Moving to BC, please Post pictures of North Shore BC stunts:- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Moving to BC, please Post pictures of North Shore BC stunts:

I'm curious as to what north shore BC has to offer for stunts and trails. I'm moving to North Vancouver BC this summer (I feel like the luckiest dude in the world to move there!) and would like to get an idea of what to expect.

I'm starting to think a 8in front and rear Freeride bike might be required. My hardtail can only take so much, or should I say, my body can only take so much of the hardtail, it's stronger than me (and my nutsack, unfortunately). I've been eyeing the Intense Uzzi as a good deal on a sweet FR bike or maybe go with the Kona Deelux to keep it real with the North Shore (can't imagine gow many Kona's are up there!).

Are there any North Shore trails that are just awesome downhill single track without the 10-15ft drops? I would still like to ride up there on my FR hardtail (140mm fork) until I can afford a new bike, so nothing over 8ft drop to nice tranny for me.

JUST ONE GRIPE WITH VANCOUVER:

They have the best/cheapest weed in the world
    They have the best fishing in the world
    They have some of the best snowboarding in the world
    They have the lowest crime rate of North America.
    They have some of the nicest people in the world (I've been around it, Jamaicans and Italians top that list of nice people).

BUT

Heaven forbid that anyone could ever find MEXICAN FOOD!!!! OHH NO!
    I don't know how I could live without Mexican food! No one even knows what it is up there!

I can foresee myself smuggling large quanitities of Tortillas and Beans across the border!

Edit: since I'm moving out of the USA, spelling actually counts! hahaha
    Last edited by MicroHuck; 02-13-2005 at 04:00 PM.

Dec 2003

spellcheck...

Quote Originally Posted by MicroHuck
    Tortias and Beans
    Isn't it "tortillas"?

mtbr member
    anyone know why the intense Uzzi isn't on the MTBR review list?

I was looking at it in person and I love how nicely built it is, very stout and has a nice rough paint job too. I just don't know how it rides. Anyone want to give me an idea of how well the Uzzi rides/holds up?

Dec 2003
    anyone know why the intense Uzzi isn't on the MTBR review list?

I was looking at it in person and I love how nicely built it is, very stout and has a nice rough paint job too. I just don't know how it rides. Anyone want to give me an idea of how well the Uzzi rides/holds up?
    I think it's because no one has actually paid that much for a re-labeled Specialized in a few years...reviews are a few years back, here's the link....

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/bike_full/index_I.shtml

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    there are trails on the shore that don't require huge travel bikes. some members of mtbr who live around there say they actually use enduros and stuff... (I think JimC said that)
    But you will be fine with the HT. Can I come with you?

mtbr member

Some Vancouver Information...

... Yes, you're totally right about mexican food - it's tough to find and often poor quality. There are a few places though, but compared to pretty much anywhere in the lower 48, Vancouver mexican food blows. Also, the selection of tequila available in BC is pathetic. Make sure to bring as much with you as possible. We now have some basic Heradera and Sauza, but that's about it apart from Cuervo.

However, we make up for it with Sushi!!! Lots and lots of yummi, yummi sushi! In fact, we have some of the best japaneese food in the world outside of Japan (and proabably as good as some of the top restaurants in japan). Actually, Asian food in general is awesome in BC. Indian, Thai, Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, etc... It's all great! Actaully, Vancouver has a very very good restaurant scene in general with a huge mixture of styles. Lots of good brewpubs too.

Anyway, you will be more than fine with your hard tail and a 140mm fork. Lots of people use freeride hardtails up here - lots of them with 5-7" travel forks on them. The only place that the hardtail is going to be tough on you is up in Whistler. On the shore however, it won't hold you back that much. Sure, it's nice to jump and drop on a fully, but the precision of a hard tail is touch to beat on the skinnies.

Finally, if you are going to buy a full suspension bike, make sure that it has either a full length seat tube or a seat tube with a diameter large enough to take a telescoping post. Many of the best trails you need to reach with fire road climbs.

Let us know when you arrive!
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

#1 REASON TO MOVE TO VAMSTERDAM

They have the best/cheapest weed in the world

fixed

telemarc
    Jan 2005

Photos of the shore stunts

For pics of all the lower mainland stunts go to gutsploder.com click on the flags on the trails for pics.It's a cool site.(who knows where people find the time to do this stuff)

There's no app for this.

you need

2 bikes, matt's right, I do have an Enduro that I ride on some trails, but for the bigger stuff you need a bigger bike, and at Whistler bike park it's mandatory. Cypress Mtn bike park apparently is to open this year right on the edge of town, Whistler rumoured for April 1 if the snow holds off.

I grabbed what I consider to be the perfect bike, designed for the shore by a shore rider, and hand made from Easton tubes and CNC'd parts and completely done here in Vancouver.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    2 bikes, matt's right, I do have an Enduro that I ride on some trails, but for the bigger stuff you need a bigger bike, and at Whistler bike park it's mandatory. Cypress Mtn bike park apparently is to open this year right on the edge of town, Whistler rumoured for April 1 if the snow holds off.

I grabbed what I consider to be the perfect bike, designed for the shore by a shore rider, and hand made from Easton tubes and CNC'd parts and completely done here in Vancouver.

Jim
    I've been waiting to see a pic of that built up!!! nice ride Jim.
    AlthoughI do agree with you that Knolly is probably the best squishy frame I've seen, Istill cant picture myself climbing with that heavy bike.... I'm a hardtail guy...I like the feel of a hardtail on climbs and descents( which I dont do much of).
    So how much does the bike weigh in at?
    what wheels you have on it? they look like 521s.

There's no app for this.

it's a bit

Quote Originally Posted by wickerman1
    I've been waiting to see a pic of that built up!!! nice ride Jim.
    Although I do agree with you that Knolly is probably the best squishy frame I've seen, Istill cant picture myself climbing with that heavy bike.... I'm a hardtail guy...I like the feel of a hardtail on climbs and descents( which I don't do much of).
    So how much does the bike weigh in at?
    what wheels you have on it? they look like 521s.
    ...on the heavy side, but climbs way better than my Bullits ever did for reasons I don't know. but the weight takes it's toll. Because of the 5th element, it feels like a hardtail on the climbs...zero bob, and the SPV fork helps also. I'll guess it's just over 45lb, haven't tried to weigh it.

The rims are 721s, 521 replacements. I'd hate to run V's on a bike like this, you'd die squeezing the levers.

Later, Jim

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    ...on the heavy side, but climbs way better than my Bullits ever did for reasons I don't know. but the weight takes it's toll. Because of the 5th element, it feels like a hardtail on the climbs...zero bob, and the SPV fork helps also. I'll guess it's just over 45lb, haven't tried to weigh it.

The rims are 721s, 521 replacements. I'd hate to run V's on a bike like this, you'd die squeezing the levers.

Later, Jim
    hahah yeah I'd rather hit trees on the way down to slow me down then trying to stop with vees on it lol maybe you should come up with dual front disc hub Jim.... now thats what that bike needs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Don't worry about the stunts on trails. The most common misconception I've seen from people that have never been to the North Shore is that it's all mandatory 15' drops. The reality is those are few and far between unless you're specifically looking for them. The North Shore is more about gnarly natural terrain, with a smattering of (usually optional) ladder bridges, skinnies and drops thrown in. Tons of people ride hardtails.

hands up who wants to die
    Oh man. that map w/pics of the stunts is total drool material. I have to get to BC this summer.

-r

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Probably the best site for NS trail pics is Gutsploder.

http://www.gutsploder.net/frontpage.htm

Have fun!