Mountain Cycle Sin Good or bad?- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

Mountain Cycle Sin Good or bad?

I am trying to build a new ride for summer and am interested in this frame. Is the frame going to be flexy without anyswing link of additional linkage on the single pivot? Also should I upgrade to the 5th element or stick with the Fox Vanilla RC Propedal? Any input on this frame would be appreciated. This frame is being built for sothern cali riding with shuttle runs during the summer(for shock decision).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I didn't like it

I tried out a Sin demo bike last fall. It may have been different from the final production version. I actually hated the way it rode -- steering was way too steep, felt out-of-balance, and that was on pavement. It felt so weird, I refused to ride it on the skinnys and drops on our local trail, and the rest of the group fought over who had to ride it. We usually ride Norcos, Big Hits, Bullits, etc, and everybody hated the way the Sin felt. I sincerely hope they changed it, the specs on the website sound good so maybe they did. But I would *highly* recommend test riding one before buying.

As for single pivots, the concept is solid -- Bullits and Geminis work fine with no additional linkages (as long as you like how a single pivot rides -- not very supple but light).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Never ridden one, but the black one in the classifieds looks HOT.

Jan 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by watermoccasin
    I tried out a Sin demo bike last fall. It may have been different from the final production version. I actually hated the way it rode -- steering was way too steep, felt out-of-balance, and that was on pavement. It felt so weird, I refused to ride it on the skinnys and drops on our local trail, and the rest of the group fought over who had to ride it. We usually ride Norcos, Big Hits, Bullits, etc, and everybody hated the way the Sin felt. I sincerely hope they changed it, the specs on the website sound good so maybe they did. But I would *highly* recommend test riding one before buying.

As for single pivots, the concept is solid -- Bullits and Geminis work fine with no additional linkages (as long as you like how a single pivot rides -- not very supple but light).
    I think I will keep my Yeti ASX. I wanted to try the Sin but with that kind of reply I will wait to get one in the shop for a test ride.

Sin Rider
    Jan 2004

Mountain Cycle SIN

Quote Originally Posted by incubus
    Never ridden one, but the black one in the classifieds looks HOT.
    I test road one and felt great. It has the perfect geometry for a free ride frame. The rear end is very stiff and looks of frame is killer. All the welds on frame are very well done. The one in the classified add is a steal plus it comes with Saint crank set and Thompson post.