Moto Chest Protectors?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

New question here. Moto Chest Protectors?

I have been seeing a lot of people with moto chest protectors/roost guards lately and was wondering how many of you are wearing these? They seem to breath a lot better than pressure suits and give just the right amount of protection. What do you think?
    Go BIG or Go HOME

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I like my pressure suit. I've tried the moto chest protectors and they make me feel like a robot. I think the pressure suit gives more mobility.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikemybike011
    You don't like a fork because it's popular? That's the most retarded reason I have ever heard of.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by idaho biker 90
    I like my pressure suit. I've tried the moto chest protectors and they make me feel like a robot. I think the pressure suit gives more mobility.

I agree

HR

Glad to Be Alive
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    SMT I already have Daniese pressure suit so I don't need that sh*t. I just hate how hot it is.
    Go BIG or Go HOME

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    From my understanding, Roost Guards were meant to keep rocks and crap(roost) from other motos from hitting your chest. And that's not really applicaable to DH. IME, I've never really been hit in the chest in a crash before. I think its a place that doesn't get hit very much

mtbr member
    Ok, first off...I haven't worn a chest protector while bicycling, ever. Not to say there haven't been times I should have but that's a different story.
    Back to topic, I have though spent many years on dirt bikes of the moto kind and have crashed in various styles of moto chest protectors and a 661 pressure suit under my leathers for SuMo.
    The pressure suit is tops for mobility and crash protection. In a 50mph low side I didn't even get a bruise after rolling across 80ft of asphalt and 20ft of dirt.

Yep, being hot sucks, being able walk away after doing something stupid...priceless.
    Bikes=Sanity

Professional Troll
    Roost guards are worthless for DH, period

percocet pioneer.
    to me it's really the spine protection, I really could give a sh!t about the chest.
    I guess there's alternatives like only wearing the arm protection but like I said, I love having my spine in tact..

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by $ally Hu$tle
    to me it's really the spine protection, I really could give a sh!t about the chest.
    I guess there's alternatives like only wearing the arm protection but like I said, I love having my spine in tact..
    Then get a spine protector? http://sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Bike...6fddff360a7Not a roost guard which does very little for your spine

percocet pioneer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05
    Then get a spine protector? http://sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Bike...6fddff360a7Not a roost guard which does very little for your spine
    I have the sixsixone pro pressure suit..
    I'm not saying I only want my spine protected..

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I know a pro who says he wears it for the shoulder protection because the shoulder pads are raised on moto guards as apposed to pressure suits
    2011 Santa Cruz V-10

2008 Giant Reign X

2007 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curler
    I know a pro who says he wears it for the shoulder protection because the shoulder pads are raised on moto guards as apposed to pressure suits
    If you're talking about the shoulders being raised on moto chest protectors, yes they are but I've still dislocated a shoulder while wearing one (highsides suck).

I've come to the conclusion after 20+ years of beating the tar out of myself that padding that disperses the blow capped with hard plastic to protect against hard/sharp objects is the way to go. This means the pressure suit style or even old school moto protectors made from foam with plastic chest/shoulder and back protection. I'll admit they are hotter and don't look as cool but they don't have sharp edges of hard plastic to either pinch yourself or catch the ground (see dislocated shoulder above).
    Bikes=Sanity

Ricky DH
    They are MUCH cooler that's for sure. I used to ride with a Fox Flak Jacket that I had to wear over my jersey. I had many crashes, one of which the bike followed me over and hit me like a 50lb sledge hammer in the back. The Flak Jacket held up just fine, and I didn't get hurt. I now use a Dianese upper and I love it, but it is quite a bit hotter.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by DSFA
    If you're talking about the shoulders being raised on moto chest protectors, yes they are but I've still dislocated a shoulder while wearing one (highsides suck).
    I've dislocated a shoulder wearing a pressure suit. Body armor isn't going to necessarily stop injuries, just make them a bit more bearable. I don't get this whole, body armor makes you invincible mentality?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05
    I've dislocated a shoulder wearing a pressure suit. Body armor isn't going to necessarily stop injuries, just make them a bit more bearable. I don't get this whole, body armor makes you invincible mentality?
    I never meant to imply you can't get hurt wearing a pressure suit but in my experience the rounded edges seem to catch on stuff less than some of the hard plastic ones.

Body armor doesn't make oneself invincible but it sure helps out in moments of "oh shhhht"
    Bikes=Sanity

mtbr member
    Oh one other thought just came to me...
    One of the best landings I had after an OTB on my mtn bike was on my camelback. Sure had a wet back and needed to buy a new bladder for the camelback but landing on rocks was never so smooth.
    Bikes=Sanity

StraightOuttaCompton
    i still think its a good idea for the less gnar trails
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member

moto roost gaurd

while moto style chest protector offers less protection then body armor ....is does have a place in mountain biking .My son wears a thor chest protector that fits very well with the leatt brace. He pulled the top arm guards off so it wouldn't interfere with the elbow pads. The plastic chest protector will still offer rasberry and some rock impact safety .

mtbr member
    I love my 2008 rockgardn pressure suit. Sure it's a little hot, but i ride mostly in mammoth where it's cooler and the MOST IMPORTANT THING is being able to walk away. I couldn't give a **** how hot i am if it means that the chances of me being hurt or even worse paralyzed are minimized. Be a little warm, or actually walk away from a bad crash, You decide
    Hey, My Picture is Finally of Me!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Not sure how a pressure suit prevents you becoming paralyzed, but ok. I was just in mammoth last weekend and I was still flipping hot.
    Go BIG or Go HOME

StraightOuttaCompton
    colby, what he may be thinking is if you somehow, but very unlikely, get whipped back or something causing your back to be severely tweeked???

I have no idea either and a moto chest protector would do that too, sems how they dont bend.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    I just bought one of these off ebay. They look kick ass...
    I'm trying minimal suit, with elbows this year. Ive tried the Icon on and its mainly upper chest protection, covers my collar bone (which I've injured), and back protection.
    It fits like a moto guard but doesent have the robot feel.

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...-ICON05-1.html
    I'm GNARcissistic

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryBoy
    Not sure how a pressure suit prevents you becoming paralyzed, but ok. I was just in mammoth last weekend and I was still flipping hot.
    Ummmmmmmmm Spine protection?

Members who have read this thread: 0