweet setup, but I wouldn't trust the alu basher. I've had more than one bend on me in the past, messing up my ride.

However, you can get it with a different bashguard. I would recommend calling MRP and ask them about the new Poly bashguard version of the System 3, if your interested. It has all the benefits of the Evil (no inner ring, great chain retention, poly bashguard) and MRP Systems (quiet, simple, great chain retention).

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Cool. The poly bashgurad sounds nice. I've been looking at the new Truvativ BoxGuide w/poly bashguard as well. Their's looks nice, thick, & lightweight like the Evil. I'll look at pricing on both of them. Thanks for the info Red5!

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Red5, do you know the performance of the Bones system without the crankarms? Pretty much, I'm getting an M3, and I'm looking for a lightweight setup but with durability. That's why I started looking at the System3, but now I might forego it for the Truvativ or MRP systems. Can't do an Evil, don't ask me why. What's your opinion???

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hbfrdh1
    Red5, do you know the performance of the Bones system without the crankarms? Pretty much, I'm getting an M3, and I'm looking for a lightweight setup but with durability. That's why I started looking at the System3, but now I might forego it for the Truvativ or MRP systems. Can't do an Evil, don't ask me why. What's your opinion???
    Honestly, if you cannot get the System 3 w/ poly or an Evil then it would be a tough call, but money being the issue I'd get the Truvativ. It's basic and bombproof, though it can be tricky to setup. If money weren't an issue I'd suggest getting the System 2 and upgrading the outer bashguard to an E13.

My own personal biggest problems with the older guides is the alu bashguards. They have a tendency to bend and that can screw up alot of other things like crank spiders and rings. I had a Blackspire DS-1 (same as MRP Sys 2) with alu basher and dropped of a little 2" drop and landed square on a rock bending the bashguard, ring (Blackspire DH), crank spider (Truvativ Hussefelts) and bottom bracket (Truvativ DH).

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    I've got a stock chainguide on my Giant DH, and that thing is pretty bent. That's why I'm looking for something else. It's easier for me to get the Truvativ rather than a System 3 with poly. What's tricky about the Truvativ? Seems like a pretty simple system to set up.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    If you don't setup the top guide properly the chain can pop off sometimes, but other than that it's pretty nice. I have one on my Urban/jumper HT and have not had any issues to date (6 months). I know some DH'rs who run them and have never heard a complaint out of them.

One good thing about the Truvativ as you said is that it's simple and also pretty cheap. Definitely a good budget minded guide, which performs above the price tag.

mtbr member
    how much is that going to cost, get an e-13 instead
    www.hope.co.uk

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingy
    how much is that going to cost
    Too what are you referring? Because the suggested price I got from MRP at IB about the System 3, put it below the price of the E13 and closer to that of the Truvativ guide @ $90.00 USD. Of course nothing was set in stone, so it could change.