Motocross gear OK for DH?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Motocross gear OK for DH?

Is a motocross chest protector OK for riding DH, extreme terrain and stuff? Or would it be too heavy or restricting or something. Seems that it would provide very good protection.

Thanks,
    Terry

mtbr member
    i've never worn one, but i think it would do. It may just be an overkill, but you can def. use it.

mtbr member
    my friend wheres one when hes downhilling. its like the kind that protexcts you from rocks shot up from other people.
    IS THIS SOMETHING YOU CAN SHARE WITH THE REST OF US AMAZING LARRY ?!?!?!

aircooled VW FTW

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by elder_mtber
    Is a motocross chest protector OK for riding DH, extreme terrain and stuff? Or would it be too heavy or restricting or something. Seems that it would provide very good protection.

Thanks,
    Terry
    No, they don't work near as well as a "soft" suit like Dianese and Rockgardn. The MX guards are for roost, but they're still going to protect you, just not near as well. Plus you look like a ****ing douche wearing one on a DH course.
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

Loves His Sunday
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSherpa
    No, they don't work near as well as a "soft" suit like Dianese and Rockgardn. The MX guards are for roost, but they're still going to protect you, just not near as well. Plus you look like a ****ing douche wearing one on a DH course.
    Who cares what you look like. MX is my life and I ride DH/FR for fun. I would never spend extra $$$ on "mtb specific gear" I go 10X bigger on my MX bike than on my MTB while going much faster on a much heavier bike usually surrounded by other people doing the same. If it can protect me here than it can protect me while I'm mtbing. And it's not restrictive at all.
    SAYNDESYN on the Iron Horse Sunday,

"There is no weekness. It is the bike that Jesus built after he gave up carpentry."

Just roll it......
    Plus you look like a ****ing douche wearing one on a DH course.
    Who gives a f*ck how you look on a DH course, unless you're 15 trying to look cool with the other posers??

Yes, MX stuff will work in a pinch but, in particular, a chest protector is going to be less flexy so it might be uncomfortable while pedaling. Also, if you wear a pack (e.g. camelback) when you ride, they usually usually don't fit over those as well as a softer chest protectors like 661, rockgardn, dianese, etc.

I have a several buddies that now ride with DOT helmets racing and riding the park for the extra protection. Due to the weight and heat, I've yet to succumb to a DOT helmet, but it certainly makes sense when you're ripping at 40+ mph. I've still got a bike-specific helmet FF helmet since I usually need to ride up with my gear and my pack is often loaded with pads and other crap.

Cheers,
    EBX
    NOrth shORe rEpReSeNt....

me like bikes
    Oct 2005
    motocross gear is the sh*t! i would wear a chest protector while doing dh! i've see pics and vids of people doing so. i would trust my motocross gear over some mtn. bike helmets and other gear. it doesnt restrict your movement because you have to move just as much on a dirtbike. i wear full Troy Lee gear when i race MX. i say go for it. i would rather look funny to a few people than laying in bed wishing i would have worn my gear.

TNC
    noMAD man

Not true.

This comes up every time we discuss armor on this forum. Just like the fact that all MTB armor is not created equal, not all moto armor is created equal either. I've posted this so many times, and I don't know how to make a link, so I'm not going to repeat it. There's are numerous long posts about this, and one is located not too far down the post history from here under a post that has "hardshell" in the title.

I would agree that something like a high end Dainese or Rockgarden suit is slightly better in total protection, but there are high end moto setups that also offer a much higher protection level from those sets that many refer to as "roost guards". I'm a little surprised that many MTB riders think that moto guys don't want as much protection as they can get just like bicycle riders want. The problem with body heat is a little more critical obviously to the moto folks because they ride for longer periods than a DH or FR rider...in most cases. This is where MTB and moto body armor has their greater differences. The funny thing is that some of us MTB riders want to wear some real body armor too for longer rides, and you just can't do that with the high end Dainese or other similar products...unless it's in the arctic.

And then there's this other ideology of style that seems to drive many MTB folk to totally shun something that will work but is not clearly identified as MTB gear. I don't understand this type of thinking within such a small box, but it does exist...maybe within a small head.

Anyway, there is MX/moto gear that will work for MTB, just make sure that is has impact absorption points built into the armor, and that it's not just a collection of plastic panels bradded together. I always recognize and defer to the quality evident in many of the high end MTB setups like Dainese and such, but it you want lighter and more breathable protection for your needs then some of the quality high end MX/moto stuff will work quite well regardless of the naysayers.

Here are some pics showing the energy absorbing qualities that do exist in some MX style armor.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TNC; 01-14-2006 at 12:26 PM. Reason: text

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    This comes up every time we discuss armor on this forum. Just like the fact that all MTB armor is not created equal, not all moto armor is created equal either. I've posted this so many times, and I don't know how to make a link, so I'm not going to repeat it. There's are numerous long posts about this, and one is located not too far down the post history from here under a post that has "hardshell" in the title.

I would agree that something like a high end Dainese or Rockgarden suit is slightly better in total protection, but there are high end moto setups that also offer a much higher protection level from those sets that many refer to as "roost guards". I'm a little surprised that many MTB riders think that moto guys don't want as much protection as they can get just like bicycle riders want. The problem with body heat is a little more critical obviously to the moto folks because they ride for longer periods than a DH or FR rider...in most cases. This is where MTB and moto body armor has there greater differences. The funny thing is that some of us MTB riders want to wear some real body armor too for longer rides, and you just can't do that with the high end Dainese or other similar products...unless it's in the arctic.

And then there's this other ideology of style that seems to drive many MTB folk to totally shun something that will work but is not clearly identified as MTB gear. I don't understand this type of thinking within such a small box, but it does exist...maybe within a small head.

Anyway, there is MX/moto gear that will work for MTB, just make sure that is has impact absorption points built into the armor, and that it's not just a collection of plastic panels bradded together. I always recognize and defer to the quality evident in many of the high end MTB setups like Dainese and such, but it you want lighter and more breathable protection for your needs then some of the quality high end MX/moto stuff will work quite well regardless of the naysayers.

Here are some pics showing the energy absorbing qualities that do exist in some MX style armor.
    Wow, you learn something new everyday. That kind of armor would work well, with the foam and what not. But, you must remember on a MX course your landing on dirt, not hitting trees, sharp rocks, and it looks like it could restrict movement.

And on the looks thing, you look ****ing stupid wearing a MX protector to ride a DH bike. Everyone cares what they look like, and you like a poser wearing a MX guard. We race DH, not MX. I honestly don't care what anyone wears, but I'll never wear one and if you decide to wear one, wear it under your jersey.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004

I would agree that something like a high end Dainese or Rockgarden suit is slightly better in total protection, but there are high end moto setups that also offer a much higher protection level from those sets that many refer to as "roost guards". I'm a little surprised that many MTB riders think that moto guys don't want as much protection as they can get just like bicycle riders want. The problem with body heat is a little more critical obviously to the moto folks because they ride for longer periods than a DH or FR rider...in most cases. This is where MTB and moto body armor has their greater differences. The funny thing is that some of us MTB riders want to wear some real body armor too for longer rides, and you just can't do that with the high end Dainese or other similar products...unless it's in the arctic.

All that being said don't be surprised when you start seeing more of the "Flak Jacket" type jackets showing up in your Moto shops and at local MX courses. I know for a fact that certain MTB Armour companies have been approached by MX riders/shops regarding the complete coverage advantage that the Flak Jacket type armour provides. Alot of MX shops/riders that have tried them have commented on how much more comfortable and prtected they feel wearing the MTB stuff compared to the old skool styling of the MX gear. Don't beleive me check this...http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/reviews/flak/

650 yay area
    You are no better than a queer if you wear moto armor riding. I spit on those people.

Bum Buzzer

Thanks,
    Terry
    They work, are good for taking some smacks, but body armor jackets offer better protection.

Some people swear by them. and 661 used to make them for MTB (maybe they still do?)

banned
    Lot's of people wear MX stuff in BMX.

I had this Bombshell chest protector that was mostly a kevlar foam thing.

It was ok... I'd rather fall and live with the pain than be restricted though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I saw cedric gracia with a moto chest portecter thing on a training run at les gets

mtbr member
    I'd recommend: an MX Helmet like the Fox Tracer but bodyarmour like Dainese Galdiator Jacket or something else. For knee/shin protection I'd recommend something like the race face Shinguards ! The real MX Stuff is not flexible and not light enough to be fully mobile and being protected on a DH bike....

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kadvang
    You are no better than a queer if you wear moto armor riding. I spit on those people.
    Good stuff, and very true

Schmeow Productions
    i wear my dianese when i mx... and when i ski really fast.

i would rather wear this than the plastic mx roost guard like tnc has... although it did save me from being skewered by my handle bar once.

Florida Rider
    just get ssum footballer padzors and a footballer helmut and your good to go!

TNC
    noMAD man

MX course? That's for sissies!

Wow, you learn something new everyday. That kind of armor would work well, with the foam and what not. But, you must remember on a MX course your landing on dirt, not hitting trees, sharp rocks, and it looks like it could restrict movement.

And on the looks thing, you look ****ing stupid wearing a MX protector to ride a DH bike. Everyone cares what they look like, and you like a poser wearing a MX guard. We race DH, not MX. I honestly don't care what anyone wears, but I'll never wear one and if you decide to wear one, wear it under your jersey.
    LOL!...Well, maybe not. Actually it's used by desert and enduro racers too...that's mostly the type of stuff I did/do. Thanks for the warning on the style advice. I'll be sure to pull of the trail really quickly when I see you coming.

TNC
    noMAD man

Queer?

What's the matter sweetheart?...you got something against "our" kind? Why just the other day down at the bus station, our crew was talking about how cool this moto gear is and how hot we look in a pair of big, burly MX boots, MX body armor, and a thong. You're just not with it, man!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    here are the guys i love to roost at the ski parks in the summer...bicycles are just for fun..dirtbikes are for real
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

650 yay area
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantane
    here are the guys i love to roost at the ski parks in the summer...bicycles are just for fun..dirtbikes are for real
    Check out this website: http://216.220.97.17/

Nambla is right up your alley.

what a joke
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    All that being said don't be surprised when you start seeing more of the "Flak Jacket" type jackets showing up in your Moto shops and at local MX courses. I know for a fact that certain MTB Armour companies have been approached by MX riders/shops regarding the complete coverage advantage that the Flak Jacket type armour provides. Alot of MX shops/riders that have tried them have commented on how much more comfortable and prtected they feel wearing the MTB stuff compared to the old skool styling of the MX gear. Don't beleive me check this...http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/reviews/flak/
    The head on crash video is pretty harsh.
    blah blah blah

650 yay area
    What's the matter sweetheart?...you got something against "our" kind? Why just the other day down at the bus station, our crew was talking about how cool this moto gear is and how hot we look in a pair of big, burly MX boots, MX body armor, and a thong. You're just not with it, man!
    Are you hitting on me?

Welcoming Doormat
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Who gives a f*ck how you look on a DH course, unless you're 15 trying to look cool with the other posers??

NOrth shORe rEpReSeNt....
    im 15................and im soooo mukh kooler than you im so kool i dont even have to spell wright.......thats how kool i am - too kool for "c's" its all bout the "KILLER K"
    A Proud Member of The Zombie Killer Squadron "we kill zombies dead"

TNC
    noMAD man
    Hey, Red, the guy in that pic wearing the armor looks a little like SMT...LOL!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantane
    cool. then go to a moto site.

chest protectors generally do not work as well as dainese or 661 bike armor, plus you look like a dumba$$. don't do it. you will get laughed at in the lift lines and people will hate you for being so dumb. i think the above guy has done it which is why he's so mad at the world.

Team

Thanks,
    Terry
    I use a Thor Motocross Chest Protector and it works pretty good I would ahve to say so myself.

its just a mountain
    "in mx you're falling on dirt" I've been racing hare scrambles(XC) and enduros since I was 6. I've alwasy worn 'mx' style chest protectors. I've also hit everything there is to hit w/ one on: solid limestone, boulders, rocks, palmettoes, gravel, clay, handlebars, etc. I've had people hit me and I've hit people on numerous occasions. I have yet to break a bone in my body.

All that is to say, they offer plenty good protection for anything that you might hit.
    Forever condemned to Florida, land of small mountains and year round riding

banned

Thanks,
    Terry

MX Gear works perfectly. In fact, it works better. As far as a chest protector being restricting, it isn't. You move at least as much on a motocross bike as you do riding DH. I would wear it, it is better that DH gear. While your at it, buy a good mx helmet, they weigh a little more, but the protection is far better. I wear a Fox Helmet for DH and it works great. DH gear seems cheap to me.
    Last edited by kawboy8; 01-15-2006 at 04:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kawboy8
    MX Gear works perfectly. In fact, it works better. As far as a chest protector being restricting, it isn't. You move at least as much on a motocross bike as you do riding DH. I would wear it, it is better that DH gear. While your at it, buy a good mx helmet, they weigh a little more, but the protection is far better. I wear a Fox Helmet for DH and it works great. DH gear seems cheap to me.
    yup, well said
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by matt
    cool. then go to a moto site.

chest protectors generally do not work as well as dainese or 661 bike armor, plus you look like a dumba$$. don't do it. you will get laughed at in the lift lines and people will hate you for being so dumb. i think the above guy has done it which is why he's so mad at the world.
    Matt,

So you wish you were Canadian... eh? Well, I've ridden every couple of weeks at arguably the best bike park in North America (maybe the world) for the last half decade......and had a season's pass there for the last 4 seasons.

Guys and gals ride up there wearing whatever the f*ck they want. Often times, the dudes wearing the most ghetto stuff (on the most abused bikes) rip the hardest and it's usually just the opposite for dudes in their lame-ass matching TLD gear on Demo's that their parents bought them. Get a grip....

EBX

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Matt,

So you wish you were Canadian... eh? Well, I've ridden every couple of weeks at arguably the best bike park in North America (maybe the world) for the last half decade......and had a season's pass there for the last 4 seasons.

Guys and gals ride up there wearing whatever the f*ck they want. Often times, the dudes wearing the most ghetto stuff (on the most abused bikes) rip the hardest and it's usually just the opposite for dudes in their lame-ass matching TLD gear on Demo's that their parents bought them. Get a grip....

EBX
    Wow, is this place a secret? What's it called? I think I've been there too.

Dude, how about you get a grip. This forum is a joke. I was joking.
    Was the "dudes in their lame-ass matching TLD gear on Demo's that their parents bought them" a shot at me? Maybe, because I did ride a Demo, although I didn't have TLD gear (I wish I did), and I did buy my own bike.

Anyone who takes stuff seriously on here is a dumb a$$ and deserves to be roosted in the lift line.
    Last edited by matt; 01-15-2006 at 07:20 PM.

Just roll it......
    Wow, is this place a secret? What's it called? I think I've been there too.

Dude, how about you get a grip. This forum is a joke. I was joking.
    Was the "dudes in their lame-ass matching TLD gear on Demo's that their parents bought them" a shot at me? Maybe, because I did ride a Demo, although I didn't have TLD gear (I wish I did), and I did buy my own bike.

Anyone who takes stuff seriously on here is a dumb a$$ and deserves to be roosted in the lift line.
    Wow, you ARE smart enough to recognize a shot across your bow. Nice job, Matt.....I didn't think you had it in ya!

See you in Canada.
    EBX

mtbr member
    woot...i wish i was as cool as you

im 15 but i still need my c's :'(

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Wow, you ARE smart enough to recognize a shot across your bow. Nice job, Matt.....I didn't think you had it in ya!

See you in Canada.
    EBX
    Okay, I'll see you at the secret bike park. Look for the kid on the Demo in full TLD gear.
    -Matt

TNC
    noMAD man

I'll be riding this!

Okay, I'll see you at the secret bike park. Look for the kid on the Demo in full TLD gear.
    -Matt
    But I don't have any TLD gear.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    But I don't have any TLD gear.
    nice, is that the limited edition fan bike?

also, to roll with EBXTREME's crew you can look ghetto, but you need to atleast get some longer shorts. his homies may be poor, but they aren't ghey.

New project, TBA shortly
    Just as a note, my only real concern with the Roost guards was the side and lower back protection. I wore one my first couple years DH'ing, and it protected me extremely well, including protecting me from getting impaled on a pointed branch sticking straight up. I especially like the design on the shoulders, as it tends to distribute the force much better than the "plastic cup and padding" design of the DH designs.

The only real worrisome aspects of them are the complete lack of any lower back protection (and sides, but even the Rockgardn/Dianese don't protect there very well either). Dunno, the aspect of slamming into a tree and possibly having spinal issues made me switch to the Rockgardn, and haven't had a complaint yet (through numerous crashes).

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Good point, but...

Quote Originally Posted by dante
    Just as a note, my only real concern with the Roost guards was the side and lower back protection. I wore one my first couple years DH'ing, and it protected me extremely well, including protecting me from getting impaled on a pointed branch sticking straight up. I especially like the design on the shoulders, as it tends to distribute the force much better than the "plastic cup and padding" design of the DH designs.

The only real worrisome aspects of them are the complete lack of any lower back protection (and sides, but even the Rockgardn/Dianese don't protect there very well either). Dunno, the aspect of slamming into a tree and possibly having spinal issues made me switch to the Rockgardn, and haven't had a complaint yet (through numerous crashes).

(TNC posting under TexHeckler) I never ride without a Camelback. I've flown off my bike who knows how many times, and the Camelback has been my spine protector. But you're absolutely right, if you don't wear a Camelback, it's more of an issue. I fully realize most people would not do a DH race or such with a Camelback, but any other time I want water...or tequila. My MX body armor pictured here does have a fairly large panel of energy absorbing foam in the back. The inner most sides offer the least protection, and to some degree I guess that applies to most armor.

mtbr member
    I got a Fox V3 helmet for christmas. I've only used it once because of the snow ( u lucky southern americans) but it seemed to be good for biking.

New project, TBA shortly
    Ya, would wear a camelbak as well, but it still didn't come down anywhere near low enough for me. The rockgardn probably protects 8-10" of spine that the moto guard (and camelbak) didn't cover. Fear of a lower spinal injury was probably the #1 thing that made me switch.

Quote Originally Posted by texheckler
    (TNC posting under TexHeckler) I never ride without a Camelback. I've flown off my bike who knows how many times, and the Camelback has been my spine protector. But you're absolutely right, if you don't wear a Camelback, it's more of an issue. I fully realize most people would not do a DH race or such with a Camelback, but any other time I want water...or tequila. My MX body armor pictured here does have a fairly large panel of energy absorbing foam in the back. The inner most sides offer the least protection, and to some degree I guess that applies to most armor.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DHbiker
    I use a Thor Motocross Chest Protector and it works pretty good I would ahve to say so myself.
    I agree. I can fit a hydration pack over it if I need to.
    -Skimming the successpool of corporate America-

I lean like a cholo!

Queer Eye

Queer Eye for the bike guy! You simply can not look FABULOUS! in moto gear on a DH course!
    ...and I used my strength to rip my blouse...

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    just my .02:
    I wear a Thor chest protector, Knee guards and leathers , Fly MX helmut, and MX gloves when I DH race. Last year I went over the bars in a big rock garden and jumped right back on the bike without a scratch. Fashion? who cares...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    MX Clamshells work fine for FR/DH. I have seen plenty of good riders using them. And if you think they look ghey, you've never seen the hot chicks at Whistler wearing them over a sports bra.

Dainese jackets were developed for motorcycle racing. They are not bike-specific.

My arm hurts a little

Do

Do what you want!
    Last edited by #1ORBUST; 01-18-2006 at 09:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    But, you must remember on a MX course your landing on dirt, not hitting trees, sharp rocks,
    ive hit trees and rocks on my motocycle

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Wink

Wow, what a controversy!

I am unconcerned by DH fashion (spit, roost, laugh), but was interested in comments regarding safety and function.

I appreciate all the responses, including the humorous (unintended?) ones.

Looks like I'm going with MX gear.

Thanks,
    Terry - former Maico 250 racer

The Lincoln Woods Crew
    My fox roost protector saved my ass at Diablo this past summer.Fell of a bridge and landed chest first onto a pile of boulders and walked away.Would of been getting carried
    away if i wasnt wearing it.
    "I push bike up and ride it down"

TNC
    noMAD man

Wow, "elder" is right!

Wow, what a controversy!

I am unconcerned by DH fashion (spit, roost, laugh), but was interested in comments regarding safety and function.

I appreciate all the responses, including the humorous (unintended?) ones.

Looks like I'm going with MX gear.

Thanks,
    Terry - former Maico 250 racer
    Man, you must be old...a 250 Maico?...LOL! Yeah, I raced my Husky against a few Maicos back in the day.

It's funny how this armor debate always rages on.

Glad to Be Alive
    Man, you must be old...a 250 Maico?...LOL! Yeah, I raced my Husky against a few Maicos back in the day.

It's funny how this armor debate always rages on.

I have not heard of maico in years.......TNC for President......lovin Austin
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

TNC
    noMAD man

If nominated...

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    I have not heard of maico in years.......TNC for President......lovin Austin
    I will not run...if elected...I will not serve.

The rest of the state jokingly, and lovingly, refers to Austin as the San Francisco of Texas, so I'm not surprised YOU liked it...LOL! Naw, it's a nice place...just growing too fast. I'll bet you're hanging out on 6th street down there, aren't you!...with a bottle of tequila in one hand and a UT hottie in the other. If you had your bike there, you could have ridden Emma Long trail which is a neat, ledgy trail with some fun drops.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm

Let's just say I am 50 and love to ride. I don't go too big or too fast, but I'm working on it. Naturally, I crash from time to time.

Maico, Husky, CZ, Bultaco, Honda Elsinore, Suzuki, Yamaha, an occasional KX-250 Kaw or Penton. Yes, back in the day.

Members who have read this thread: 0