Mountain Cross Tires & Rims- Mtbr.com
    Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004

New question here. Mountain Cross Tires & Rims

What rim, tire, & tire size are you running? I'm thinking about racing MTX next year, and I want to know what most people are running. I'm thinking abour Sun Single Track with Kenda K-Rad or Nevegal 2.35. Also, do you think a folding bead would be o.k. instead of wire bead so I can save weight?

DOWNHILL MAFIA

mtx

key factors to consider for MTX tires:
    light weight Vs. durability (same applies for wheelset)
    low rolling resistance Vs. cornering grip
    ..your answer lies somewhere in the middle

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    uuhhhhh.......yeah. Nothing useful there, but if you ride MTX or DS, your rim & tire selection would be helpful

mtbr member
    I'm not a MTX racer, but I think the Nevegal would be a good choice. K-Rads are more street/dirt tires (they are semi-knobbed BMX tires), they corner not so well. Rims: Single Track, or check Arrow Racing rims also...

Coldfire
    LIVE FREE
    BE BRAVE
    RIDE HARD

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldfire
    I'm not a MTX racer, but I think the Nevegal would be a good choice. K-Rads are more street/dirt tires (they are semi-knobbed BMX tires), they corner not so well. Rims: Single Track, or check Arrow Racing rims also...

Coldfire
    Rhyno light rims or Mavic D521 or whatever they are calling them these days.
    I like the maxxis tires....I use a Larson TT on the rear and Mobster on the front if it's hardpacked...highrollers if it's loose. It it's a rock hard course...I've run a 2.0 semislick on the rear. It's all about the course what tires ya pick....but light weight, fast rolling is a good start.

DOWNHILL MAFIA

No good uhhhhhhhhh whatever MR UNGRATEFUL

Quote Originally Posted by hbfrdh1
    uuhhhhh.......yeah. Nothing useful there, but if you ride MTX or DS, your rim & tire selection would be helpful
    THE INFORMATION I GAVE YOU WAS TO HELP YOU MAKE A DECISION. IF YOU DO NOT RESPECT THE INFO THEN DONT PUT IT DOWN. SIMPLY IGNORE IT.
    SINCE YOU DON'T APPRECIATE THE POINTERS I GAVE YOU, AND YOU NEED SPECIFIC DIRECTIONS ON HOW TO SET UP A BIKE, THEN GO GET YOURSELF SOME HALO RIMS ON HOPE HUBS SLAP SOME 2.1 TIRES ON.
    FINDING THE RIGHT COMPONENTS FOR YOU BIKE IS A PERSONAL PREFERENCE, DONE THROUGH TRIAL AND ERROR, AND A BIT OF RESEARCH. ESPECIALLY FOR RACING, YOU NEED TO RESEARCH PRODUCTS AND THEIR SPECIFIC USE, FOR YOU WILL NOT WIN ANY MTX RACES BY ASKING DUMB QUESTIONS ON MTBR. PERSONALLY, SINGLETRACKS AND KENDAS ARE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE MTX FOOD CHAIN.

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Wow, who pissed in your wheaties?

l337 |31k3r
    Quote Originally Posted by JSUN
    THE INFORMATION I GAVE YOU WAS TO HELP YOU MAKE A DECISION. IF YOU DO NOT RESPECT THE INFO THEN DONT PUT IT DOWN. SIMPLY IGNORE IT.
    SINCE YOU DON'T APPRECIATE THE POINTERS I GAVE YOU, AND YOU NEED SPECIFIC DIRECTIONS ON HOW TO SET UP A BIKE, THEN GO GET YOURSELF SOME HALO RIMS ON HOPE HUBS SLAP SOME 2.1 TIRES ON.
    FINDING THE RIGHT COMPONENTS FOR YOU BIKE IS A PERSONAL PREFERENCE, DONE THROUGH TRIAL AND ERROR, AND A BIT OF RESEARCH. ESPECIALLY FOR RACING, YOU NEED TO RESEARCH PRODUCTS AND THEIR SPECIFIC USE, FOR YOU WILL NOT WIN ANY MTX RACES BY ASKING DUMB QUESTIONS ON MTBR. PERSONALLY, SINGLETRACKS AND KENDAS ARE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE MTX FOOD CHAIN.
    Do you want a soooddaa?

Possibly he did not get it?
    People call me a dick, but I just think im clever.

Honary member of the
    591 club & 773 club.

Quote Originally Posted by Zedro
    what he meant was 'greaser' types, most likely performing choreographed musical outakes which somehow degrade dirt jumps...

LT1
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

...I'll help you...

...although your question is still missing some information, I'll answer based relatively on the components you asked about and keeping in mind the weight issue...

Front Rims:

Usually if you are running a 4" or 5" fork, you can get away with a lighter duty rim. I've raced with Ryno Lites in the front (although I don't recommend them now unless you are really on a budget, there are better rims in the same catagory without having to spend a ton of money).

For the front, I would suggest either a Mavic XM321 i.e. F219 or Sun Singletrac. If you want strength, too, you'll have to run Mavic XM 729 i.e. Mavic D321, Sun Doubletrac, or Intense Mag 30.

If you are running a 9mm front hub, use XT. It's inexpensive, reliable, and easy to maintain. If you are running a 20mm front hub, use the Formula or the Marzocchi 20mm hubs, again, they are relatively inexpensive and perform very well.

Rear Rims:

I generally use a heavier rim in the back, no matter if it's a HT or FS bike. Although for a HT for sure you should run a heavier rim, on an FS you might be able to get away with a lighter rim but not much more than 1 season. No Ryno Lites, I've destroyed these hitting curbs the wrong way...

If you are running full suspension and weight is really an issue but cost isn't, then run a Mavic XM321 i.e. F219 or Sun Singletrac. They might last a few races and maybe 1 season but that is it - expect to be replacing it after 1 season.

For more strength, I would recommend Mavic XM 729 i.e. Mavic D321, Sun Doubletrac, or Intense Mag 30.

I have used the Doubletracs and Mag 30, they hold up very well but can be tricky wheels to build and true.

For rear hubs, if you are running a 135/10 QR rear, then use Shimano XT hubs. Again, inexpensive, reliable, and easy to maintain. If you need something else, like 135/10 thruaxle, 135/12 thruaxle, or 150/12 thruaxle, you will probably have to go with hibs from AC, Ringle, Hadley, or King. These are significantly more expensive but you do get what you pay for.

Tires:

I've used Tioga DH, WTB Motoraptors, and Maxxis High Rollers. I didn't care for the High Rollers that much, just personal preference. The Tioga's are a compromise for most conditions, if I am not sure what to run, I'll always use a pair of these. The Motoraptors are best for hardpack or street, not much good for anything else. The WTB Weirwolfs (if they are still being made) are generally more preferred. I don't know if WTB is still making these, whatever their latest equivalents are ? The only Kenda's I've tried are the OEM Kenda Kinetics (not a bad all around tire either) or an earlier Kenda Stick-E rubber type (I can't remember the model). Very sticky but rolls really slowly.

It's true, tires are really personal preference. I'd suggest you try a Tioga 2.35 DH front and a Tioga 2.1 DH rear, both with a kevlar bead and FAT66 casing and see how you like them. They are very widely available and don't cost that much and they are relatively light. I'd suggest these first because they are relatively inexpensive, if you don't like them, it won't be that much to throw away.

If you have an opportunity to test ride bikes with other tires, I'd suggest this as well.