MRI results in....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

MRI results in....

Both ACL's are completely torn, both LCL's have partial tears(sprain). RT leg has a torn meniscus (contribution of CHC medical center) and the LT has multiple bone fractures. I'm hoping if a football players can get back on the field and play at a high level, then I can get back on a DH bike for some fun. Of course everyone is calling me nuts for wanting too. I have never been hurt, so I guess it had to happen eventaully.The family is none to happing with me saying I'm going the use down time to build a mini DH bike. They don't like the Six Million Dollar Man references either. At the moment I'm a little down on this Firday the 13th and could use a little cheering up.

biking is fun
    Dang man! that really sucks. Hit the physical therapy hard and build that mini DH bike to keep you busy (although its getting really hard to pick between all the sweet ones on the market nowdays)

Heal up quick

For The Win
    Wow dude, that sucks! I hope you heal up fast and well to get out on that sick mini dh bike you'll be building Feel better bro.
    Slow is cool too, right?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    ouch! what happened, healing vibes man

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hmmmm, no six million dollar references.....hoy 'bout RoboCop?

Hope you get fixed up soon.

mtbr member
    Yo Darth.. I tore my ACL, MCL, LCL, severed my patellar tendon, tore both meniscus of cartilidge and sparined my hamstring on my right leg... that was almost 7 years ago. Two surgeries and a year later and I was back on the bike. I'm riding harder and faster than I ever did back then. If you're willing to put in the work, you can get back to where you want to be.. just be smart in your rehab and don't rush it.

Do some research; find a good dr and physical therapist that you trust and work your a$$ off. It don't matter how good the dr stitches you up if you don't have the determination and know how to rehabilitate it.

mtbr member
    I guess new robotic legs are in your future, be careful with the last original appendage you have left. In all honesty good luck with the recovery and keep on riding.

troubled economist
    Modern medicine is amazing, stay positive! After breaking my leg it seemed like a long road, but head the doc's orders, and start PT as soon as you can and don't slack on it. Much of the success of recovery is up to you, so stay motivated and on task. A new bike is good motivation....

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Damn Dude!!!! WTF did you do? clipped in? Hope all goes well, just take it easy and give yourself time to heal properly. Might want to invest in some braces. If insurance will pay all or most try the CTi braces.[URL="http://www.ossur.com/?PageID=13561"]

Commit or eat sh!t
    Good luck with the recovery!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Physical Therapy is a pain in the ass but it does help, I'm on my 6th week, with an undetermined number of weeks left..
    "The sound of a car door opening in front of you is similar to the sound of a gun being cocked."

OMG!
    good luck. PT all the way. Heres some inspiration, your story reminded me of this...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IWK5sK-yph0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IWK5sK-yph0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Now with More Wood
    That really sucks man, I've been through a couple of off-the-bike-for-some-time injuries, they are not much fun, but honestly the time really does pass by pretty quick in the end (you'll soon be looking back at it all...). For now you'll have plenty of PT to look forward to, and you should definitely get yourself that mini-DH to tinker with during the down time! mmmmm Kalula.... :-)

Oh and for some real inspiration, watch "Disposable Hero" - the story of Brian Deegan of Metal Mulisha fame...bouncing back from some pretty horrific injuries...

Healing vibes.

mtbr member
    I see the surgeon on Monday.Can't wait to go under the knife or shall I say the scope, so I can get started on my PT. I never felt the pop that everyone talks about, Thanks all

mtbr member
    Good vibes your way man, hope you heal fast and are back on the bike stronger than before. Definitely get into PT and take it seriously, and don't just jump on your bike and go ride 3 months into rcovering if your doc tells you 9 months to a year recovery... Even if you feel 100% better. It sucks I know, but let yourself heal up as much as you can.

I had 9 vertebrae in my back fused and supported by metal rods when I was 16. Six months later I had my upper jaw cut out of my head, broken into three pieces, then bolted back in. It was a long year and some change of waiting. And the first "mountain bike" rides were just me cruising in the street for a couple months but I didn't care too much just because I was back on a bike. 10 years later and I have never been better.

Good luck man, get better soon so you can shred trails and high five chicks in bikinis while your flying through the air.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

Pivotal figure
    One thing that should work in your favor is that by riding your bike you are in better shape than the average person. My Dr said that was a big help for my recovery time. Just stick to your PT schedule and don't take any shortcuts. It took me a year to get back to feeling "normal" but everything has been solid for over 10 years now.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Never blown out my knees ouch thats a bummer.

But know a couple guys, plus tons of people on KTMTalk (motorcycles) that swear by this guy in texas to fix them up. Seen dudes riding after 2 weeks with broken collerbones...couple months with ACL's. No experiance myself, but I would take a look if I was in that situation.

http://www.sandersclinic.net/

Good luck

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    This has been an injury plagued season for my group: so far

Roommate, broken foot, recovered, rode his bike 4 times, broken hand. recovered, and riding for his second time today!
    Friend: Broken collarbone, just recovered, 2 rides back, going strong
    Friend: just seperated his shoulder yesterday (which was especially brutal, since he was absolutely fuggin killing it yesterday, so smooth, pinning every jump and double in sight, and nailing the tech and corners and speed.
    Girlfriend: broken pinky (I brought her to N*... maybe a bad call, but after she fell and broke it, she was adamant we do another run, and killed it, and wants to go again)

So far, everybody has been in pretty good spirits about it - crashing and hurting yourself sucks, but its part of DH, and I love it enough that when I inevitably crash and do myself in, I'll be back on the bike as soon as possible.

If you want to see somebody inspirational, look at fabian barel.

Members who have read this thread: 0