Mountaincross/trials frame or bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Mountaincross/trials frame or bike?

What would be a good frame or bike for mountaincross and trials for a good price? I have my gemini which is good for mountaincross but it would be nice to have a small hardtail that can be thrown around easily and that I can beat up in trials.

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigair101
    What would be a good frame or bike for mountaincross and trials for a good price? I have my gemini which is good for mountaincross but it would be nice to have a small hardtail that can be thrown around easily and that I can beat up in trials.
    http://norco.com/05/2005bikes/trials.php
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'm looking to spend about $200 and I already have some old lx parts and wheels and stuff. I have pretty much enough to build a bike. All I would need is a headset.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    get a p.street or the new p.1 cro-mo and buy a front v-brake. those would suit u pretty good
    http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkFami...d348kec.j27008

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderp2
    get a p.street or the new p.1 cro-mo and buy a front v-brake. those would suit u pretty good
    http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkFami...d348kec.j27008
    I don't really thing he would like a p.street. Especially if he is going to use the bike for a bit of trials. The p street is the farthest thing from light and flickable. It feels like crap. I think you should go with the regular aluminum P.2. They are light and flickable and you could do trials on one if you really wanted too.

Yay
    I second the motion on the P2. That would be a great bike for MTX or Trials.

The P2 frame being ridden at the 4X world championships...
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, -WOW- What a ride...!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb care bear

yeah p.2, see if you can pick up a used frame for 200 bucks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Look for any of the '03 and up P series frames. They are all the same and you can pick one up for cheap. Ebay usually has alot of them, I would check there.

And if you want to save up for a bit longer, you might be able to even pick up a p.1 or p.2 on there for $500 +/- a little.

One tubby tubby
    Mar 2004

www.woodmancomponents.com

Check out the woodman D frame. Its fairly burly, and has an adjustable wheelbase from I think 17 inches (like the p series) down to 15.5 or so which would be great for trials. I have the woodman elite which is lighter and only has a 15.5 inch wheelbase...super quality and finish, plus Jim is a super guy to deal with, holler at him or any LBS can order his stuff. You may have to wait a little for a frame, but it'd be worth it.
    BONES HEAL...CHICKS DIG SCARS...GLORY LIVES FOREVER

mtbr member

woodman elite

i also own the elite. great frame for a great price. super light to. i dont know about mtnx on it, but an excellent trialsish framebut more ridable than a dedicated trials frame

l337 |31k3r
    To tell you the truth, I have yet to really head about woodman stuf. Anyone have positive experiance with their Headsets? What about their hubs that have the "v-cups" that change from QR to TA "instantly"

Looks like good stuff. I really like the pedals.
    People call me a dick, but I just think im clever.

Honary member of the
    591 club & 773 club.

Quote Originally Posted by Zedro
    what he meant was 'greaser' types, most likely performing choreographed musical outakes which somehow degrade dirt jumps...

mtbr member

woodman stuff

i know a guy running thier stem and bars, a well as brake boosters, and its all good. as far as all the more "intricate" stuff with bearings and all, i havent heard anythign either.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    What about the azonic ds1?

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb care bear

word
    I dont do trials, but i have an 04 p.2, and it would be great for it, i street ride so thats close enough.
    Its pretty light too.
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

mtbr member

actually....

trials and street and very very very different things. the geometry of a trials bike compared to the geometry of, say, a P2 are quite different. most notably, the chain stays are much longer, which severly affects rear wheel manuverability.

Yay
    We werent talking about a hardcore trials frame. He wanted a frame that you could also use for Mountaincross. The P2 is the best of both worlds for the money, and is a very trustworhty frame.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, -WOW- What a ride...!!!!