Moto vs. The One- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Moto vs. The One

I need new brakes. Which one has the best feel and ease of maintenance?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The one .... Formula brakes system are the best you can buy ... trust me, the modulation is simply amazing ! Compares to codes which are to me one of the strongest Breaking system on the market, i can tell you the difference easy ... the code will block your wheel easier but the strenght of the modulation is not even close to the one brakes systems... its a realy great investissement...

...idios...
    Moto 6 or V2?

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

Bike Ninja |||
    The one's are ok... great modulation, and decently low maintenance, but the Hope Moto V2s blow them away. More power then Chuck Norris' left fist (it's been debated if his right fist has more power... ) Just as good, if not better modulation, and overall cooler system temperatures, and a nicer lever design. That being said they come with a bit more maintenance. Tried them both, and the V2 came out on top.

Sold on my V2s. Best brake ever.... ever ever.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    if you like me to suggest you ... if you want the Oro 24k of formula .. are the lightest/strongest modulation you could get .... i would seriously consider the Formula brakes over the Hope, if you weight under 205 pounds, these brakes have enough power to stop you... and i swear the modulation is great... 205 pounds and lighter, any day Oro 24k/the onest > Hope brakes , w/e what people gonna say

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    he is asking a specific question, he wants to know between the brake made by formula called the "one" and brake called the "mega." The mega has a 2 piece caliper and the 1 is 1 piece. The 1 also has a pad contact adjustment, from my understanding functionaly they are the same thoug. All there other brakes are functionaly the same, the diferences are the k18 has no pad contact, the k24 does, the puro is a super light k24 and the bianco is a k24 with diferent levers. That siad i have been on my puros for 2 years and LOVE them and I will be getting my 1s this week
    Pump Tracks Are Rad!!!!

Bike Ninja |||
    Quote Originally Posted by themontashu
    he is asking a specific question, he wants to know between the brake made by formula called the "one" and brake called the "mega."

How do you get "Mega" from "Moto" ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chooofoojoo
    How do you get "Mega" from "Moto" ?
    my bad, i misread it
    Pump Tracks Are Rad!!!!

Bike Ninja |||
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard4620383
    any day Oro 24k/the onest > Hope brakes , w/e what people gonna say
    I'm sorry but that is just blind and ignorant biasing. I'll agree with you that the one will beat M4 and lower end brakes, but can't compare to the M6 or V2.

I've tried, tested, and serviced many pairs of formula brakes, and even more so of hopes. Owned both the M6 and now own the V2s. With a proper bleed on both systems, the V2 will smoke the ones.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chooofoojoo
    I'm sorry but that is just blind and ignorant biasing. I'll agree with you that the one will beat M4 and lower end brakes, but can't compare to the M6 or V2.

I've tried, tested, and serviced many pairs of formula brakes, and even more so of hopes. Owned both the M6 and now own the V2s. With a proper bleed on both systems, the V2 will smoke the ones.
    way to respond with ignorant bias as well dude, you don't know how a brake is going to preform that you havn't ridden or probably even seen. You dont even mention riding the oro series on the trail. You also mention that your RIDE hopes, so way to go.
    Pump Tracks Are Rad!!!!

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Have Hope sorted the issues out with the V2's now?

Formula for me, the V2 is a completely unnacepable weight. Hell, its 'almost' twice the weight of the Formula. That just makes me LOL.

Im a Cowboy
    Dont get hope if you want fit and forget
    DON'T TELL ME I'M STILL ON THAT FECKIN' ISLAND! ....

...idios...
    "Have Hope sorted the issues out with the V2's now?"

Yes. Although there are still some early calipers in circulation, the new version is 'fixed'. They're differentiated by a line engraved on the 'fin' portion at the back (or bottom, if it's on the front) of the caliper. If you buy a caliper which doesn't have a line, and experience problems (outboard piston sticking or leaking), Hope will exchange it for you.

The 203mm floating rotor version is quoted at (depending on mount) 554g, all in; the Formula is quoted 475g all in with a 200mm. That's 'almost' 80g. If you're bothered by that, take a dump before you ride.

I haven't had the pleasure of trying the Formula's, and I'd keep my Moto M6's over the V2. The V2's felt dry to me and had too much initial bite for my liking. The M6 modulation is very even in its progression, has lots more brake at the end of the stroke and has a much lighter/softer (not in a spongey way) lever feel than the V2. I can also run my preferred 183mm rear with the M6; V2's require 203mm front and rear. Neither brake suffered from notable deterioration on long downhills (although I am quite economical with my brakes), but I found the hardness at the lever on the V2 more stressful on my hands and forearms.

The V2's can be considerably easier to install/set-up than the 6's.

Diogenes

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The 203mm floating rotor version is quoted at (depending on mount) 554g, all in; the Formula is quoted 475g all in with a 200mm. That's 'almost' 80g. If you're bothered by that, take a dump before you ride.
    Thats not strictly true. The bare weight of the F&R Formula levers, hose & calipers = 491g. The bare weight of the V2 in same guise is 696.

Assuming the caliper bolts, mounts & disk bolts are roughtly the same, thats 200g minimum. If you go for the vented rotor option, the Hope disks weigh in at 580g, Vs the Formula disks at 346g.

Thats 439g diffference, or 1lb. Just in brakes alone.

Anyway, how does having a sh*t before you go for a ride make any difference to how much your bike weighs?

Bike Ninja |||
    Quote Originally Posted by themontashu
    way to respond with ignorant bias as well dude, you don't know how a brake is going to preform that you havn't ridden or probably even seen. You dont even mention riding the oro series on the trail. You also mention that your RIDE hopes, so way to go.
    I've extensively rode and tested the formula oro series as well as the one... the performace was lackluster, even properly bleed and different pad compound tested. I mention that I own hopes, because i've tested them all, and found them to be the superior product.

...idios...
    "Thats not strictly true...Assuming the caliper bolts, mounts & disk bolts are roughtly the same, thats 200g minimum. If you go for the vented rotor option, the Hope disks weigh in at 580g, Vs the Formula disks at 346g."

The floater weighs 203g. I was talking about the floating rotor, wasn't I? Yes, I was.

Diogenes

mtbr member
    May 2007
    the only thing i wanted to say about this are from my racing experience, i have ride Avid codes, Hope M6 and M4, Juicy Seven, formula the one, Formula oro 24k, and i can tell by my own experience that at the moment, the best brakes system ive use is the formula oro 24k and the one, idk how you ride but here blocking your wheel is making you going slower and the modulation helps you to keep your speed, these brakes have enormous modulation power, the only way i can see someone hating on this brakes, if its the rider weight over 215 pounds ... under this, i cant see someone telling me than these brakes have a lack of power..... for me if someoen ask me what kind of brakes system he should use, any day im gonna recommend the oro 24k or the one series....

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The floater weighs 203g. I was talking about the floating rotor, wasn't I? Yes, I was.
    And I was taking about the vented rotor, wasn't I? Yes, I was.

Regardless of that, its still over 250g difference even if you sub the vented for the floater (thats mildly ironic, calling it the floater).

Half a pound of saving straight off, not bad going if you do that in a few other places as well

Plus you don't have the hit and miss approach Hope seem to have with thier brakes. Best 'Hope' you get a good set.

...idios...
    You made the point that the V2 was almost twice the weight of the The One, which it isn't, not even almost. The lever/caliper/hose weighs 328g, plus 203g for a rotor and, say, 40g for the bolts and adaptor. A total of 571g. The Formula weighs 239g (non-braided hose), 181g (for a smaller rotor) and then the 40g for adaptor and bolts, making 460g. The difference here is 111g, which isn't even 25%.

I don't actually care about which brake is lighter, or even which brake either of us or anyone thinks is "better", but if you're going to throw 'comparisons' into a discussion at least try to make them appropriate and fair.

Diogenes

mtbr member
    where do you guys buy formula breaks?

i know you can buy directly from them but online dealers

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Can any of you give a fairly simple comparison regarding stopping power, modulation, weight and price between the brakes?

Codes-
    Motos
    Ones-

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dace
    Can any of you give a fairly simple comparison regarding stopping power, modulation, weight and price between the brakes?

Codes-
    Motos
    Ones-
    No one is going to know anything as far as performance goes for the ones, quality has had them in since like friday. I have a pair that shipped today that should be in on friday. Give it a couple weeks though, realisticly its going to take a bit for people to have any real opinions on them.
    Pump Tracks Are Rad!!!!

ride hard take risks
    If you dont know what a Brake is then you dont need to worry.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr remember
    wow, hard to learn anything about these brakes here with all the "my dad can beat up your dad" jive talk going on....

sure would like to give'em a try myself though.
    Schralp it Heavy.

Im a Cowboy
    +1..fanbois...dontcha just love em
    DON'T TELL ME I'M STILL ON THAT FECKIN' ISLAND! ....

Members who have read this thread: 0