moving up a class in dh?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

moving up a class in dh?

Started racing this past summer on a Tomac 6 Shooter. At Angel Fire I finished in 12:28.

At Blast the Mass I was in 3rd ( 5:47) 25 seconds behind the winner. Sport winner was 5:31 At Telluride I finished in 3:48 3rd place. 25 seconds behind 2nd place, and 29 seconds behind the winner. Sport winner was 2:52

I do well in xc racing but moved up before getting bumped or sandbagging. I race sport in Colorado then raced in a WORS event in Wisconsin -5th in expert class (35 finishers)

I have only done 3 dh races but liked it so much that my 2005 Stab Supreme is already here Got it from my sponsor. I have local access to dh practice, so what do you think? Move from beginner to sport with my norba renewal next month? I did get to try out the Kona rep's bike and just maybe I don't want to be seen with that bike in the beginner class.
    Last edited by roaddog; 12-23-2004 at 02:02 AM.

V10 Freerider
    Quote Originally Posted by roaddog
    Started racing this past summer on a Tomac 6 Shooter. At Angel Fire I finished in 12:28.

At Blast the Mass I was in 3rd ( 5:47) 25 seconds behind the winner. Sport winner was 5:31 At Telluride I finished in 3:48 3rd place. 25 seconds behind 2nd place, and 29 seconds behind the winner. Sport winner was 2:52

I do well in xc racing but moved up before getting bumped or sandbagging. I race sport in Colorado then raced in a WORS event in Wisconsin -5th in expert class (35 finishers)

I have only done 3 dh races but liked it so much that my 2005 Stab Supreme is already here Got it from my sponsor. I have local access to dh practice, so what do you think? Move from beginner to sport with my norba renewal next month? I did get to try out the Kona rep's bike and just maybe I don't want to be seen with that bike in the beginner class.
    Winning begginer class may be fun but you are beating other beginners.... Not much glory there

definitely move up...

I would guess that angelfire was probably the most difficult course you raced.
    The Super T you have is really a very good fork. I'd take that fork over a Fox 40 or a Boxer unless i was entering a fashon contest instead of a race

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Not sure about moving up I have never raced in a norba. 2nd you don't need a nice looking bike for that too. It helps but its only beginers. I just got bumped up for having enough points took me 1 season to do it. I dono if it will take that long over there.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_winner1
    Not sure about moving up I have never raced in a norba. 2nd you don't need a nice looking bike for that too. It helps but its only beginers. I just got bumped up for having enough points took me 1 season to do it. I dono if it will take that long over there.
    Just keep having fun....maybe switch midway through the season
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Doesnt ride Banshees
    if you were placing top 3 in sport class then you should move up to junior x.

WWT
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

NORBA Sucks

Here is the problem with NORBA; they let riders pick their own class. You end up with riders who have been racing the beginner or sport class for years which is pretty weak. I personally don't see the glory of winning a beginner or sport race when the rider has been racing for 4 or 5 seasons. Since NORBA allows riders to do whatever they want, pick the class you think fits you the best.

It would be nice to see NORBA take a more BMX approach; when you reach a certain number of points or wins you move up. That will make it better for true beginners to actual have a fair race with people of the same skill level...instead of racing some average rider who is too scared to step up to sport...NORBA SUCKS! Especially when a beginner rider and a pro rider compete for the same prize!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I suppose that I will move up. I will do Angel Fire as a beginner. I really don't have alot of experience at downhill, then I don't want to keep beating beginners. In my xc races we see beginners smoking the rest of the field on the flatter courses all season. Lap times are faster than some sport racers. I guess there really is no set time when to move up. Depends on how often you ride/race.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    [QUOTE=WWT]Here is the problem with NORBA; they let riders pick their own class. You end up with riders who have been racing the beginner or sport class for years which is pretty weak. I personally don't see the glory of winning a beginner or sport race when the rider has been racing for 4 or 5 seasons. Since NORBA allows riders to do whatever they want, pick the class you think fits you the best.

I hear ya. I heard the same thing. If I were to go to a norba I would not want to throw my money away with the noobs. Have fun challenge your self with riders at your skill level. There is no fun beating down the little people

V10 Freerider
    [QUOTE=Max_winner1]
    Quote Originally Posted by WWT
    Here is the problem with NORBA; they let riders pick their own class. You end up with riders who have been racing the beginner or sport class for years which is pretty weak. I personally don't see the glory of winning a beginner or sport race when the rider has been racing for 4 or 5 seasons. Since NORBA allows riders to do whatever they want, pick the class you think fits you the best.

I hear ya. I heard the same thing. If I were to go to a norba I would not want to throw my money away with the noobs. Have fun challenge your self with riders at your skill level. There is no fun beating down the little people
    NORBA rules actually require that after 5 top five finishes in a season you are supposed to move up a class. They don't monitor it very well but they do have the rules...
    The Super T you have is really a very good fork. I'd take that fork over a Fox 40 or a Boxer unless i was entering a fashon contest instead of a race

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have a question about classes. I'm just starting DH this year and will do a couple at beginner, I've raced BMX for 8 years so I want to start at expert in 4X. Can I race beginner or sport in DH and race expert in 4X ?

New project, TBA shortly
    definitely go up to sport. beginner class is just that, for beginners. especially with a real DH bike, you'll knock 10-15 seconds off your time easy. also, one thing you might want to try is DH clipless pedals. they were the single best bike change that I did, although they're not for everybody. I still only wear them when I race, the rest of the time I'm on flats. hope this helps, and have fun racing, its addictive but not for everybody...

locked - time out
    I say move up if you would otherwise be placing somewhere around mid-field in the class you are contemplating. Sure it's fun to win alot - but it's even better to improve as a rider instead of growing stagnant.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I just may enter Angel Fire in the sport class. At least for me, I like being pushed while in competition. Knowing that someone is somewhere back there. I have no clue what made me decide to start dh racing- but I'm in.