MountainCross course around LA / Santa Monica- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. MountainCross course around LA / Santa Monica

Someone know any place for practice MTX / DJ around Los Angeles / Santa Monica ?
    Last edited by nintense; 11-28-2004 at 12:16 PM.

always learning
    Only one I know of, the Whoops at Kenter:

http://content.mtbr.com/pscTrails/Un...4_4520crx.aspx

mtbr member

Thanks buddy

I'll try it tomorrow

Glad to Be Alive
    I heard the whoops are closed

always learning
    <----- They weren't closed on Wednesday.

nintense: what time will you go tomorrow? I may be up there tomorrow early afternoon.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by tgreathead
    <----- They weren't closed on Wednesday.

nintense: what time will you go tomorrow? I may be up there tomorrow early afternoon.
    ranger friday saturday and sunday supposely

always learning
    weird, I haven't heard that. I hadn't been up there in a bit, took a header off the teeter about a month and a half ago, only my second time up since. I have the luxury (and the curse) of working nights right now so I'm trying to go up during the week more often.

shiver me timbers: i've seen that you're also in LA (simi). Do you know any other spots in LA to dj? I'm still learning so the whoops feel really tight to me, whereas I see pictures of many places that are more spread out and not on the edge of a cliff .

PM me if you're trying to keep them low key.

Thanks,
    --Taylor

mtbr member

Good job! I've been there today...

It was awesome...
    I parked neer the gate and walk 10 minutes.

always learning
    Quote Originally Posted by nintense
    It was awesome...
    I parked neer the gate and walk 10 minutes.
    walked? did you bring your bike?

WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?!
    So what's the deal with them, from a purely legal perspective, are they open or closed? Where can I find more info?

(I heard someone mention the "t" word and now I wanna go)
    --Tod

"I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's law; I merely enforce it."

always learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygrounder
    So what's the deal with them, from a purely legal perspective, are they open or closed? Where can I find more info?

from a purely novice layman's perspective, I have no idea.

All I know is I've never had a problem up there on any day of the week. I usually don't go before 1pm because I work at night but I imagine that if they were closed there'd still be rangers then too. I haven't seen any signs anywhere near the whoops to indicate closure so I take that as them being open.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygrounder

I guess some rich kid got hurt and told his dad about an unsupervised biking area...threaten to sue the city and everything else just happened...i really don't know all the facts

always learning
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    I guess some rich kid got hurt and told his dad about an unsupervised biking area...threaten to sue the city and everything else just happened...i really don't know all the facts
    wow, I hadn't heard that. I guess that's all it takes, one freakin idiot to ruin it for everybody. Unless someone knocked him off his bike, I'd say it's your own damn fault you fell.

There are people that have worked up there for years maintaining them, it'd be a shame to see it go to waste.
    Last edited by tgreathead; 11-30-2004 at 06:00 AM.

10 sec. club member
    That I believe happened a while ago and was the rumor that the city was bulldozing or something. Hasnt happened yet. Was up there last Tuesday and will be up there tomorrow. If I see or hear anyting ill post it,otherwise go jump and if you get hurt......drag your ass down the hill then call the ambulance!
    MySpace/IMALLSLO
    SoCals Foes and Kona dealer
    "Its a mystery wrapped in a riddle trapped in an enigma"

Pro Crastinator
    ............. Do you know any other spots in LA to dj? I'm still learning so the whoops feel really tight to me....
    sorry, if you are having trouble at kenter (the easiest place to DJ with the smallest jumps anywhere) you will not have any luck anywhere else. go back and practice...

me personally, i very much dislike the kenter jumps. way too small and easy. not to mention that you pick up speed on a downhill slope but the jumps get progressively smaller...
    (ie: a 5 foot gap into a 4 foot gap into a 3 fot gap into a tabletop into a roller all the time you are picking up speed). who was the idiot who devised this layout. talk about having to seriously drag your brakes all the way through..... sometimes i just go fast and double up the jumps.....

kenter is the place i take all my non jumping friends and they rip the place.....

mtbr member

I walked with my bike all the way up...

to the starting point.
    The gate was locked, but I passed under the gate... I saw few people do it with dogs....

Getting back into it...
    I think that was an old issue as well. From my understanding that land is actually owned by the Getty Foundation and not the city- just what I heard...

Whenever I go up there and see the overzealous XC "racers" or kids that want to try the jumps, I always point them to the small tables before the wall ride and tell them to practice there first. Last thing I want to see is some moron cause himself some serious injury then try to sue everything and everyone and get the place closed down...

I've only been jumping for about 6 months now and love Kenter, but I have to agree with WCH that the jumps are small and tight. I've been trying to think of ways to make some bigger (mainly longer) jumps around the canyon area but still keep the existing lines. Problem is one guy (me) and a shovel take a lot of time to get anything done. Kurt had some ideas to make bigger jumps, but he's gone now...

BTW- anyone that has been up there since Thanksgiving- is the newer tranny on the left side of jump #1 in front of the bench holding up? I worked on that Thanksgiving morning. I'm trying to extend that out a bit because it was so small and short, but I didn't have much water (or time) to get it as built up as I wanted...

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by nintense
    to the starting point.
    The gate was locked, but I passed under the gate... I saw few people do it with dogs....
    the gate is to keep vehicles out, not people......

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanc44
    K had some ideas to make bigger jumps, but he's gone now...
    What happened to K?

S

Getting back into it...
    Kurt is in the reserves- he was activated and heading out to Barstow to do training before heading over to Iraq. He was supposed to head up there mid Nov.

I went up Thanksgiving morning and his wagon and most of his tools were gone, so I figure he's probably in training now and isn't gonna be getting up to Kenter anymore for a long while. It's too bad because we put in a lot of hours with him on that wall (I think he bit off a bit more than he could chew with that one) and other subsequent projects- he was really gung-ho about building.

With Kurt gone, I just hope some of the other regulars pick up a shovel now and then and bring up some water for the jugs that are left.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    What happened to K?

S

Stray Bullet
    Kurt is in the reserves- he was activated and heading out to Barstow to do training before heading over to Iraq. He was supposed to head up there mid Nov.

I went up Thanksgiving morning and his wagon and most of his tools were gone, so I figure he's probably in training now and isn't gonna be getting up to Kenter anymore for a long while. It's too bad because we put in a lot of hours with him on that wall (I think he bit off a bit more than he could chew with that one) and other subsequent projects- he was really gung-ho about building.

With Kurt gone, I just hope some of the other regulars pick up a shovel now and then and bring up some water for the jugs that are left.
    Screw the Whoops! I hope Kurt comes home from Iraq in one piece.

For anyone who has ever met Kurt or ridden the Whoops please keep him in your thoughts. He is a great guy and spent who knows how many hours on that place.

Be safe Kurt!

always learning
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    sorry, if you are having trouble at kenter (the easiest place to DJ with the smallest jumps anywhere) you will not have any luck anywhere else. go back and practice...

me personally, i very much dislike the kenter jumps. way too small and easy. not to mention that you pick up speed on a downhill slope but the jumps get progressively smaller...
    (ie: a 5 foot gap into a 4 foot gap into a 3 fot gap into a tabletop into a roller all the time you are picking up speed). who was the idiot who devised this layout. talk about having to seriously drag your brakes all the way through..... sometimes i just go fast and double up the jumps.....

kenter is the place i take all my non jumping friends and they rip the place.....
    hmmm, I can't tell if you're actually giving me helpful advice or shutting me down. Oh well.

I suck. I admit it. I'm down to try some of the smaller doubles but I wish they were spread out a little more so I can get by bearings before and after I hit them.
    If anyone has any advice let me know, otherwise I'm just here for your entertainment.

Getting back into it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    Screw the Whoops! I hope Kurt comes home from Iraq in one piece. For anyone who has ever met Kurt or ridden the Whoops please keep him in your thoughts. He is a great guy and spent who knows how many hours on that place. Be safe Kurt!
    Yeah, that goes without saying. I praise and give thanks to all the guys and gals that have the balls to be over there getting the job done.

Anyway, I'm trying to do my part up at the whoops to make sure it isn't in ruins when he gets back...

Getting back into it...
    hmmm, I can't tell if you're actually giving me helpful advice or shutting me down. Oh well.

I suck. I admit it. I'm down to try some of the smaller doubles but I wish they were spread out a little more so I can get by bearings before and after I hit them.
    If anyone has any advice let me know, otherwise I'm just here for your entertainment.
    I think it's just sound advice. The only other local "advertised" jump spot is Lindero, and from what I hear they're quite a bit more challenging than Kenter. So I'd probably practice at Kenter for a while. It's all just timing, bike control, and getting into the rythym of the line. Just keep practicing, and when you're up there ask the smooth guys for tips.

Anyway, we all gotta start somewhere. I'm sure there was a time when even WCH thought Kenter was a challenge, right WCH?

always learning
    thanks for the level headed encouragement ryanc44. Whenever I ask guys for advice 99% of the time they say "just f*ckin do it"
    Maybe I should....

Glad to Be Alive
    Maybe somebody should get his email and we can send him pictures of riding

Reels & Wheels

The man, the myth, the shoveling legend

Good luck Kurt & get home soon in one piece!

Pro Crastinator
    ................Anyway, we all gotta start somewhere. I'm sure there was a time when even WCH thought Kenter was a challenge, right WCH?
    i was just offering advise and then my personal thoughts on kenter........

as for me finding kenter difficult, not exactly... i learned to DJ when i was a kid racing bmx, 20 years ago.......
    but yes, i once had no clue on how to hit rhythms. but i just practiced and practiced and practiced (get the picture) it takes lots of dedication, but i can literally go anywhere and hit any jump line. so my patience and practice has paid off. there are no instant secrets........

Pro Crastinator
    only other local "advertised" jump spot is Lindero, and from what I hear they're quite a bit more challenging than Kenter..........
    unless you are down with very tight rhythms, with very steep vertical lips and landings, don't even entertain the idea........
    since the rain, the place has become straight nuts....

Glad to Be Alive

as for me finding kenter difficult, not exactly... i learned to DJ when i was a kid racing bmx, 20 years ago.......
    but yes, i once had no clue on how to hit rhythms. but i just practiced and practiced and practiced (get the picture) it takes lots of dedication, but i can literally go anywhere and hit any jump line. so my patience and practice has paid off. there are no instant secrets........
    it is like this girl I wanted to date...I asked her what the odds of us going out
    she replied million to one
    I started jumping up and down scream yeah yeah yeah
    she ask me why I was so happy
    I said at least I have a chance

always learning
    Thanks. I'm trying to get up there as much as possible. I just get so damn intimidated when I'm up there and there's a line of 10 guys waiting to go. I've been trying to learn by watching but I think I've finally done enough of that.

Schmeow Productions

my buddy finally got the balls to try the first double in front of the tent (after the wall ride) and because they are so tight he tried to stop before the second one and went over the lip and into the landing... got a broken wrist...

and if there is anyone that saw it please PM me, especially the guys that helped him back to his house...

always learning
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    my buddy finally got the balls to try the first double in front of the tent (after the wall ride) and because they are so tight he tried to stop before the second one and went over the lip and into the landing... got a broken wrist...
    thanks dude, that really helps.

seriously though, my buddy cut open his shin one of the first times we went up, cost him $100 copay at the hospital. From that day the price of treatment and loss of time from falling got me almost fully padded: full face, knee/shin, elbow, getting wrist guards this week, and hopefully my wife buys the pressure suit I asked for this christmas. She hates that I ride but she helps any way she can. I know falling is inevitable, I'd just rather be padded and get right back on the bike to try again.

Reels & Wheels

Kenter

Thanks. I'm trying to get up there as much as possible. I just get so damn intimidated when I'm up there and there's a line of 10 guys waiting to go. I've been trying to learn by watching but I think I've finally done enough of that.
    Don't get intimidated by other guys riding there. Everyone is cool. Due your thing. Everyone starts sometime.

Getting back into it...
    It's all good. I'm always keep my ear open when you're spouting jump wisdom and advice. And like I said, even though I'm still fairly new at the DJ thing, I agree with your evaluation of Kenter.

as for me finding kenter difficult, not exactly... i learned to DJ when i was a kid racing bmx, 20 years ago....... but yes, i once had no clue on how to hit rhythms. but i just practiced and practiced and practiced (get the picture) it takes lots of dedication, but i can literally go anywhere and hit any jump line. so my patience and practice has paid off. there are no instant secrets........
    I just started jumping about 6 months ago, and I'm a firm believer in the practice, practice, practice philosophy. I'd love to eventually be able to go anywhere and hit any line, but I see some of the stuff out there that the young guys are hitting and then I think I should just stick around Kenter for a while and not hurt myself...

Getting back into it...
    unless you are down with very tight rhythms, with very steep vertical lips and landings, don't even entertain the idea........
    since the rain, the place has become straight nuts....
    You have any pics of Lindero post rain?

Getting back into it...
    Yeah, don't sweat it. So far most everybody I've met up there is pretty mellow. There's been a couple of "too cool for skool" guys, but whatever... I've been trying to go up there early Saturday mornings- it's usually pretty quiet, but obviously will start to get crowded around 10 or so.

tep
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Feb 2004
    Yeah count me in on this one. I suck at DJ'ing too. For me it's more of a 'fear of falling' than anything else. My work is outdoors and physcal and so that is one, I've got a bad neck and afraid of endoing is number two, but when I do some of the smaller ones it feels sooooo sweet!! I will keep going back. One day I'll get there. It's definitely practice, practice, practice. Because then the jumps don't seem as imtimidating after a while.

Kurtis did a lot of work up there. May he return to his 'baby' soon.

tep

Schmeow Productions
    thanks dude, that really helps.

seriously though, my buddy cut open his shin one of the first times we went up, cost him $100 copay at the hospital. From that day the price of treatment and loss of time from falling got me almost fully padded: full face, knee/shin, elbow, getting wrist guards this week, and hopefully my wife buys the pressure suit I asked for this christmas. She hates that I ride but she helps any way she can. I know falling is inevitable, I'd just rather be padded and get right back on the bike to try again.
    sry dude, that wasn't aimed at u... just my buddy wants to thank the guys that helped him out, that's all.

i still need to try the double, i am afraid of what my friend did and going over the bars... other wise i would do it. drops and wallrides are no problem though (well, 6-8 feet tops... lol)

Lolligagger
    BTW- anyone that has been up there since Thanksgiving- is the newer tranny on the left side of jump #1 in front of the bench holding up? I worked on that Thanksgiving morning. I'm trying to extend that out a bit because it was so small and short, but I didn't have much water (or time) to get it as built up as I wanted...
    Hey ryanc44, I'm not against people digging up there, but be careful when you are extending that tranny on jump #1. It will cause a lip and a lot of people transfer over from the right side of jump #1 to the left side of the tranny to line up the second jump. Just my .02. If you ever need help, pm me and I'll be glad to lend a hand.

Getting back into it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wadsworth McStackton
    Hey ryanc44, I'm not against people digging up there, but be careful when you are extending that tranny on jump #1. It will cause a lip and a lot of people transfer over from the right side of jump #1 to the left side of the tranny to line up the second jump. Just my .02. If you ever need help, pm me and I'll be glad to lend a hand.
    Thanks for the heads up Wadsworth. I don't think I built it up that far up or out to give anybody transferring across any problems. Funny, I never see guys doing a right to left transfer. I see people actually going off the bigger left side and transferring over to the right because the left side of the tranny was soo small and short- whatever...

I personally would love to build up the right side of jump #1 a little bit, though I hesitate because I don't want to discourage people that are learning by making the first jump bigger. But then again that's what the table tops above the wall ride are for

I'll be up there tomorrow morning to jump- If I'm not too tired I may hang around and throw some dirt around. But when I get in serious shovel mode I'll PM ya...

One thing you can do (and any other Kenter regulars reading this thread) is maybe bring up an extra water bottle and dump it into the sparklets bottles up there. Or maybe on your way out, dump any leftover water from your camelbaks into the jugs. Since Kurt took his fire hydrant key and I don't have one, that's probably the only way we're going to get any build water up there...